Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been riding Honda's from the Honda 70 days. All of my riding has been off -road. Took a break from riding and then about 10 years ago bought a Honda CRF 230 after buying my son a Honda 50. He moved up through the Honda line and now races a Honda CRF 250R. I bought a Honda CRF 250x to try to keep up with him on the trails. We are looking to do the Transamerica Trail in a 2018 -2019. Would really like to stick with Honda. Have looked at the CRF 650L but hate to buy a 20 year old technology bike. We love the looks of the Africa Twin but are worried that it might be to big of a bike for some of the Colorado and Utah trails. Look forward to learning more about the Africa Twin on this forum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A new Africa Twin DCT Owner

Well despite hearing from several people that have ridden the Transamerica Trail on an Africa Twin that it is not the best bike for the Transamerica Trail. I decide to buy an Africa Twin anyway. Picked up a Red 2016 Africa Twin with DCT on Friday. Went with the DCT because both my son and I love the Recluse clutches we have in our 250's and everyone said the DCT is like having a bike with a Recluse. My son and I will get some riding experience on it and decide whether to buy another one for our ride next year or pick up a Honda 250L Rally and alternate riding the Twin and the Rally on our TAT ride. Have ordered a center stand, 12 volt accessory, and a taller windshield along with Scorpion EXO-AT950 helmet, Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket and Pants, Flaco Adventour Boots and Icon Raidon Gloves. Planning to order Givi crash bars when they get them in stock. Also looking to add a Signal Dynamics Back off device for the rear brake light and turn signals. Haven't decided what to do about tires. From reading reviews it looks like it is between the Midas EO7 and the Dunlop 606. Planning to stick with the stock skid plate. Not sure about putting bark busters on the bike. The handguards seem pretty flimsy and look like they would break with any kind of fall. Bark busters have been lever savers on our Honda 250's.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Take a look at the BDR (Back Country Discovery Routes) web site, Honda now sponsors them and they used the AT on their latest Nevada BDR.

Definitely not the best on single tracks but for fire roads, forest service roads and for getting to those areas, probably one of the best. Although more fuel capacity would have been very nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts