Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I considered a Tiger a couple of years back but they were going through cylinder heads at an alarming rate. I have always loved triples and this one is no different but reliability and repair costs (first service over a grand) kept me away.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I considered a Tiger a couple of years back but they were going through cylinder heads at an alarming rate. I have always loved triples and this one is no different but reliability and repair costs (first service over a grand) kept me away.
I've also heard they're quite top heavy especially with a full tank. On the road guys don't seem to find them too much of a handful but its negotiating boggy soft stuff or slow speed manoeuvring where it shows its teeth. This is just based on what I've read...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting timing, as I took a 2015 Triumph 800XC-X out for a good road oriented test ride on Saturday. Road being rough pavement and very twisty mountain back roads.

I immediately found I did not like the forward sport bike ergonomics. I did warm up to it a little more in the second hour, however, a good set of risers with 45 degree pull backs would be essential for me. The skinny grips are also a PITA for me, so grip puppies would be another must have.

The 800 triple is everything I was lead to believe. Lots of power, and torque when the RPMs are up. I stalled it a couple of times from a stop and it needs more revs then I was used to, however, the power and torque are there, just need to spin it up.

The menu interface just plain sucks. The KTM Advs bikes (1290 and 1190r) has a great user interface. The Triumph interface must have been designed by a committee of English bureaucrats! I am sure if you owned the bike you could adapt, but one wonder what someone was thinking.

The WP suspension is good for what I was able to test it on. Lots of broken pavement, no dirt. Out on the open highway, this bike just rocks, for what it is.

The large "up in your lap" gas tank does offer good wind protection AND makes the bike seem larger then that KTM Adv Bikes, and I can see how it would feel top heavy with a full load of fuel, next to a BMW GS800.

I though Triumph did many things well with the
800XC-X, and I would encourage anyone who is interested in the bike to take it out for a good long test ride. It's just not a bike for me.

I am looking forward to a AT ride, hopefully before the weather turns too crappy.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like that the triumph offers a nearly flat torque curve... The motor is fantastic, although I've only ridden it in an STR...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts