Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

I have been lurking around the forum as a interested observer and I test rode an Africa Twin last Saturday.

Decided that I was having one after a 30 minute test ride and agreed a decent price for my Multistrada 1200 from the dealer. I ticked a few of the options boxes and it will come with heated grips, centre stand and a data-tool alarm when I scoop it up from the dealership.

I decided on the manual Tricolore model (as it kind of reminded my of my MTX125 that i cut my teeth on when I started riding in the 80's) and it should hopefully be here in 4/5 weeks. I have always modified my bikes so I have been on the phone to Rocky Roads?? and had a good chat with them.

Plans for the bike are a full race Termi System along with the sump guard that they are designing for it.

I was a trifle concerned about the sump guard fitting over the Termi headers as they will be a larger diameter than standard but they are going to alter the design if this is the case.

Then off to get an ECU reflash in leeds and then wait for a tail tidy to be released for it.

I am currently selling my company after setting it up 10 years ago so I am also planning on taking a year off work to do what i **** well please! so it will be used as my main mode of transport and I plan on travelling all over Europe in particular Italy and possibly North Africa and Russia on it.

All the best

Simon

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cool Simon !!I wish I could sell mine !! I could not help notice the YPVS , you have an old RD? loads of fun .. for short trips. hehe .
also very keen on a pipe for the AT and feel a remap will be needed to exploit the pipes full advantage , keep the posts coming WRT that please ! Stock bikes generally are set too lean from the factory.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Glad to have someone on here that will be put the AT through some serious paces, can't wait to see what you'll do to it over time and what feedback you'll share from riding all those miles.

What industry were you in with the company sold?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool Simon !!I wish I could sell mine !! I could not help notice the YPVS , you have an old RD? loads of fun .. for short trips. hehe .
also very keen on a pipe for the AT and feel a remap will be needed to exploit the pipes full advantage , keep the posts coming WRT that please ! Stock bikes generally are set too lean from the factory.
Yup,

I am a fan of 2 strokes and I have a couple of 350 power valves. One is virtually standard apart from a set of Allspeeds and an uprated braking system from an R6.

The other is far from standard and I have been building that one for the past couple of years. Its a Hybrid of a Ducati 900 front end with ZRX1200 discs and a KR1s front wheel and a complete KR1s back end and swing arm.

We have made the pipes and completley rebuilt and tuned the engine the engine and used PWK28 carbs on it so it can get enough fuel. Its is going to be a bit of fun when it is finished.

I also have a CRM250ar with the Active Radical 2 stroke engine in it. I have converted it to a super moto spec with XR400 wheels. Its a bit like a 40hp mountain bike and is much fun to mess about on when ragging it around the back roads

Regarding the company.

I have built up a company that supports young people between 14 - 24 years of age mostly with mental health problems, stuck in the cycle of unemployment and we mainly support people back into work. We also are a provider of Information, Advice and Guidance for the people who are unemployed and seem to have been 'parked' on benefits. They just need a bit of extra support and a bit of guidance and encouragement/pressure in equal amounts

The local housing association is buying it off me as they need a company that can offer the services we offer and also use the profit to help them build extra property in the area.

All the best

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds great , please send some pics , I have recently done a similar project to you , with an LC motor , VJ21 front and swing arm . Ohlins shock , and hand made Aluninium seat and tank with KTM motard wire wheels .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
http://s35.photobucket.com/user/simonfoster/media/Spip11.jpg.html?sort=3&o=34

My Hybrid.

I have had the suspension revalved by Kais and Nitron kindly knocked up a bespoke shock for it. Pipes are a handmade 1 off set which were hydroformed and are designed to give mid range increase, ports tickled, squish sorted.

The engine is virtually brand new apart from the cases and the gearbox

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just received the call from Wigan Honda.

It's ready to pick up on Tuesday so I have ordered the full Termi System and a bash plate from rugged roads.

The Multistrada went to a new home last weekend so there is room in the garage for th new arrival.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have decided against having the ECU reflashed as after talking with Frank Wrathall I am now dropping the bike off at FW Develpoments (Dynojet UK) and they are going to design a power commander to fit the Africa Twin around my bike.

I will update with Dyno Graphs when it is finished

1 - 11 of 11 Posts