Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a member here for a few years , but have been happily plodding along with a 2001 AT 750 until yesterday when the right bike came along

2017 DCT 5000 kilometres already equipped with centre stand, side stand foot enlarger, crash bars top and bottom, sturdier bash plate, rear pannier racks, luggage tray, radiator guards, power point and bark busters. All I am going to add is a Kaoko throttle stabiliser, will then be good to go.

Bought it from a friend who was lucky enough to be 1 of 20 sponsored Honda South Africa adventure riders to do a trip in neighboring Namibia of roughly 2000 kilometres. At the end of the trip all participants were given the opportunity to buy their dedicated bikes, which my friend did.

When this bike came up for sale a week or so ago I grabbed it.

What a difference to the old bike, simply love it. Never knew a 63 year old can still get this excited about a bike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,693 Posts
Congrats!!

Fine looking scooter you got there, like the graphics...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had this bike now for 3 months and done about 2000 kilos or so. Done some local rides, fair bit of tar and some gravel travel, trip to Swaziland and back, simply love this murmur free piece of engineering.

Such a smile on your face kind of a bike .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Been riding my 2017 DCT for about a year and 2500 miles. Put on new racks to mount my old beat up Happy Trails aluminum panniers - great plan because I don't care if they get beat up, and a bunch of other upgrades. LOVE the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thinking of upgrading

Hi all, I have a 2017 cb500x and was thinking about trading it for a 2017 africa twin dct, I am in my 60s and wondering about the weight increase, any opinions appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,693 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2017 cb500x and was thinking about trading it for a 2017 africa twin dct, I am in my 60s and wondering about the weight increase, any opinions appreciated
The weight increase is not noticeable on roads or trails . In fact it is one of the best balanced bikes I’ve ridden.. Now the “but” part...
Tip it to far and the weight is totally unforgiving it will kiss the ground.. but upright it’s a dream to ride..

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The weight increase is not noticeable on roads or trails . In fact it is one of the best balanced bikes I’ve ridden.. Now the “but” part...
Tip it to far and the weight is totally unforgiving it will kiss the ground.. but upright it’s a dream to ride..
Would a mostly empty gas tank help? :|

Litre+ inline-4 bikes are notoriously top heavy at stop-n-lean, tank full or not.

·
Super Moderator
1,693 Posts
Would a mostly empty gas tank help? /forum/images/AfricaTwinForum/smilies/tango_face_plain.png

Litre+ inline-4 bikes are notoriously top heavy at stop-n-lean, tank full or not.
Not much, but it does help with wheelie’s in 3rd gear. Gotta love the DCT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts