Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

Have a 2017 DCT with 10,500 miles. Until now, never had an issue with DCT (except for jerking into 1st when cold).

Last week I was slowing down on the freeway to exit. Bike downshifted to 2nd. When I sped up again (traffic eased), the bike stayed in 2nd to 4,500+ rpm. Paddle upshifting worked. Once I came to a stop and started again, no problem. This happened again a day later, in similar circumstances (freeway riding in 6th, then slowing).

A couple of days after that, I was on a freeway onramp, accelerating to highway speed, when the DCT held 3rd. Again, paddle upshifting worked and after that no issues.

I changed my front tire yesterday (trying a Shinko 705 as the Conti TA 2 was near end of life). This morning I went for a test ride. Went into gear with no problem (S2 mode as always). Crested the hill outside my house (0.1 miles) then began a steep downslope of 0.5 miles. Noticed the bike stuck in 1st. Dash indicator showed '-' — first time for that. Paddle shifting wouldn't work. I came to a stop on the flat, shifted to N, then started off in D. No problems after that.

These issues seem progressive, which worries me. Any advice? I always change the DCT filter when I change the oil (last time about 2,000 miles ago).

Thanks!

/adam

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,991 Posts
I wonder if doing a reset on the drive would help?
You would think if it is some timing issues because of the new difference in timing because the new O.D. size of the front tire it would be an issue all the time not just after a slowdown downshift. But it dose seem kinda weird that it starts to happen after the front tire change(?)...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if doing a reset on the drive would help?
You would think if it is some timing issues because of the new difference in timing because the new O.D. size of the front tire it would be an issue all the time not just after a slowdown downshift. But it dose seem kinda weird that it starts to happen after the front tire change(?)...
Yes, but recall that the initial issues arose BEFORE I changed the tire.

I do agree that a DCT reset may be in order.

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
****, hope it all works out for you....and any future DCT owners. I bought manual , maybe in 5-8 yrs I'd buy an AT DCT, they should have worked out the BUGS by then.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've read of multiple cases of gear change motor actuator problems with the DCT. Behaviour is like you described: progressive difficulties in changing gears... up to a complete stop of the motor (i.e. impossible to change gear). Cases happened on old 2016-2017 Africa Twins with some thousand kilometers (usually more than yours, but who know...).
Someone unmounted the actuator, cleaned up the motor and solved the problem.
I would suggest a visit to the Honda dealer. They would probably replace it, instead of cleaning.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read of multiple cases of gear change motor actuator problems with the DCT. Behaviour is like you described: progressive difficulties in changing gears... up to a complete stop of the motor (i.e. impossible to change gear)
That's kind of worrisome...do you have a link? I don't have a lot of time to deal with a (typically unresponsive) local Honda dealer before a weekend trip scheduled for the end of the month.

Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's kind of worrisome...do you have a link? I don't have a lot of time to deal with a (typically unresponsive) local Honda dealer before a weekend trip scheduled for the end of the month.
Thanks.
Yeah, I understand your point.
I've read that on an italian Africa Twin Facebook forum. This is the link to the post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MCAfricaTwinItalia/permalink/10158322950497195/
If you don't have access, I'll try to summarise the text.
The OP had your same symptoms: could not change gear (especially when the engine was warm). After about 15 days, the Honda dealer succeeded in finding the root cause, replacing the gear change actuator motor and solving the problem. Some other posters complained that other Honda dealers could not find the cause of the problem because they did not have any previous case history (did not know where to put their hands!).
All ATs were MY2016 with several thousand kms (between 30k and 73k). Images of the part follow (it's just above the pinion).

I would suggest a visit to your dealer explaining the symptoms and "suggesting" the exiting cases. It's an easy part to replace, so it have sense to replace it in order to verify if it is the cause of the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the same issue intermittently. Usually paddling up or down fixes it, but once I had to come to a full stop and go into "D"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I understand your point.
I've read that on an italian Africa Twin Facebook forum.
If you don't have access, I'll try to summarise the text.
The OP had your same symptoms: could not change gear (especially when the engine was warm). After about 15 days, the Honda dealer succeeded in finding the root cause, replacing the gear change actuator motor and solving the problem. Some other posters complained that other Honda dealers could not find the cause of the problem because they did not have any previous case history (did not know where to put their hands!).
All ATs were MY2016 with several thousand kms (between 30k and 73k). Images of the part follow (it's just above the pinion).

I would suggest a visit to your dealer explaining the symptoms and "suggesting" the exiting cases. It's an easy part to replace, so it have sense to replace it in order to verify if it is the cause of the problem.
Do you think shops would allow us to buy the gear change actuator motor? If this is a common issue I think having a couple on hand would be good to have if anyone plans on owning this bike for the long term 10+yrs.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Do you think shops would allow us to buy the gear change actuator motor? If this is a common issue I think having a couple on hand would be good to have if anyone plans on owning this bike for the long term 10+yrs.
Actually it is the first time I've heard of that defect. Considering the number of Africa Twins out there, I would not say it's common. The missing case history confirms that.
Anyway, probably the only way to answer your question is to try order the parts:
31300-MJP-G81 is the motor assembly
91301-MJP-G81 is the O-ring

Attached is the exploded diagram of the part

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually it is the first time I've heard of that defect. Considering the number of Africa Twins out there, I would not say it's common. The missing case history confirms that.
Anyway, probably the only way to answer your question is to try order the parts:
31300-MJP-G81 is the motor assembly
91301-MJP-G81 is the O-ring

Attached is the exploded diagram of the part
From what I've seen on the main AT group on Facebook and the Adventure Sports groups, the 2018 ATAS has had a lot of these gear issues where it's stalling, sticking gears, or the sticking gear problem gets progressively worse. But thanks for the part numbers and diagram.

The main thing is I like to have these extra parts "just in case", I think the next generation AT's DCT will be fine, but there's always a few hiccups when implementing this type of tech where it hasn't been before, IE; an adventure bike where it will be bashed, used and abused on the trails.

·
Registered
445 Posts
From what I've seen on the main AT group on Facebook and the Adventure Sports groups, the 2018 ATAS has had a lot of these gear issues where it's stalling, sticking gears, or the sticking gear problem gets progressively worse. But thanks for the part numbers and diagram.

The main thing is I like to have these extra parts "just in case", I think the next generation AT's DCT will be fine, but there's always a few hiccups when implementing this type of tech where it hasn't been before, IE; an adventure bike where it will be bashed, used and abused on the trails.
Well, an actuator motor is not really "new tech" :grin2:, but you're right: often simpler (but essential) parts are oversighted and taken for granted.

Anyway this is really the first time I read of this specific problem. Often DCT gear change issues are battery-related, especially when powering up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
@deltabi, I've had this same issue, where when I slow down and then accelerate a bit, the transmission will click several times like it is hunting for a gear and then finally change. But by that time the motor is reving too high. Usually when dropping into 2nd gear and then accelerating, but sometimes just coasting and then lightly accelerating . I thought that my oil was low, but checked it and it wasn't. Thanks for enlightening us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issue in Sport mode at running temperature, my dealership had to get Honda's advice on reflash the system, taking in Saturday will let you know if it improves the situation. I'm also going to show them this thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The motor alone is $167US at Partzilla. I don't think I would keep such an expensive spare, "just in case".
That's not too bad at all honestly, buy 2 extra and it should last the lifetime of the motorcycle, decades. vacuum seal and stick it in a parts bin on the shelf :smile2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts