Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just picked up a like new 2018 ATAS with 1900 miles on the clock. Showroom condition. I've been following this site for a few years in anticipation of grabbing an ATAS on a deal. I also purchaced the OEM panniers and top box. The mounting bracket for the top box as supplied apparently is not the correct bracket for the steel tubular rack. I have searched everywhere for an answer to whether there is a different way to mount the stock carrier bracket. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great site and great imput from all!

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Hey VFrin - Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your AT acquisition. Hopefully you'll easily resolve the mounting bracket issue with feedback from Forum experts.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Hello everyone. I just picked up a like new 2018 ATAS with 1900 miles on the clock. Showroom condition. I've been following this site for a few years in anticipation of grabbing an ATAS on a deal. I also purchaced the OEM panniers and top box. The mounting bracket for the top box as supplied apparently is not the correct bracket for the steel tubular rack. I have searched everywhere for an answer to whether there is a different way to mount the stock carrier bracket. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great site and great imput from all!
Yea the standard AT & the AS have some things that will fit and some that will not. Unfortunately quite a few sites just think that a Africa Twin part is just a Africa Twin part. In the ‘18 the AS has a different rear rack. It’s tubular and longer as you noticed also, depending on what you are getting, there will also be differences in between the DCT and clutch versions. It can get very confusing, I’ve found that the best way to know is to ask the manufacturer, the seller sometimes know for sure too. Yea, it can be a real PITA for us. And now, Honda threw in the mix the 2020’s so that brings the total of models/sub models up to 12 (I think). I say kudos to Honda for the quick upgrades and improvements but man that does kinda make for one parts nightmare..
BTW congrats on your new ‘baby”

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I too am a new guy. I bought a new 2019 ATAS DCT about a month ago and love it. I also bought the OE panniers and top box and lo and behold...the top box does not fit the AS, or rather they never made a bracket to mount it. However, I found a really nice SHAD mounting bracket that fits the ATAS and moves the box mount into a horizontal position so the backrest is more passenger friendly. However, the SHAD bracket is too narrow to pick up the front mounting holes for the OE mounting plate. So I went to a local machine shop and had them make a simple plate to go between them. Works really nicely. Cost about $150 but it means I have matching luggage and only one key.

Also got OE low seat ad My legs are short and installed a pair of Denali 2.0 aux lights. Love it so far. Let me know of you need more info on the box mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts