Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
call from dealer today to ask me to wait for 4 weeks for claim for new wheels because of rusty spokes. this is to give Honda Europe a chance to come up with a proper fix rather than risk a new set of wheels with same problem. I'm waiting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
call from dealer today to ask me to wait for 4 weeks for claim for new wheels because of rusty spokes. this is to give Honda Europe a chance to come up with a proper fix rather than risk a new set of wheels with same problem. I'm waiting.
Tinpot, I'd like to believe that Honda will actually come up with a fix but somehow this echos the BMW GS problems which were never actually fixed since 2013 with the same noises from BMW. Sorry to be glum about this but I'll eat my crash helmet if it gets fixed (well not actually but you know what I mean). If and it's a big IF they do fix it maybe my DCT Tricolour will include it before I get it, which has an unknown delivery right now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just wondering -does the spoked Crosstourer have corrosion problems ?
Mike
just traded my x tourer in after 2 years of faultless ownership no rust on the spokes at all

got my AFI 21 days ago its Been in the workshop for the last 7 days with a cold start sensor failure , still awaiting part after 7 days , great bike but Honda service is not acceptable , looks like the poor old afi has a few issues with faulty grips , rusting spokes , sensor failures , DCT false neutrals , Wonder where the actual bikes we buy have been made as none of these issues have cropped up during the hundred thousand odd miles of development did they ??

hope its not going to be a lemon as its a brilliant bike to ride and loads of fun

·
Registered
158 Posts
Whilst at the dealer's today, salesman took a look at my wheels, he agreed that they should not be so poor looking, bike has done 500 miles. So next week when its in for its 600 mile service images will be taken and sent to Honda. Apart from this single issue the bike is a joy to own and ride.

Mike

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tinpot, I'd like to believe that Honda will actually come up with a fix but somehow this echos the BMW GS problems which were never actually fixed since 2013 with the same noises from BMW. Sorry to be glum about this but I'll eat my crash helmet if it gets fixed (well not actually but you know what I mean). If and it's a big IF they do fix it maybe my DCT Tricolour will include it before I get it, which has an unknown delivery right now.

The big difference is, this problem only affects a limited number of ATs. Mine is fine as are many others.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine also has rusty spokes. About 4000km and 2 months old.
Last 4 digits are 4401 so I guess that is number 4401.
I also complained. Wondered what Honda Europe will do to fix the problem.

Regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out Steve Hopkins' report on the facebook page for the CRF1000 Africa Twin Group dated 12 April.
Seems like good news re spokes and heated grips etc.?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My AF is having a replacement rear wheel, under warranty, due to corroded spokes after one 150 mile on salted roads here in the UK. I got back late and so I didn't get washing the bike until the following morning whilst washing the bike (160 miles total) I notice the corrosion on the spokes. My dealer criticised me for not,
a. washing bike immediately
b. spraying the bike with ACF50 before riding
I suggested that it was a manufacturing fault because the front wheel is OK.

The bike has now done 630 miles and 'SET' button on the left hand switch gear has failed and the coating on both bar end weights is rubbing off.

Funny, I still smile when I look at and ride the AF. Long may it continual!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My AF is having a replacement rear wheel, under warranty, due to corroded spokes after one 150 mile on salted roads here in the UK. I got back late and so I didn't get washing the bike until the following morning whilst washing the bike (160 miles total) I notice the corrosion on the spokes. My dealer criticised me for not,

The bike has now done 630 miles and 'SET' button on the left hand switch gear has failed and the coating on both bar end weights is rubbing off.

It is odd isn't it? Almost as if they have had the front and back wheels assembled in different factories. I have checked 3 AT's while out and about in north east England this weekend and all had corroded rear spokes and perfect front spokes.
Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts

I have some experience with KTMs and rusty spokes, therefore before I took delivery I gave the dealer a can of ACF50 and asked him to do the honours. The bike was delivered by van and I put another coating on. At 400 miles both back and front spokes are rusted. Each time the bike has been out it has been power washed and blown dry with a 2 stroke leaf blower and then wiped, almost ott attention.
For a dealer to criticise a wash next day he must have something to be afraid of.
My bike goes in on Thu for its 600 mile, the dealer has already seen the spokes and will send images to Honda UK. From past experience the only satisfactory solution is ss, both nipples and spokes. I wonder how much more it would cost to do this and avert all the agro that's popping up now ? I suppose if KTM can't get it right then I should not expect any other manufacturer to get it right.
Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts

dealer name please so I can avoid a nugget like that ??? AC50 a brand new off road bike

·
Registered
112 Posts
BarryT

"The bike has now done 630 miles and 'SET' button on the left hand switch gear has failed"

can you be more specific , how has it failed , fell apart , jammed , wont make contact , broken off ?????????????????

cheers

Geddy Boy

1 - 20 of 53 Posts