Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm rtfm from the Southeast UK. Sorry to start as a new member leeching for help on a first post but here we go anyway!

Some scumbags attempted to steal my 2017 DCT but didn't get very far. However they did break the steering lock and ignition barrel.

I've just had a quote back for fixing after the mechanic has had a look - £3800+ vat and labour :oops: to fix (new barrel/ignition, fuel cap, locks, ecu, top yoke, handlebars and risers. He has offered to use 2nd hand parts but that is still over 2k.

I know the ecu is mad money and I understand there is a lot of labour involved but can anyone definitively tell me if this is the kind of price I should expect or if indeed the ECU would need to be replaced? I don't believe the mechanic (not a Honda dealer as they all seem to be shut) is trying to rip me off but wow that is crazy money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

rtfm.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Hi All,

I'm rtfm from the Southeast UK. Sorry to start as a new member leeching for help on a first post but here we go anyway!

Some scumbags attempted to steal my 2017 DCT but didn't get very far. However they did break the steering lock and ignition barrel.

I've just had a quote back for fixing after the mechanic has had a look - £3800+ vat and labour :oops: to fix (new barrel/ignition, fuel cap, locks, ecu, top yoke, handlebars and risers. He has offered to use 2nd hand parts but that is still over 2k.

I know the ecu is mad money and I understand there is a lot of labour involved but can anyone definitively tell me if this is the kind of price I should expect or if indeed the ECU would need to be replaced? I don't believe the mechanic (not a Honda dealer as they all seem to be shut) is trying to rip me off but wow that is crazy money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

rtfm.
Hi and welcome
I’m in the US and to me that sounds average(?) it does sound like quite a bit of work if that much damage was done. I take it the ECU because of HISS ? It can’t be flashed to accept the new key?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for the response, yeah they've told me the ecu is because of the HISS and it all being tied together although I don't know enough about it to say either way.

I've asked if they can bypass, re programme the HISS as I don't really care if it is working or not - if someone steals the bike I'm not going to see it again so my insurers are not going to know.

I'm also not going to bother with the steering lock at home as if I'd left it off, they wouldn't have done all this damage.

I understand you don't have HISS in the US and after this I think that's a very good thing :)

Thanks again,

Rob.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sorry to hear about the scum having a go...ive been there before!
glad they didn't get it, ive installed an alarmed wifi cctv system over mine these days

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
Crap, sorry to read rtfm. Those punks are a waste of skin.

Essentially your bike was vandalized, which in my opinion is worse than theft. The violation feels more personal. Thousands of dollars might sound about right. (jeez)

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you find a comfortable resolution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DoubleThumper - You're right it is personal, the thought of some scumbags sneaking around my garden is worse than the actual crime. It's going to be 2k and a week to fix but then what's to say they won't be back again for a second go? My insurance excess is 2k and I sure as hell couldn't afford to get it fixed a 2nd time. Even worse if by some miracle these people are caught (certainly not for my crime as the police literally closed the case as I reported it on the phone), in the UK there is basically no punishment. There's also no point booby trapping it and ending up with them vandalising the house (or worse).

zippysworld - the alarmed cctv sounds good, can you recommend a system?

I did have a cheapo tracker on the bike which would text me when tampered with but I stopped using it after so many false alerts and the rubbish battery life. Maybe time to dig that out again too...

·
Registered
400 Posts
DoubleThumper - You're right it is personal, the thought of some scumbags sneaking around my garden is worse than the actual crime. It's going to be 2k and a week to fix but then what's to say they won't be back again for a second go? My insurance excess is 2k and I sure as **** couldn't afford to get it fixed a 2nd time. Even worse if by some miracle these people are caught (certainly not for my crime as the police literally closed the case as I reported it on the phone), in the UK there is basically no punishment. There's also no point booby trapping it and ending up with them vandalising the house (or worse).

zippysworld - the alarmed cctv sounds good, can you recommend a system?

I did have a cheapo tracker on the bike which would text me when tampered with but I stopped using it after so many false alerts and the rubbish battery life. Maybe time to dig that out again too...
Yes mate I can.
For a while I used the Ring spotlight cam which is good but you need to charge it a lot and have a strong wifi near your bike, on top of that you have a £2.50 ppm charge.
Couple of months ago I swapped it out for a Eufy 2c camera, mainly to keep the footage on its own server and no subscription charge.
It also has human detection so no cat warnings and you can trigger the alarm outside or in your own house.
Im very impressed so far, and now I know if someones near my bike and me and "Lucille' can go and say Hi

Amazon link for Eufy 2c

1 - 10 of 10 Posts