Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking here and gathering info for a while, figured it was time to introduce myself. Been riding since I was 12, am 50 now. For the last ten years I have been on a KLR, both gen 1 and gen 2. Rode and camped all over AZ and did a trip to Colorado that was great, but showed me I wanted a different bike for long distance rides.

Last week I traded my KLR for a leftover 2018 ATAS manual. Keeping it on pavement until I get a little more protection on it. This bike is just too pretty and I don’t want to scratch it if I can help it. So far I am very pleased. It has great road manners.

Thanks to all for the info that helped me pick my new bike, looking forward to being a part of the group.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Been lurking here and gathering info for a while, figured it was time to introduce myself. Been riding since I was 12, am 50 now. For the last ten years I have been on a KLR, both gen 1 and gen 2. Rode and camped all over AZ and did a trip to Colorado that was great, but showed me I wanted a different bike for long distance rides.

Last week I traded my KLR for a leftover 2018 ATAS manual. Keeping it on pavement until I get a little more protection on it. This bike is just too pretty and I don’t want to scratch it if I can help it. So far I am very pleased. It has great road manners.

Thanks to all for the info that helped me pick my new bike, looking forward to being a part of the group.
Hi and welcome

Had a KLR too, sturdy dependable and CHEAP..(compared to the KLR the AT loves to see the bottom of your wallet)
I got a 18 AS DCT, and L O V E IT
Two things I’ve noticed coming from the KLR the AT is better balanced and better off road, especially in ruts, but a lot less forgiving when she tips, you’ll definitely notice the extra weight.
Also on gravel at around 70/80 and above it’s a bit more squirrelly, but then I’ve still got the OEM 99% street tires on it... I don’t have to tell you how nice it is to have a bike that you can open up on some back gravel road and easily get to 100+ with out a tail wind from a tornado pushing you...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and welcome

Had a KLR too, sturdy dependable and CHEAP..(compared to the KLR the AT loves to see the bottom of your wallet)
I got a 18 AS DCT, and L O V E IT
Two things I’ve noticed coming from the KLR the AT is better balanced and better off road, especially in ruts, but a lot less forgiving when she tips, you’ll definitely notice the extra weight.
Also on gravel at around 70/80 and above it’s a bit more squirrelly, but then I’ve still got the OEM 99% street tires on it... I don’t have to tell you how nice it is to have a bike that you can open up on some back gravel road and easily get to 100+ with out a tail wind from a tornado pushing you...
Happy to hear you like the AS in the dirt. I really don’t want to give up riding the rougher stuff. Already seeing that the aftermarket stuff costs significantly more for this bike but I expected that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts