Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I've gone from the Mitas E-07 to the Moto Z tractionator GPS, mounted for 50/50 use.
In another post, I complained about how difficult the Mitas was to mount, being THE most 'tight' tire I've ever done battle with.
Removal was pretty bad too, and I swear I will never mount another Mitas.
In comparison, the Moto Z went on fairly easily, harkening to my nearly two decades mounting tires on my old KLR, where I rarely had a struggle. As I recall, the Dunlop 606 was the worst, and nowhere NEAR what I went through with the Mitas.
So, we shall see how this one goes, it's a **** good looking tire, and frankly THE most expensive tire I've ever bought for a Bike. But if the claim of much higher mileage come to fruition, it should be well worth the much higher cost of other tires I've bought.
BTW, it was hard to find too, I had to drive a long way to get it, as other shops and online sources didn't have them.
I'll be testing it this weekend, I'm doing a 300 mile combination dirt track and paved excursion through the Mountains, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, a minor review. Now in addition to the new tire, I also installed an Acerbis chain guard, which I'm quite happy with although I find it VERY pricey for what it is.
The new tire, a Moto Z Tractionator GPS, is a very fine rear 50/50 tire for this bike. I was able to mud it, sand it and gravel the snot out of it, and it performed well for me. I also got lucky (?) by getting rained on, and found the wet traction extremely good, Now, wet traction is THE big factor for me as far as rating a tire is concerned, I would gladly give up some off road benefits for better on road wet performance anyday, I'm far less likely to get cut off, pulled out in front of or the dreaded turn in front of the biker scenario on a country track.
And as stated earlier, it's FAR easier to mount than that **** Mitos, so it gets a big thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mitas Dakar flair are with reinforced carcass and higher puncture resistance. The idea is to be more robust on technical terrain. I guess the downside is it is more challenging to put on/off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks robust. Did the Honda one disintegrate?
No, But it's just a plastic 'shield', and does NOT encompass the chain.
Twice in my history riding off road in the Rockies, I have hit a rock just right that it literally knocked my chain off the rear sprocket, once on a Pass in a very technical section that required a lot of technique and muscle to get me out of that situation. Very hairy!
So, I insist on a good chain guard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts