Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals I really need your help. I'm a experience rider but a short rider. I'm 5'8'' and my wife like to join me on day rides as my passenger. Could a africa twin work for us. Im tempted by bmw gs but at heart I'm a honda guy. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
al

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Cranbrook,
I am 5' 5" and I have an AT DCT with low seat, the At has the perfect ride mode for passengers "URBAN MODE", your wife will love to ride it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi AL, welcome to the forum. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I'm a little better than balls of my feet, but can't quite flat foot. I haven't really paid much attention, but there are posts and info around discussing lowering the bike. I really can't speak intelligently about it, but hopefully some guys will chime in.

I came to the AT from standards and cruisers. My last bike was a harley sportster so it was a bit of an adjustment to ride a tall bike. I got used to it pretty quick and enjoy both the greater ground clearance and better visibility.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
My wife is 5'8" with a 32" inseam. She rides her 2017 AT with the standard OEM seat in the low position and has been happy with that combination. You really need to try it for yourself on a test ride. Everyone is a little different :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
Welcome to the Forum CBM. Unfortunately I am over 6' 1" and like the seat high. I come from smaller bikes riding two up. So I have every expectation that the AT will be fine with two up (I have not done it yet, but coming).

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,973 Posts
Hi and welcome,

My other half had no issues two up with me and she’s 5’1” she loves my Corbin seat and how much room she has compared to my old bike. Not to mention the nice smooth shifting of the DCT.
I’m about your height and own a 18 ATAS, when you two up you’ll get a bit more sag, unless you do it a lot and adjust for it, so that in turn gets your feet a bit more on the ground too.

Reactions: Cranbrook man

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and ride a 2019 ATAS. An OEM low seat has me pretty much flat footed on the ground. When I had a 2016 AT DCT and switched to the OEM low seat it was perfect. . Totally flat-footed on the ground.

I had a 2017 BMW GSA. The Factory low model with a Corbin low seat. Totally flat-footed on the ground with a bend in the knee.

I loved the GSA. It just felt too big for me off-road If you don't plan on going off road much like only well maintained forest service roads, you can't go wrong with the GSA. I could ride that thing all day long. Everything about it, other than the off-road part was amazing. Power, comfort, a stock windscreen that worked. So well planted on the highway and twisties. The well integrated NAV unit. The electronic suspension was really nice too. Everything at a touch of a button. It was also very comfortable with my wife on the back. A push of a button to adjust the preload was great. No need to get the spanner out and turn knobs. I only added some guards to the engine heads and the corbin seat. But otherwise it came with luggage rack, hand warmers, Integrated Nav unit, crash bars, spot lights, really good ride modes, etc.

I truly do love my ATAS, but it needed suspension work to get it right. On-road it's way better than my 2016, but not as good as the BMW. Two up on the Africa Twin, you need to manually dial in preload (My wife may way 125lbs. Shhh, don't tell anyone I posted her weight) which isn't a big deal but you need to do it for the bike to handle correctly.

Again, if I didn't do 50/50 and some pretty interesting off-road at that, I'd have kept the BMW

Hi guys and gals I really need your help. I'm a experience rider but a short rider. I'm 5'8'' and my wife like to join me on day rides as my passenger. Could a africa twin work for us. Im tempted by bmw gs but at heart I'm a honda guy. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone for the extra information, Im thinking the Dct with a low seat may just do the trick. I need to figure out how much off road I will really be doing. I love all the information you guys have added

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,973 Posts
thanks everyone for the extra information, Im thinking the Dct with a low seat may just do the trick. I need to figure out how much off road I will really be doing. I love all the information you guys have added
Glad we could help, don’t forget to post some pictures of the “new baby” when you get it...

Reactions: Cuchulainn
1 - 9 of 8 Posts