Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 ATAS ES DCT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m new to the Africa Twin (21 with 5k bought this week) and currently have a Honda ST1100 with just under 110k miles on it (not all mine). Runs like it’s new but really looking forward to a bike that is built for my 6’ 6”, 300 lb frame. I hoping th AT goes the distance.

Really looking forward to hitting the BDR’s here in the states and the Trans-Continental Highway in Canada.

Hoss

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
911 Posts
Hi and welcome. If the newer bikes are like my 19 you will need some springs for your size. They came set up for 160lb rider

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
374 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
2021 has electronic suspension and can be adjusted via the touch screen.

Hoss
Hi Hoss, welcome to the forum. I have the 2020 ATAS ES DCT, which as noted by the ES has the Electronic Suspension. The initial preload was set up ideal for me at 165 lbs. No other preload adjustment was necessary. So when I select rider only, that means myself at 165 lbs. when I select rider plus luggage it is 165 lbs of me and about 80 lbs of bags and contents. 245 lbs. When I select two riders with no luggage we are talking about 330 lbs. Two riders with luggage is 330 + 80 @ 410 lbs. max weight spec for the 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT. Your bike is most likely lighter with the smaller fuel tank. So you calculations will be different. If you ride my ATAS you will need to set it at the two riders setting all the time. 300 lbs + 165 skinny co-rider + 80 lbs of luggage is 545 lbs. in other words over loading the stock suspension by about 20%. I’m doing this in my head. The dealer or a knowledgeable person needs to set your preload (mechanical spring tension) up for a single rider at 300 lbs versus my single rider at 165. Although, I am not a truly knowledgeable person, I just did a lot of reading and YouTube videos when I bought mine. I have never found an electronic preload adjustment in the settings.
And if you got this far, thanks for reading. I’m just concerned you are going to break your Africa twin and be disappointed with it. Oh, yes, and if you set it at 2 riders, it will remember that setting, but not in all riding modes.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
374 Posts
I did a week of training at AVO in Valley Forge a dozen years ago. I was amazed at how courteous the drivers were. Drivers let me out into bumper to bumper traffic and when I put on my turn signal they made a hole so I could get over. I was in my truck not on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I was amazed at how courteous the drivers were. Drivers let me out into bumper to bumper traffic and when I put on my turn signal they made a hole so I could get over. I was in my truck not on a motorcycle.were.
I had a similar experience travelling through Toronto on a trip from Kingston to Paris a few years ago but I was riding my bike. People made a hole when I wanted to change lanes and stayed as far behind me as I was behind the vehicle in front of me. When I described my trip through Toronto at the rally, most were shocked at my description of traffic. Someone asked if they could borrow my guardian angel for their trip home. I fully expected to have someone's grill scrubbing my license plate and the only hole I would see would be the one in the guardrail after I was forced through it.

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
I am currently in downtown Phoenix, AZ. Freeway lanes seem to melt away with no warning, but that could be due to ongoing construction. I'd hate to see this place with a wee bit of ice on the freeway surfaces. At least, in theory, Toronto is used to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts