Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s been a few instances of the screen mount breaking on some owners AT’s, usually caused by the fitment of a GPS unit and then Hondas refusal to authorise a warranty replacement. A few companies have developed a solution to this potential problem by designing a screen brace to support the oe mount. The ones I’ve seen are quite expensive, plus the extra expense of import taxes and shipping to me.

So I was happy to find another vendor offering what seems to me a simpler, more elegant and unobtrusive solution, and a whole lot cheaper to boot made by Vlad in Romania.

This brace simply uses two existing holes in the front subframe below the clocks and then utilises what would be the middle holes for the screen (yes, there’s actually six holes in the screen mount). Hope this makes sense when you look at the pictures.

What I really like about this brace is that you don’t really notice it....it looks virtually oe. It appears very well made with nice touches like the nut covers and the finish matching the rest of the bike. It doesn’t touch the clocks and stiffens up the screen mount significantly. The GPS will be a lot more stable than it used to be and no more worries of a broken screen mount.

If interested, you can contact Vlad through emai. [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Davy, that looks nice, I’m wondering if it will fit the 2018 bikes, with the new instrument cluster? I was looking at the Camel product, but Cory said he didn’t think their one would fit the 2018 bikes and they would have to make one, once they get the bikes in Canada.

So Vlad looks like an option for 2018 bikes.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Vlad - I have got the bracket and it seems very well made, but I am having great difficulty getting a nut behind the lower flange - even with curved forceps. There are two types of bolts the hex headed ones have two nuts on each one of which seems to have a plastic cap. The other two bolts are philips cross head but take a plastic covered nut. Which ones are used where? It looks from Davy's pictures above that the plastic caps can be removed from the nuts - That wasn't obvious but I will try tomorrow.
Thanks for the very prompt service and it definitely looks like I will be able to use it with the Madstad screen
Mike

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You feed the two hex bolts through the lower holes from the rear (actually the front of the unit) by using bent needle nose pliers. I pulled the rubbers off the LED lights to make access easier. Then tighten a nut on each bolt which acts as a spacer for you to then place the screen bracket onto. You then feed the second nuts onto the thread and tighten those up finishing off with the domed caps to cover the ends and make it pretty. The top screws are simple enough.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yes that worked Davy. And I can say that the brace stiffens up the Madstad screen brilliantly. I had to use different bolts with nylocs in the top holes and a couple of rubber washers as spacers, but if I can do it anyone can make it work.
Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
There’s been a few instances of the screen mount breaking on some owners AT’s, usually caused by the fitment of a GPS unit and then Hondas refusal to authorise a warranty replacement. A few companies have developed a solution to this potential problem by designing a screen brace to support the oe mount. The ones I’ve seen are quite expensive, plus the extra expense of import taxes and shipping to me.

So I was happy to find another vendor offering what seems to me a simpler, more elegant and unobtrusive solution, and a whole lot cheaper to boot made by Vlad in Romania.

This brace simply uses two existing holes in the front subframe below the clocks and then utilises what would be the middle holes for the screen (yes, there’s actually six holes in the screen mount). Hope this makes sense when you look at the pictures.

What I really like about this brace is that you don’t really notice it....it looks virtually oe. It appears very well made with nice touches like the nut covers and the finish matching the rest of the bike. It doesn’t touch the clocks and stiffens up the screen mount significantly. The GPS will be a lot more stable than it used to be and no more worries of a broken screen mount.

If interested, you can contact Vlad through emai. [email protected]

Where can you buy this and for how much?
Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Where can you buy this and for how much?
Thanks
Email to Vlad for price. [email protected]

I also got and installed mine. Otherwise it was a piece of cake, but I found it impossible to get the lower bolts on, between the lamp and frame. So I ended up replacing the "spacer nuts" for plastic spacers and installed the bolts opposite, from back to front. It was easy to fasten the flanged nuts temporarily to the wrench by tape and then hold the nuts behind the frame.

The finnish and fit of Vlad's bracket is perfect. Also the look is like original Honda parts, thank you very much, Vlad.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.....what a difference the bracket makes. The GPS is now steady, no more shaking and totally readable. Good job well done.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just got an email today from Vlad, he has offered up his brace to a 2018 ATAS and has confirmed it will fit the new bikes. He has back order, but hope to get mine early May. :grin2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ordered a brace from Vlad and it arrived last week. Fitted it this weekend, a quick 15 min job. Very easy if you pull back the rubber headlight cover (no need to fully remove), slip in the bolts with a set of bent pliers and the rest is simple. Not tested yet as I was adding bar risers, now that was a pain in the ass and took ages.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Update on Vlad’s brace for ATAS, received it Friday last week, very impressed in the quality and design. However this brace is designed for the 2016/17 bikes and Vlad had offered it up to a ATAS in a dealer, thought it would fit and sent it to me. However, as the new 2018 bike have the different instrument and dash surround, although it kind of fits, it’s touching the plastic surround, which will potentially cause ware marks on the plastic. I have been in touch with Vlad and he is going to adjust his design slightly, then resend a new version out to me. He has asked that he will either get me to return the brace to him at some stage, or if there is anybody in the UK that wants it (to fit 2016/17 AT), then I can forward it onto a prospective buyer.

I has been fitted to my bike, so where I have tightened the nuts down on the lower mount, you can see it’s been mounted. However, if you do want one of these, it’s still great and he has said I can send it to whoever maybe interested in it. It would be posted, Royal Mail special delivery next day, insured. Either that or it will go back to Romania. Same price as I paid, €49 + p & p, so you can deal direct with Vlad at: [email protected]

PM me if your interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If that’s the case I will have to order a new one from Vlad for a new 2018 standard Bike (if the dealer gives me the right deal). So my one fitted to the 3017 Bike will be available. Half price plus postage. But not for a month or so yet. Anyone with the Madstad screen really needs this as it stops all that screen rocking when the engine is lugging
Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
If that’s the case I will have to order a new one from Vlad for a new 2018 standard Bike (if the dealer gives me the right deal). So my one fitted to the 3017 Bike will be available. Half price plus postage. But not for a month or so yet. Anyone with the Madstad screen really needs this as it stops all that screen rocking when the engine is lugging
Mike
Is this available yet? I fitted a bigger screen yesterday.......so now a requirement!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts