Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Video coming out of EICMA shows what appear to be all metal top load Honda brand panniers with factory pannier racks? Anyone know anything about this? I would post link and screen shots, but my credentials won't allow it. (1st post)

If you search for this string on youtube you will see the video.... 7W8gtVulsHU

Skip to 4:00 min mark.... irritating video but shows what could possibly be quick disconnect pannier rack from Factory?

Maybe someone with proper credentials could reply with a proper link to the video?

·
Registered
104 Posts
They look very nice but unfortunately they use a rack system like all the aftermarket systems.

The best thing for me about current Honda boxes is how they fit. When there off the bike there's nothing to see. A nice clean look.

I will check them out in a couple of weeks at the NEC bike live.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that rack would "quick detach" would be nice for soft bags for adv ridding... then a easy switch to nothing or original hard panniers for commuting.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Did you see that weld line along the cutout for the right side pannier? That's got to be a prototype.

Except for the cutout, they look a lot like the Touratechs.

Depending on pricing and build (how robust is that rack? - doesn't look as sturdy as the Touratech rack) they look pretty nice.

Ps. That rack looks like it's designed to come off real easy. It slips over the rear foot rest support rail, so there is no bolt or screw there to deal with. It's hard to tell, but it looks like you could have the panniers and the rack off in minutes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve got the SW Motech racks on my 2017. The side racks are quickly detachable, leaving only the bar across the back fender and two tabs on the passenger footpeg brackets, as long as you do not install the off-Road modification, which is an extra bracket that engages the locking slot from underneath like the factory bags lock in.

Even without the off-road bracket the racks feel very secure to me, and I doubt they would go anywhere unless/until you drop the bike onto the side bag. But, I have a pair of Seahorse SE-720 (pelican clones) mounted to my racks and I’m spoiled by always having bags on there, so only intend to remove them for maintenance, I went ahead and installed the off-road brackets too.

The seahorse cases and SW racks are far more crashworthy rugged than the flimsy OEM bags, so maybe these new bags are better in that regard. The left side bag looks like it would hold a lot more than my small seahorse cases, but with the exhaust cutaway the right side bag isn’t much bigger if any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts