Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The side stand on my 2021 ATAS gives the bike a rather significant lean compared to any other previous bike I've had. Frankly, I'm not thrilled with it.

I purchased a $17 extension plate from eBay and attached a vulcanized rubber sole to the base of it from some old gym flooring I had leftover. E6000 to glue the sole and create a little buffer between the stock side stand and the aluminum plate.

Not only does this new shoe fit great, it has plenty of clearance from the swingarm, provides a more modest lean angle, and engages the ground beneath it with the grace of an Air Jordan sneaker.

Pretty stoked with the modification given the sub-$20 cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does it interfere with the center stand?

With my Suzuki, the center stand and the kickstand harmed each other after installing a similar device.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I got my AT. I never had a bike lean on the stand so far. But after living with it for a while if you do any off road at all, or spend a lot of time on old crowned backroads, the side stand becomes frequently too long. 23,000 miles on my bike, riding it 50/50, my opinion is, I think honda got the length right. The bike frequently needs to be repositioned so I can get the stand down and the bike to lean enough not to fall over. It's easier to find a rock or something to put the stand on then it is to not be able to get off the bike because you can't get the stand deployed.

That said, upgrading the suspension put the bike up about an inch and a half taller so then the stand truly became too short. I switched to the camel toe stand, which is slightly longer. But yeah, if my bike lived and was ridden in more populated urban areas, I would have lengthened the stand long ago.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I got my AT. I never had a bike lean on the stand so far. But after living with it for a while if you do any off road at all, or spend a lot of time on old crowned backroads, the side stand becomes frequently too long. 23,000 miles on my bike, riding it 50/50, my opinion is, I think honda got the length right. The bike frequently needs to be repositioned so I can get the stand down and the bike to lean enough not to fall over. It's easier to find a rock or something to put the stand on then it is to not be able to get off the bike because you can't get the stand deployed.

That said, upgrading the suspension put the bike up about an inch and a half taller so then the stand truly became too short. I switched to the camel toe stand, which is slightly longer. But yeah, if my bike lived and was ridden in more populated urban areas, I would have lengthened the stand long ago.
Agreed on the appropriate length. I can always find a rock or stick when it feels too short, but any longer and I'm sure I'd have found a lot to complain about on uneven terrain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed on the appropriate length. I can always find a rock or stick when it feels too short, but any longer and I'm sure I'd have found a lot to complain about on uneven terrain.
Interesting take. I have relatively little off-road experience, so claiming no authority here. However, wouldn't it be easier to simply find a natural depression or low-spot for the side stand when dismounting on uneven terrain than to scramble around for a stick or rock to position under the small footprint of a side stand? It seems to me the odds of finding situations where the side stand is too short would outnumber those where it's too long solely based on the angle of the bike on completely flat terrain, i.e. quite obtuse.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Interesting take. I have relatively little off-road experience, so claiming no authority here. However, wouldn't it be easier to simply find a natural depression or low-spot for the side stand when dismounting on uneven terrain than to scramble around for a stick or rock to position under the small footprint of a side stand? It seems to me the odds of finding situations where the side stand is too short would outnumber those where it's too long solely based on the angle of the bike on completely flat terrain, i.e. quite obtuse.
I think its just a numbers game. In 22 years of off road riding I've parked bikes thousands of times. I also take a lot of photos when I ride, so I park quickly in shitty spots for the shot. Most times you find an appropriate spot and everything is great. Sometimes you don't and in those cases having my bike leaning too far into the stand is preferable to leaning too far the opposite way with literally nothing to keep it up. There are so many variables to when, why and how you end up parking off road. At least I can shim it as needed by moving to a rock or high point or putting something under it. That, and the only time I have ever had a bike go over on its own stand was because a bear pushed it over. Regardless of the dimensions of the bike and stand, its just never happened to me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That, and the only time I have ever had a bike go over on its own stand was because a bear pushed it over. Regardless of the dimensions of the bike and stand, its just never happened to me.
😳 Whoa! Okay, that kind of experience is hard to argue with! I'll keep the elevator shoe on for the time being and report back with some real mileage under my belt. It's easy enough to remove should that become the right decision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just noticed that even Honda, in their Honda Canada intro video for the ATAS/ES, decided the aesthetics of the bike needed a “lift” on the side stand. Having done my first bit of real off-road riding (and stopping to pre-walk some of the terrain ahead) I’m very happy with the decision to add this foot to the side stand. Perhaps the most practical addition I’ve made to date next to the center stand…
Honda Canada intro video for the ATAS/ES,

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the same extension it’s helped a lot , however I need to get a rubber type cushion similar to yours , I don’t have access to old gym flooring ? Still plenty of clearance on the swing arm I think I need 6 or 7 mill ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
The side stand on my 2021 ATAS gives the bike a rather significant lean compared to any other previous bike I've had. Frankly, I'm not thrilled with it.

I purchased a $17 extension plate from eBay and attached a vulcanized rubber sole to the base of it from some old gym flooring I had leftover. E6000 to glue the sole and create a little buffer between the stock side stand and the aluminum plate.

Not only does this new shoe fit great, it has plenty of clearance from the swingarm, provides a more modest lean angle, and engages the ground beneath it with the grace of an Air Jordan sneaker.

Pretty stoked with the modification given the sub-$20 cost.
View attachment 60664
View attachment 60665
View attachment 60666
View attachment 60667
Thought about a larger foot print being helpful on soft surfaces but not so much the lift. I'd be interested to see how the glued rubber fairs with shear load and differing surfaces etc, particularly mounting bike on the stand, if loaded up. E6000 glue, I'll have to google that one 👍

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought about a larger foot print being helpful on soft surfaces but not so much the lift. I'd be interested to see how the glued rubber fairs with shear load and differing surfaces etc, particularly mounting bike on the stand, if loaded up. E6000 glue, I'll have to google that one 👍
You nailed it. Shear forces are a bit too much for the rubber pad and are starting to chip away at it. Still, I’m satisfied with the results and will continue to experiment with various materials. PlastAid and hockey pucks are my latest obsession.🤓

1 - 20 of 24 Posts