Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's hard to tell whether the tri-color bike has DCT or not, but on one overhead profile view (I freeze framed) it looked a clutch lever between the hand guard and the rider's hand. The red one definitely has a conventional transmission/clutch and I expect they would have said something if one were DCT equipped.

Strange that Honda wouldn't use a DCT model in the promotional video. The question of whether the DCT is useful off road is a big one they could have shed some light on (if not answered). Or maybe, by not not using one, they did answer the question.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's hard to tell whether the tri-color bike has DCT or not, but on one overhead profile view (I freeze framed) it looked a clutch lever between the hand guard and the rider's hand. The red one definitely has a conventional transmission/clutch and I expect they would have said something if one were DCT equipped.

Strange that Honda wouldn't use a DCT model in the promotional video. The question of whether the DCT is useful off road is a big one they could have shed some light on (if not answered). Or maybe, by not not using one, they did answer the question.
There are also nuances in demographics to consider. The old advertising adage "if you're seeing it, its for you" Perhaps italy has a higher concentration of purists? Not sure, Honda Italy would know the specific DCT take rates (should this actually be the case)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or considering both these guys are already team Honda and aren't the target audience for the DCT, they may have just given them the tools they are used to for comparison. I'm very much interested in hearing from someone not affiliated with Honda about the DCT in the dirt but it's not going to push me one way or another.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Or considering both these guys are already team Honda and aren't the target audience for the DCT, they may have just given them the tools they are used to for comparison. I'm very much interested in hearing from someone not affiliated with Honda about the DCT in the dirt but it's not going to push me one way or another.
been trying to see if they ran a Dakar or Baja bike with DCT in the past... but can't seem to find anything conrete... although it is offered on an ATV or two...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Smart move by them getting Marquez in on the pitch. Not only is he a legit dirt rider (anyone seen him flat track BTW;)) but he has huge appeal to road riders...especially younger ones.

I think Honda knows the success of the AT lay not in conquesting BMW and KTM sales, but from interesting a whole new demo of ADV riders... "Marquez thinks its cool to not just ride crotch rockets!"

ahaha just a thought...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't really care much about their Honda comments but what I did pay attention to was their ride description.
The AT was stable on jumps and the turn handling was great. Will definitely change out the seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's amazing to see Marc Marquez jump the Africa Twin like a lighter dirt bike. Let's hope Honda comes out was a few more action videos with the AT going over a variety of terrain, sand, water, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts