Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Honda may have some more news for us later in 2021. Another new mode using an AT based engine. For the more street oriented rider this would be awesome:

It make a lot of sense to me.

Dan

·
Administrator
3,427 Posts
Well Honda may have some more news for us later in 2021. Another new mode using an AT based engine. For the more street oriented rider this would be awesome:

It make a lot of sense to me.

Dan
I think that it has since been confirmed that it will use the AT 1100 power plant and DCT on the DCT model. I forget where I saw that now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
I think that it has since been confirmed that it will use the AT 1100 power plant and DCT on the DCT model. I forget where I saw that now.

Yeah, for sure. Some articles appear to indicate the one liter mill. I wonder if Honda is positioning the inline twin 1100 as their general all-purpose goto lump for all things fun and efficient.

·
Administrator
3,427 Posts
Yeah, for sure. Some articles appear to indicate the one liter mill. I wonder if Honda is positioning the inline twin 1100 as their general all-purpose goto lump for all things fun and efficient.
It seems that way doesn't it? The Rebel 1100 already will be using it.

The Talon and Pioneer are also likely due for an update since the current models use the CRF-1000'S engine. I am guessing we will soon seem Talon and Pioneer 1100 models.

I am sure it keeps R&D and manufacturing costs down.

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
It seems that way doesn't it? The Rebel 1100 already will be using it.

The Talon and Pioneer are also likely due for an update since the current models use the CRF-1000'S engine. I am guessing we will soon seem Talon and Pioneer 1100 models.

I am sure it keeps R&D and manufacturing costs down.

I really like the AT block. As artistically ugly as it is, it is functionally reliable - at least for me so far. I hope its implementation on new Honda models improves upon ease of maintenance (i.e. access to things). I have never has a bad Honda engine experience. I hope I never do.

·
Administrator
3,427 Posts
I really like the AT block. As artistically ugly as it is, it is functionally reliable - at least for me so far. I hope its implementation on new Honda models improves upon ease of maintenance (i.e. access to things). I have never has a bad Honda engine experience. I hope I never do.
Yeah. My brother in law has a 1974 CB750. For whatever other issues it may have had over the years, the engine has never been one of them. Honda builds a solid engine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It makes me happy to see this engine being put to such good use in so many other things, that even though I was a relatively early adopter with my '17, honda has deemed it worthy. I don't seem to have heard any reports of issues with this motor.

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
(+1) Also, for a water-cooled twin implementation, the lump doesn't look too bad. Maybe harder to see on an AT, but more showcased on a CMX1100 and maybe on the NT1100.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
348 Posts
Curious to see if they tweak any more power out of it. Then see if it would be possible to upgrade my 2020 AT with some of the mods if not prohibitively expensive. I might be interested in this version if the bump up the power a bit over the AT (say about 110 -115) and drop some weight off of it (under 500 wet).

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Curious to see if they tweak any more power out of it. Then see if it would be possible to upgrade my 2020 AT with some of the mods if not prohibitively expensive. I might be interested in this version if the bump up the power a bit over the AT (say about 110 -115) and drop some weight off of it (under 500 wet).
Difficult to predict at this point. Depends on target market. If the market is for all-purpose daily riding and grinding in urban-like congestion, then I suspect the engine will be tuned more for torque. Even highway touring they still may bias towards torque in order to keep it better-planted for urban use. It would be surprising if spec'ed horsepower gets above the current CRF1100.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
348 Posts
I can't exactly say they tuned the current 1100 for peak power. I can't believe they lowered it even more for the Rebel 1100. It isn't like this was really biased toward a lot of power.

To put this in perspective compare it to my KTM 890 (also a parallel twin with 270 degree firing order)

KTM 890R
HP 119 @ 9250
TQ 73 lb-ft @ 7750

AT
HP 100 @ 7500
TQ 77 lb-ft @ 6250

I can't say the Duke's motor is highly strung, it is a torque monster. Most dyno plots I've seen show it making 100 HP at the wheel at a lower RPM than the 1100 AT is making at the crank and with 200cc less. As for TQ, a very broad an flat torque curve with almost the same TQ at 6k as at peak and most dynos showing high 60's or right at 70 lb-ft, again at the wheel.

So my point is, Honda could easily wring more HP/TQ out of it without compromising drivability or giving up low-end power. If KTM can pretty much match the AT at almost any RPM, then Honda should be able to do it. Heck, the Duke 890R is putting out pretty close 60 lb-ft at the rear wheel by 4k RPM.

So let's tweak the CB/NT or whatever they want to call it and have it put out 120+ HP. Keep the weight under 500 pounds wet and I'll be first in line at the dealer to buy one. If KTM can do it with less motor, Honda should easily be able to pull it off. I still have no idea why they detuned and already detuned motor and put in the Rebel. Not like it is going to put out 90 lb-ft of TQ...

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Honda has been doing the street bike detune thing for quite awhile now. I reckon it has to do with everyday real-world rideability (a balanced approach to power delivery), fuel economy and emissions. One thing seems apparent across their line: The engines last a long time before major service (if ever), including their lawn mowers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely not a track rider. And considering where I prefer to ride... Tight twisty mountain roads, torn up back roads, forgotten forestry roads and trails, the power is more than enough for me on the AT. In fact it's overkill, though for the infrequent interstate runs its good. I'm not much into spec sheets, but I love seeing high torque numbers low in the rev range. This is all I really care about.

No judgment intended for anyone who feels differently, but I prefer mellow unstressed powerplants. Especially in a bike like this where I'm favoring reliability and longevity over adrenaline rushes.

I picked up an aftermarket slip on. In my research, listening to clips, reading comments, I got a chuckle at the ones talking about that now they'll know what these new bikes will sound like. I imagine the unbaffled Remus will be popular on the rebel. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Fresh update posted here:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts