Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new gold rim DCT this weekend and it is interesting so far.

45 yrs old....own several bikes and I like to try things out.

I really need a windshield :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the club! Don't spend lots of $ experimenting with windshields like I did, just go for the Madstad adjustable brackets and shield. Most shields aren't going to help much, as they mount in the same position as the oem. The Madstad moves the shield forward maybe 2 inches, where air can go under it, relieving vacuum behind shield that causes buffeting. Works great for me at 6' 2" ! A little pricey, but in my opinion, well worth it......
Happy riding.
PS My AT is a 2016 with manual trans. Am thinking of buying a 2018 with the DCT to try it out. Let us know what you think of the DCT. Most folks seem to really love it. I know I would NEVER purchase a manual transmission in my 1 ton pickups, or our car, even if available.
PPSS It really is helpful iff you put your location in your profile!

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I added the Batzen Bracket to my windscreen so that I could adjust it. It really seemed to help, especially in combination with the Swegotech Forkshield to stop that updraft issue and vibration from the fork tunnel.

Really enjoying the DCT. My wife liked it so much after riding mine a few times, that she just decided to trade in her BMW F800GS on a DCT model of her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everything is a compromise.
DCT isn't perfect, it has pros and cons that work for some.
I really like mine, but it doesn't slow launch as well as I do, it rides the clutch too long, especially when cold. Oddly last night for the first time, when I accelerated from a stop the bike stalled, good thing it didn't catch me off guard, the bike barely moved an inch.
The bike won't have the same clutch habits as you, nor will it shift at exactly the right,(same), time as you, but it's pretty good.
I think the drive modes are accurate; if you just want to drive, use D, but if you're feeling sporty, use S, if you want manual, do that. For rolling hills or slow/fast sections I like manual to keep the bike from constantly shifting when it doesn't need to, plenty of low torque. Also when you hit the binders, the ECU will downshift to anticipate acceleration, but often it's not needed, so I like manual mode.
For some reason I've found myself push starting every bike I've owned at some point and last night I was recently reminded of the very real fear of a low battery. After a brief stop she turned over kinda slow and it made me think how silly it would feel to be stranded with a "low" not flat battery while sitting on top of a huge hill, (which I was). I think I'd feel better if there was a way to manually engage the clutch in an emergency.
All in all I like the DCT; it's not better or worse, just different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did buy a MadStad windshield and that has been really great...very quiet and smooth. I like the bike much better now. The shifting seems to be really close to what I would do with a clutch bike when the DCT is in S2....so I pretty much just use that all the time.

So far the bike is great and I am pleased. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts