Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Have you received a recall notice for an ABS Modulator issue?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

News today of a new recall or an ABS Modulator problem. As reported in Canada Moto Guide, it affects approximately 115 vehicles here in Canada.

I checked my bike at the Honda Canada recall site and my bike was not listed, but my experience with the fuel pump recall is that it will take a few days.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Just checked and sure enough there is a 2nd recall notification. The file isn't uploaded yet, but it is listed below the tank recall.

·
Registered
2020 ADV sports
12 Posts
No but in Turkey, here they recall for replacement of fuel filter assembly.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just got an email from my shop in reference to this recall. My bike is included. They need to pull the tank to run a reader on the brake modulator. If it fails the bike becomes unrideable and is stranded until parts come in. Waiting for a reply as to what that b/o wait looks like. If it could risk the bike being on blocks for riding season I will wait until next fall.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hello all,

News today of a new recall or an ABS Modulator problem. As reported in Canada Moto Guide, it affects approximately 115 vehicles here in Canada.

I checked my bike at the Honda Canada recall site and my bike was not listed, but my experience with the fuel pump recall is that it will take a few days.
EDIT
Link is again active
Your Canada Moto Guide link and this link from their facebook page are both down. https://canadamotoguide.com/2021/02/12/honda-recall-21/

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your Canada Moto Guide link and this link from their facebook page are both down. I get the error below. https://canadamotoguide.com/2021/02/12/honda-recall-21/
View attachment 60364
I reread the email, and it is the modulator S/N they are looking for.

From the email:

more details on the brake recall have come out. They need us to pull the tank and fairings to inspect the ABS modulator serial code. If the code falls in a certain range it’s a faulty unit and a new unit must be ordered…which strands the bike while we wait for parts. If the serial code is outside that range it’s a good unit and the recall can be completed on the spot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is the worst kind of situation, surely they must have parts in the workshop to fix this on the day. How can we be expected to drop off a bike not knowing if we will get to ride it home or not? My nearest dealer is 15 miles away!

·
Super Moderator
5,625 Posts
Negotiate a courtesy shuttle service with the dealership to get back home?

Of course they may just say, "Burp! Uh, a meant Uber."

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is the worst kind of situation, surely they must have parts in the workshop to fix this on the day. How can we be expected to drop off a bike not knowing if we will get to ride it home or not? My nearest dealer is 15 miles away!
There are only 115 units in Canada on the recall list, so it likely won't impact most owners. From the small number and the fact they are looking for a specific serial number range within that 115 units leads me to believe it is a very small number of modulators that are problematic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There are only 115 units in Canada on the recall list, so it likely won't impact most owners. From the small number and the fact they are looking for a specific serial number range within that 115 units leads me to believe it is a very small number of modulators that are problematic.
I will ask them to confirm if mine is in that range when I get my bike in for the fuel pump recall. I'm sure that's how most dealers will handle that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does somebody know why the fueltank has to be removed to get the ABS modulator recall done (because the ABS modulator is located underneath the buddysesat)?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Does somebody know why the fueltank has to be removed to get the ABS modulator recall done (because the ABS modulator is located underneath the buddysesat)?
The modulator is not under the Pillion on the 1100s.

They have to visually identify the S/N. Based on the modulator position I wager that the S/N isn't visible with the tank on.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going in tomorrow for my ATAS tank recall. I'll be asking them if my bike is included in this ABS Modulator recall as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got tank recall , going in on the 17 march then phone call from dealer about abs modulator getting done on the same day plus service . If the modulator is needing done i'am getting a courtesy bike as they have to wait and get the part ordered .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Courtesy bike. Ah the differences across the pond...

Reactions: InedibleRider

·
Registered
563 Posts
Got tank recall , going in on the 17 march then phone call from dealer about abs modulator getting done on the same day plus service . If the modulator is needing done i'am getting a courtesy bike as they have to wait and get the part ordered .
It only took a couple days to receive the Modulator in my instance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just checked on Honda website, for my ATAS 1100 the verdict is :
  • Foreign material intrusion in fuel tank
  • Crf1100 - abs modulator malfunction
  • Mid preload setting value failure
I'm living in France and the recall in here began as well

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
298 Posts
Dealer has ordered the parts for the abs modulator he will contact me when it is there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts