Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I own a 2017 AT DCT. I bought it after watching too many videos of William Gloege traveling around the world. I'm only 5-6 so its a big bike for me. I got the lowered seat which helps. I'm totally fine on pavement, its off pavement that things can get interesting. Here in SoCal there's not a lot "green" easy off road trails to be had. I've ridden to Prewitt Ridge. Locally loved to do the Holy Jim trail before it closed after the fire. I've ridden up to Santiago Peak on my 250L, before I sold it. Not sure if I got the balls to try on the AT. Maybe with a buddy who can help me lift it :)

·
Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin Standard
69 Posts
Hi and welcome, Love the William Gloege videos, that guy is awesome. I just wrapped up a ride up and over Santiago Peak, over to old control road up to Idlewild and then over to Big Bear, 215 miles, Big Bear was a little tricky!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome, Love the William Gloege videos, that guy is awesome. I just wrapped up a ride up and over Santiago Peak, over to old control road up to Idlewild and then over to Big Bear, 215 miles, Big Bear was a little tricky!
Wow sounds like a sweet time. Did you go solo? I always wanted to go over the peak and over to the Blue Jay camp area. People say it can be done and Google maps seems to agree, but the gate was always closed.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin Standard
69 Posts
Yeah it was fun, first time doing that ride and I did it with three buddies on T7's. From the first outlook at the top of the fire road we dropped down the other side into the valley. I don't think you can go to Blue Jay camp ground yet due to fire damage still - I want to try that next. Been to the top of Saddleback a few times now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi and welcome! Always great to have a Buddy to help lift. You may be interested in buying a dirt napper to lift your bike when noone else is around. Ive been thinking about buying one myself. I cant always have a riding Buddy for as long as I like to ride around offroad around TN, NC,KY and Georgia. Im not a tiny dude and it takes a lot out of me after dropping two times in a row. (And yes I drop it a lot offroad).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi and welcome! Always great to have a Buddy to help lift. You may be interested in buying a dirt napper to lift your bike when noone else is around. Ive been thinking about buying one myself. I cant always have a riding Buddy for as long as I like to ride around offroad around TN, NC,KY and Georgia. Im not a tiny dude and it takes a lot out of me after dropping two times in a row. (And yes I drop it a lot offroad).
Looks cool. Let me know if you get it and if it works well for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts