Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:surprise:russdmc :grin2: Colwyn Bay
Can anyone recommend a chain oil I should use for my 2017 Africa Twin and should I get a scott oiler ? What about cleaning the chain ? Mineralised meths was suggested ? What about dry lube like wurth etc.
How do I get rid of rust on the chain and discs (had to go away for a week & forgot to rinse her off-unforgiveable).:frown2:
Any suggestions welcomed (I`m as green as....).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the forum Russ!

Any chain lube is fine. Dupont Teflon chain saver. belray. whale blubber. a stick of butter. bacon grease. whatever really. People really over-think this stuff! It just has to keep your O-rings greased, and prevent pitting on the links. A bit of surface rust on the outside plates won't hurt your chain. To get rust off the rotors, ride your bike, and use the brakes at some point while you're doing it. You don't need an aftermarket oiler. Just put some chain lube on it every now and then. Clean your chain with some penetrating oil and a tooth brush. take it off and soak it in diesel. Buy a chain cleaning tool. Or just ride your bike and don't worry about it too much. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
A chain oiler is just a big marketing device for o-ring chains. You could literally do nothing and an o-ring chain would last over 30,000km on the street. Half of the chain lube products out there don't even do anything as far as I can tell. I still use a few machines with NON-oring chains and tested a few lubes. The worst one was dupont teflon chain saver, that one is definitely designed for o-ring chained street bikes which would last forever with no lube anyway. 10 hours tops on my mx bikes and the chain was done, plus I couldn't even wash the bike without the chain rusting with that lube. The best one that I've found for non-oring chains is motul C3 off-road chain lube. Which in my mind makes it just as suitable for o-ring chains, and so I've been using that one exclusively for about 3 years now. But really on an o-ring chain as mwmanuel stated you could use pretty much anything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Clean it with Kerosene. It will keep the rubber "O" rings from drying out. You can get some odorless stuff from any camping supply store or just use the regular stuff. I put it in a sprayer bottle from garden center. I use chain wax but really any chain lube will do. The chain is sealed so the grease inside does the actual lubing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts