Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Have you received a recall notice for an ABS Modulator issue?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Just got back from my local Honda dealer (UK), I called in to 'click and collect' a part and to ask them about the latest 'Android' software update that I am really struggling to load.
They looked up my bike and also mentioned that recall notices are about to go out for work to be carried out on the ABS system for my model.
Not sure what the recall involves, but fortunately for me, they will carry out the latest software update when it goes in for the recall. Mine is a 2020 standard manual version.

· Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
942 Posts
Courtesy bike. Ah the differences across the pond...
Nothing's free over here though. If you bought a bike at that dealership, you helped fund this service through dealer overhead charges & markup. Your dealers could do this too if the economics worked and the politics aren't restrictive.

· Registered
Africa Twin DCT 2020
44 Posts
Is the recall only for the ATAS? My dealer sent me a mail that there was no recall for mine AT (non AS).

· Registered
69 Posts
Just got back from my local Honda dealer (UK), I called in to 'click and collect' a part and to ask them about the latest 'Android' software update that I am really struggling to load.
They looked up my bike and also mentioned that recall notices are about to go out for work to be carried out on the ABS system for my model.
Not sure what the recall involves, but fortunately for me, they will carry out the latest software update when it goes in for the recall. Mine is a 2020 standard manual version.
Interesting. I was having mine serviced this Friday but now postponed until April so hopefully the recall will have been issued by then....

· Registered
6 Posts
The recall is known about in the UK my wife is service manager at Honda dealer, they have checked three bikes and all require a new modulator. I have checked mine and it also needs replacing. You can see the batch code on the modulator with a boroscope which saves a lot of work to see it. 9K18 is the batch on mine and it is in the list.

· Registered
19 Posts
Checked mine today. 9S17 so not a recalled one. With only taking the seat off you can actually see the last 3 digits with a flashlight and video from my phone If you mess around a bit.

Here are the ones that are recalled. Got this from my Honda dealer.

· Registered
89 Posts
This was a really useful thread. Have checked mine, and unfortunately it is in the range for replacement. I will be speaking with my dealer to make sure they have the part in stock before I drop the bike off. Not losing my bike for an indeterminate amount of time to Honda / dealer supply issues. I would rather take the risk to be honest.

· Registered
ATAS ES DCT 2020 Tri Colour
23 Posts
Hi _ did you get the Android update ? Interested to know if you can still use the 'hack' ( not in the manual but discovered on this forum by much more adept members than me) that you can NOT pair a headset but just hold 'return' or back switch on LH handle bar cluster and the at least Apple Car play works without a headset - though you may need to have a headset paired just once to use this undocumented feature . Getting a UK update for AT AS oem fog lights operation next week. Hope it means the switch works when it should and not erratically.

· Registered
51 Posts
Hi _ did you get the Android update ? Interested to know if you can still use the 'hack' ( not in the manual but discovered on this forum by much more adept members than me) that you can NOT pair a headset but just hold 'return' or back switch on LH handle bar cluster and the at least Apple Car play works without a headset - though you may need to have a headset paired just once to use this undocumented feature . Getting a UK update for AT AS oem fog lights operation next week. Hope it means the switch works when it should and not erratically.
Still waiting to see if I receive a recall. Will let you know how the 3.10 update works once it’s done.

· Registered
ATAS ES DCT 2020 Tri Colour
23 Posts
spoke to my dealer today. He has my ABS modulator in stock, so all being well I can get this recall done and enjoy my bike.
OK thanks . My ABS unit must be a later one as not a recall for me. Had the BCU fog light update done ( partial success) . I did not take the Android update as it cannot be rolled back

· Registered
23 Posts
Checked the number on mine today 9K18, , rang the dealer today to give them a heads up, as its already booked in for yearly service and tank recall job on 18th May. Guy on desk says We have to check first then order the part in, that's daft, says I, I'll ring you again a bit nearer the date to confirm its going to be done at the same time!

· Registered
5 Posts
Picked up my bike a couple of months ago, and got the recall notice for the ABS modulator last week. Decided I'd deal with it after a trip this weekend up to the MotoGP in Silverstone. As is always the way with these things, the full problem manifested itself on my bike during the trip (highly ineffective front brake, with the lever now being able to be pulled all the way to the throttle grip, at which point it will actually turn the grip when it hits, which on a DCT bike is .... interesting, especially when you're trying to slow down).

Had to limp the bike home 70 miles on engine braking and rear brake alone. I actually didn't put two and two together until I got home - I phoned a mechanic friend who said the symptom sounded like the brakes overheating. When I got home I checked the recall and sure enough it's exactly what I was experiencing.

Nearest dealer to me is 40 miles away, they are ordering the part in and are talking to Honda to see if they will pay for the bike to be collected since there's no way I'm riding it again until this is fixed.

· Registered
7 Posts
The modulator is not under the Pillion on the 1100s.

They have to visually identify the S/N. Based on the modulator position I wager that the S/N isn't visible with the tank on.

View attachment 60417
You Sir, are absolutely correct.....The gas tank would have to be removed to access the ABS modulator. It's nearly or impossible to read the serial number on the modulator using a snake camera or a borescope tool. SHUMBA

21 - 40 of 40 Posts