Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

new wheels

28K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  KX500AF 
#1 ·
call from dealer today to ask me to wait for 4 weeks for claim for new wheels because of rusty spokes. this is to give Honda Europe a chance to come up with a proper fix rather than risk a new set of wheels with same problem. I'm waiting.

#3 ·
Tinpot, I'd like to believe that Honda will actually come up with a fix but somehow this echos the BMW GS problems which were never actually fixed since 2013 with the same noises from BMW. Sorry to be glum about this but I'll eat my crash helmet if it gets fixed (well not actually but you know what I mean). If and it's a big IF they do fix it maybe my DCT Tricolour will include it before I get it, which has an unknown delivery right now.

#6 ·
just traded my x tourer in after 2 years of faultless ownership no rust on the spokes at all

got my AFI 21 days ago its Been in the workshop for the last 7 days with a cold start sensor failure , still awaiting part after 7 days , great bike but Honda service is not acceptable , looks like the poor old afi has a few issues with faulty grips , rusting spokes , sensor failures , DCT false neutrals , Wonder where the actual bikes we buy have been made as none of these issues have cropped up during the hundred thousand odd miles of development did they ??

hope its not going to be a lemon as its a brilliant bike to ride and loads of fun

#7 ·
Whilst at the dealer's today, salesman took a look at my wheels, he agreed that they should not be so poor looking, bike has done 500 miles. So next week when its in for its 600 mile service images will be taken and sent to Honda. Apart from this single issue the bike is a joy to own and ride.

Mike

#16 ·
My AF is having a replacement rear wheel, under warranty, due to corroded spokes after one 150 mile on salted roads here in the UK. I got back late and so I didn't get washing the bike until the following morning whilst washing the bike (160 miles total) I notice the corrosion on the spokes. My dealer criticised me for not,
a. washing bike immediately
b. spraying the bike with ACF50 before riding
I suggested that it was a manufacturing fault because the front wheel is OK.

The bike has now done 630 miles and 'SET' button on the left hand switch gear has failed and the coating on both bar end weights is rubbing off.

Funny, I still smile when I look at and ride the AF. Long may it continual!

#21 ·
Mine turned black after the first ride home , about 20 miles and i have washed the bike after each ride , so they are bad quality no excuses , rear wheel looks bad the front little bit better but still not what you would expect on a brand new bike after few rides . ACF50 does feck all .

#25 ·
My left hand switch 'set' button locked solid after a few days. Would not depress at all so was useless.
Tried WD40 to no avail.
Went to dealers and mechanic sprayed more lubrication in and hey presto it moved and to be fair it's been fine ever since, 9 weeks and 1600 miles.

#31 ·
It does sound a strange (and unlikely) solution. But it may be linked to the earthquake problems. If they are having spoke corrosion problems only in countries that put salt on the roads, and they can source stainless spokes in those countries it could be a quicker solution than getting whole new wheels assembled in Japan (I think someone said the wheels rims are welded from 4 separate parts then anodised).
Mike

#34 ·
My bike is babied its washed blow dried with the most powerfull electric leaf blower you can buy its been treated with ACF from new, there was no sign of corroded spokes at all
went to wales 2 weeks ago for a 3 day jaunt on the way home it lashed down with rain for most of the 200 mile ride, got home washed and polished the bike all was good came out to the heated garage 2 days later and the rear spokes are seriously corroded, and the Set button got stuck in after the first 40 miles of Rain, Both issues were reported to my dealer and ive got to take the bike over there for them to see it (emailed Pictures wont do!!)

Ill not be happy with a dealer mechanic lacing new spokes into my wheels to be honest some are capable but most are not, its correct that SS spokes would need to be thicker so rims would have to be drilled out to match leaving bare alloy to corrode once the warranty is out !!
Set button is a common well documented problem that they are just replacing with the same unit !!

Apart from that I love the bike 0:)

#37 ·
10,000 km on mine, ridden in rain often on my daily commute and always parked wet. Zero corrosion on spokes. Maybe you have acidic rain in Europe or something corrosion-causing on your roads as all the corrosion cases seem to show up there, mainly UK.

Stainless steel spokes break easier, that's why they need to be thicker to than mild steel to provide the same strength.

#35 ·
Hi Adventure Boy,

As you know corroded spokes have been a topic for discussion on here from the inception of the bike.
My bike was showing the signs in less than 600 miles, and like you I had used liberal quantities of ACF50, the Dealer had also sprayed a layer on.
My bike has not been out in the salt, up here in the N W of Scotland salt is used extensively. I too pointed it out to my dealer, his reply was to wait a bit to see how the corrosion develops. I'll be going see him soon.
As to SS being thicker, yes they tend to be, I think it has something to do with SS work hardening quicker the Mild Steel. I have had SS on my 640 Adv for oh let me see since 2008 and I've carried spare spokes on all my overland & piste trips...but never needed them. My KTM wheels were respoked with SS nipples by Central Wheel under KTM warranty, after a bit of protest from me KTM offered me the cash equivalent of replacement MS spokes & nipples.
I would not have thought that the rims or the hubs will have to drilled to accept the SS, I could be wrong. Anyhow I'm keen to get the bike back up to as new again and from experience SS spokes would appear to be the answer.

M

#39 ·
If you are being serious then you should perhaps stick to your R22. If the NC updates are anything to go by, Honda have been brilliant at making tons of hidden little improvements in each model update - but addressing corrosion issues is not one of them. But it's not a huge problem to solve. Acf50 dabbed on suspect brackets and connectors. Powder coated my centre stand - will do the same on the sidestand. If I keep the bike long enough I will powder coat the swingarm. You can do a lot of work with the £3000 you save on a BMW (which itself has plenty of corrosion problems).
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.