Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow AT-Rider,

as mentioned in the title, iam fairly new to riding bikes and just picked up my new AT AS. I got my license 10 years now but never had the money to make my dream come to. So far i really like the bike but i have a serious problem that makes me mad somehow.

When i picked up the bike from the dealer i noticed heavy high-frequency buffeting around my visor which kept me from looking straight from 100 km/h onwards. This forum was a great help as a quiet reader and i ordered a fork-shield. The Shield is awesome and the buffeting almost fully gone. I was really happy with it. At the very first weeks we didnt have any wind around and the weather was perfect....

Weather is still good but some slight wind picked up and changed everything for me. The wind is hitting my upper chest and shoulder as if a gust of wind hits you once left and then on the right side. The force of the wind then moves my arms which makes riding for me kind of unsafe because i start to notice a movement of my steering-bar (due to the movement of the arms forced by the wind). Last week i rode the bike home from work on the highway and a in a slight curve with around 120km/h a gust hit me so hard that i had the feeling i am going to fall of the bike any second. It was a big shock to me since i have never experienced something like that.

I went to my dealer and told him about the story and asked him to check my bike if everything (fork, suspension etc) is fine. The bike has no mechanical problems. He then said he will order the winddeflectors for me and i should try them out. Also today i ordered the Puig Touring shield with the higher mount. I am 1.91m and have a pretty tall upper body which makes me sensitive to incoming air.

Maybe you guys have another idea what to try. I am really looking forward to read your posts.

Thank you and ride save!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the ATAS world!
I had great success in solving the buffeting issue with a Madstad bracket, and their 20" windscreen. You can adjust the angle of it as well as the heigth. I can't tell from your post where you are, I am assuming in the UK or someplace in Europe, due to context. Maybe Madstad is not available over there for all I know!

Others have found other solutions, and I am sure you will hear other ideas on here. I am 6' 2" with a 32 inch inseam. I don't know how tall 1.91 m is, but you might even need a taller one. The Madstad folks are very good at knowing which screen you need based on your dimensions.
I don't know about the gusts of wind affecting stability. Are you relaxing your hands on the grips, and not having a "death grip" on them? I have gusts of wind hit me from time to time, but the little moving about in the lane has not been a problem........
Maybe others will have more info for you.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
I fitted the batzan screen bracket and when the stock screen is at the top I get no wind on the helmet but you do get it on your chest and upper arms as it comes round the screen. This is just the same as riding a naked bike so no issue at all, just relax your grip and the bike will be stable, generally what screws up the handling is the rider (I have a lot of experience of this !).

Try the best bits of training I ever had, find a deserted car park and ride in a straight line then take your hands off the bars, bike will go straight if you look ahead and sit still, even got to ride over fence posts laying on the ground and the bike just goes straight. Different training on another bike with the tickover set high so needed no throttle needed in first, we did figure of eights with our hands on the tank, interesting and unnerving experience but valuable in learning how much a riders weight and position influence the bike.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm with Texasten on this one. I'm in the UK and got a madstad screen ok - can't remember whether it came from the Staes or not.
However - what most of us are trying to solve is a general buffeting which is irritating but not dangerous, and I experienced what the OP has described once when test riding a Triumph Thruxton. At 65 to 70mph a rhythmic thumping turbulent airflow was set up. First it hit me from the left then the right and it was about every half second or so, It was VERY disconcerting. I have never had it happen on my Africa Twin (or any bike other than the Thruxton), but it must be some quirk of the screen. Fitting a different one should solve it.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At first let me thank you for your replies. I am from Germany btw. ;). I calculated my hight in feet and it gives me 6,2664042 feet.

I think the biggest problem of mine is that i am unexperienced and need more Training! The madstad Screen Looks really promising. So far i already ordered the high Puig shield and the delfectors and will them try out first. Greetings

·
Registered
35 Posts
Batzan windshield adjuster is fantastic you can also buy a cover for the gap between the tank and the front of the bike .That should cover all you're problems

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am six foot five sand ride the ATAS with panniers fitted. I can tell you that in cross wind gusts this bike feels like a giant hand is pushing you sideways. Its a tall bike and must have a large surface area from the side. Screens, wind deflectors etc wont do much if anything to counter the affect of cross winds. As others have said once you learn to live with the sudden push from the side its not that bad.

Some days my ride feels brilliant and other days its hard work and I am sure its down to the wind. Dead calm days are great - then the flies come out and splat you! oh joy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
BigKev is absolutely correct. Cross winds are always a challenge a tall bike with fairings. Larger screens, wind deflectors, etc. only help keep wind off you coming from the front. If anything, they may make what you are describing worse, as they can catch more air, like a sail. Try increasing the rear preload to get a little more weight on the front. And maybe stiffen up the front compression and rebound settings. At speed, all that wind that you catch is pushing you (the top of the bike) back, tilting it back, thus lowering the rear and lightening and raising the front. That can make the bike less stable. Increasing rear preload will counteract this.

Also, don't fight the movement of the bars so much. The bike will want to self-correct and won't be able to if you've got a death grip on the bars. Relaxed grip and gentle counter pressure on the bars to steer.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hello fellow AT-Rider,

as mentioned in the title, iam fairly new to riding bikes and just picked up my new AT AS. I got my license 10 years now but never had the money to make my dream come to. So far i really like the bike but i have a serious problem that makes me mad somehow.

When i picked up the bike from the dealer i noticed heavy high-frequency buffeting around my visor which kept me from looking straight from 100 km/h onwards. This forum was a great help as a quiet reader and i ordered a fork-shield. The Shield is awesome and the buffeting almost fully gone. I was really happy with it. At the very first weeks we didnt have any wind around and the weather was perfect....

Weather is still good but some slight wind picked up and changed everything for me. The wind is hitting my upper chest and shoulder as if a gust of wind hits you once left and then on the right side. The force of the wind then moves my arms which makes riding for me kind of unsafe because i start to notice a movement of my steering-bar (due to the movement of the arms forced by the wind). Last week i rode the bike home from work on the highway and a in a slight curve with around 120km/h a gust hit me so hard that i had the feeling i am going to fall of the bike any second. It was a big shock to me since i have never experienced something like that.

I went to my dealer and told him about the story and asked him to check my bike if everything (fork, suspension etc) is fine. The bike has no mechanical problems. He then said he will order the winddeflectors for me and i should try them out. Also today i ordered the Puig Touring shield with the higher mount. I am 1.91m and have a pretty tall upper body which makes me sensitive to incoming air.

Maybe you guys have another idea what to try. I am really looking forward to read your posts.

Thank you and ride save!
Some things to try, you already have the forkshield thats a good start the next would be to go for a MRA Vario screen it is much wider than a stock screen, at the bottom. It keeps a lot more air flow off your shoulders. You can also change the handguards I went for BarkBuster Storm but I also found that moving the mirrors back with the mounts puts the mirror behind the hand grip in the air stream and made it more stable.See photo
You will still get hit with sudden gusts of wind but it did change the bike a lot.
I am 1.9m tall I dont have the Adventure Sport but all of those parts fit. I have the bars on the forward position on the stock bar mounts (rotated 180 deg forward)and I have packed out the screen so it sits more upright 2mm bottom spaces 6mm mid spaces and 12mm at top screen mount.
I find with that configuration its a very quiet office to work in and there is vertually zero wind buffeting.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
My measurements indicate that the MRA vario screen will fit but it will foul the handguards. This is only a problem with the ATAS as it has different bar position/size compared to AS.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm 6'3'' with a 33 inseam and I have the 2018 ATAS. I too noticed that peculiar very high-pitched "buzzing" when first riding my bike with the original screen. I wear glasses and at speeds over 60-Mph (95 Kmh), say, my glasses would vibrate at a really fast frequency, giving me an odd view of the road/ world in front of me--like looking through some funky carnival glasses or something. (I am wearing a open-face helmet).

And I got some nasty buffeting too.

It all went away when I crouched my head down just an inch or so.

So I ordered and installed the GIVI D1144ST - it's about 2 inches higher and about 1 in. wider than the stock ATAS screen. (And it looks great as well).

It made a night and day difference. I can ride at speed with my open-face helmet and enjoy it now. I've since installed the Fork-shields too and they help as well but the screen made the biggest difference for me, with my height.

But you are also describing something else and it appears you answered your own question. The crosswind issue can be a bit disconcerting with such a tall, top-heavy bike. And experience will help you with that. Any gusting winds can be a bit unsettling, but as someone has already mentioned, try to stay relaxed but alert and you'll get used to it soon and learn how to deal with it. Keep it slow and safe until you do.

BTW - 6.266 ft is actually 75 inches or 6'3'' tall -- same as me.

Try a taller windscreen and as you say over there, "alles in Ordnung."

Have fun; it's a *great* bike.

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
You don't need a larger windscreen

You do not need a taller windscreen. The air causing the buffeting is coming from the gap between the forks and the gas tank. I bought a part that covers this and the issue went away completely. Here is the info. Search for swegotech

Sorry I apparently can't post urls or images because I am untrustworthy according to this forums AI.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You do not need a taller windscreen. The air causing the buffeting is coming from the gap between the forks and the gas tank. I bought a part that covers this and the issue went away completely. Here is the info. Search for swegotech

Sorry I apparently can't post urls or images because I am untrustworthy according to this forums AI.

This is true! I switched from a visor helmet to a road helmet to solve the problem, and it did solve the problem. The bell DLX Qualifier has been a great helmet. It’s a different look than I wanted at first but it works. It’s just as light as the helmet I had before. I flip the visor all the way up and wear glasses when I go off road. And I go on rugged off road trails a bunch.
I can’t block the vent from the fork hole b cause I live in a hot state and I need the air flow to stay cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
The twin is a tall bike and will give all sorts of issues for taller riders. The fact that you are a new rider leaves me to believe you will tense when the ride becomes uncomfortable. Try to change your position on the bike, sliding weight forward or back from your normal position. weight the pegs more and hug the tank with your knees. These methods will ground the bike over the center mass and change your center of gravity from the seat to the pegs. once your lower body is planted, loosen you grip on the bars and feel them move under you. As long as your gaze is on the horizon in front of you, the bike will remain upright regardless of buffeting or cross winds. This theory can be better understood by standing up on the bike while moving. you become an even larger sail but all of your weight is transferred to the pegs giving you a lower center of gravity through the transfer of weight. With practice, you should be able to steer your bike with only your lower body and hands off the bars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts