Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the red/white/black manual version. I have 200 miles on it now. Dealer told me to baby the crap out of it for 200 miles, then ride it like you stole it. Is that really true? Couldn't see a true process in the manual for break in.

Tim

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought the red/white/black manual version. I have 200 miles on it now. Dealer told me to baby the crap out of it for 200 miles, then ride it like you stole it. Is that really true? Couldn't see a true process in the manual for break in.

Tim
everyone has a different opinion on this. I baby them just a little until that first oil change around 500-600 miles. Then i get down to business and bounce it off the rev limiter. None of that several-thousand mile babying BS. That's just ridiculous. The most important thing is to Not ride at one steady pace for an extended amount of time. You want to vary the rpm's throughout the first couple thousand miles. So, like don't get on the highway and cruise at 65-70 mph for an hour.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I saw a video of these brand new motorbikes being built and assembled. As soon as the engine is built they immediately test them on a treadmill cold start from 0 to 75mph for a good 10 minutes before wrapping them up
in crates and cling film and shipping them to dealers.

These engines are a LOT tougher than people would have you believe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts