Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to All,

New owner here. After researching for months to find a bike to replace my rear-ended wrecked bike, I just bought my Africa Twin yesterday. I couldn't wait to get it home and go for a ride. It had a previous owner who has a lot of other bikes so this Twin didn't get much run time. It is a 2016 with 1900 miles on the clock. Runs great and looks like new. I had two BMW's prior to this bike, a 2006 GS1200 Adventure, then a 2012 GS, so I'm not new to this kind of bike. This CRF has a very low serial number...18. So, it is a very early production model. I'm wondering if the early models were better or worse with the poor-quality control issues I have read about.

After a seven-hour drive home I took it of the trailer and started it up to take a ride around the block before putting it into the garage. Within seconds I smelled burned rubber. I hadn't noticed this at all when I test rode the bike hours earlier.

I started it again and had the very same strong odor of burning rubber again. Just like a burn-out. Now I am worried. The motor hadn't run long enough to heat up anything so I'm thinking it has to be electrical, right? It seemed to be coming from the front right side in front of the gas tank between the forks. Today I took off the plastic and removed the tank to check the wires. Can't find anything burned. Before I removed the tank, I had one of my riding buddies over to see if he could smell it, and he did...same as last night. He also located it on the right side near the radiator on that side. We can't see anything wrong, but it happens every time I start the bike. I called the P.O. who said he never had any problems with the bike at all, ever, and never smelled anything like that.

Anyone else heard of this? Is my bike gonna catch on fire?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
181 Posts
I was warned by the salesman when I bought my 2019 (new) last May, that I will smell something like burning rubber for a short while, not to worry, just the muffler. I smelled it, and it quit shortly.

However, your bike already had a few miles. Maybe it's just from sitting, not being ridden for a time.

I have 16K on it now, and had no issues, until just recently after a long, dusty ride, and getting submerged in a creek. But it's not any manufacturing defects, just wear and tear, i'm pretty sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts