Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! New guy, checking in.

I'm picking up a very lightly used '18 AT (Matte Black) tomorrow morning with around 1,400 miles. Bone stock. I'm coming over from a 2014 V-Strom 1000 ABS. That bike was good to me, but I wanted something with a bit more tech, a bit better aftermarket, and a bit more off-road cred. I looked in to KTMs, BMWs, etc; the usual suspects. In the end, I couldn't get past the horror stories of maintenance issues. With that being said, I'm finding myself right back on a trusty Japanese bike, which is all that I've ever owned over my 10 years of riding.

I'm really looking forward to having a clean slate with which to build on. I have a lot planned:

-Full AltRider setup...basically everything that I can get my hands on
-Givi racks, bags, and boxes (most likely the trekker outback, or dolomiti line this time around)
-Pivot pegz
-Sound bomb
-Throttle lock
-Barkbusters
-Accessory lighting tied in to high beams
-Heated grips (I settled on the koso apollos)
-Mitas E-07 Dakars

I know that that's quite the list, and it will be progressive over the next year or two. I plan to immediately start off with crash protection, then bags, then go from there. I want to experience the bike in stock form (aside from the protection) so that I can appreciate the enhancements as I go. I plan on keeping this bike for a loooooong time, so long as it is mechanically trouble-free, as I expect it to be, being a Honda.

Any advice as far as other modifications/upgrades/problems or issues to look in to?

Thanks for having me! Looking forward to learning, and eventually teaching, with you all!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Hi and welcome

I’d say a fuse block of some kind too. Especially if you’re doing extra electronics, lights, GPS, etc.

Reactions: TheHops

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
281 Posts
Congrats TheHops! I've had mine for two years now and still enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome

I’d say a fuse block of some kind too. Especially if you’re doing extra electronics, lights, GPS, etc.
That's a good call. I have an extra switched 50a fuse and a blue sea fuse block laying around from an old power inverter setup I used to run in my truck, so I may look in to using those for my lights and grips to start with.

Congrats TheHops! I've had mine for two years now and still enjoy the ride.
Awesome! I did a fair bit of research prior to committing to this. I'm looking forward to the adventure for many years to come.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts