Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see several companies offering the pillion rack for the passengers seat. I don't see anyone moving the mounting point for the top box to the passenger seat, moving the weight forward. Is this a bad idea or just not seeing it? My thought was move the box forward, put a back rest on it (realize it might be tighter getting on and off) and store more light weight item on the rear for the long trips.

Any advice and help would be great. I have a cnc plasma machine at home so I was going to make my own racks.

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
To start @azmking, welcome to the Forum. Feel free to showcase your beast to the Forum.

In terms of "... might be tighter getting on and off ...", you can leverage the left driver foot peg to mount and dismount. This "should" help you navigate better with pillion objects. If the OEM side stand makes you queezy, consider the Camel ADV side stand. It is solid - no afterthoughts.

·
Registered
514 Posts
When I took a road tour a while back, I had a box in the regular place and a stuffed 50-liter duffel between me and the box. It was amazing how much better my back felt up against that duffel. I had to hop up on the peg and draw my right leg up high to get on, but now I do that as a matter of course. I've never worried about the sidestand--I don't claw my way on like I'm climbing a tree.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I took a road tour a while back, I had a box in the regular place and a stuffed 50-liter duffel between me and the box. It was amazing how much better my back felt up against that duffel. I had to hop up on the peg and draw my right leg up high to get on, but now I do that as a matter of course. I've never worried about the sidestand--I don't claw my way on like I'm climbing a tree.
I do the same as you. Works great.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I see several companies offering the pillion rack for the passengers seat. I don't see anyone moving the mounting point for the top box to the passenger seat, moving the weight forward. Is this a bad idea or just not seeing it? My thought was move the box forward, put a back rest on it (realize it might be tighter getting on and off) and store more light weight item on the rear for the long trips.

Any advice and help would be great. I have a cnc plasma machine at home so I was going to make my own racks.
I’ve been thinking about making some brackets that will enable me to slide the box forward. I have a fab and machine shop so I’ll post here if I get around to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts