Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is the first forum I have ever posted on. I ride a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports. Only has about 12,000kms on it, bought it new. I put normal upgrades like tires, Givi Panniers, seat etc. Absolutely love the bike BUT-

Somewhere along the line, I noticed at about between 50-70kms per hour, If I let go of the bars, I get a bad head shake.... not enough to throw me off the bike or anything, but it’s like an aggressive wobble (it’s oscillating). Of course I don’t plan on riding with no hands, but it was a big purchase for me, and it bugs me sooo much.

I recently had new tires put on, but it was done at a shop and they claim to have balanced them. Midas E09 on the front, and Hiedenau K60s rear.

I have also adjusted the rear sag knob into every position possible. Issue still occurs.

I weigh about 210lbs. Problem happens with panniers or no panniers (but the bike handles over all better with sag cranked all the way up fully loaded of course).

My question is- is this normal for these bikes (two mechanics told me that) ?

Any advice would be much, MUCH appreciated.

Bryson

·
Super Moderator
2,140 Posts
Hi and welcome

Mine has/had it, when the bike was new it had it when slowing down at around 35-40 mph Only when my hands were off the bars, got about 5500 miles on the bike now and it doesn’t do it. So I’m kinda leaning towards something with the front tire itself, but it‘s just a guess..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post AT-Dragon. Tires always come up in these discussions. It could have something to do with the aggressive tire design itself. I would be curious to hear if anyone with stock tires still has this issue (I got my Shinko 808’s put on when the bike was new so never rode the stock tires).
However, I am almost over 12,000 Km’s and nothing has settled down yet. The problem still occurs...

·
Registered
379 Posts
The very same issue had the Varadero and I guess almost all bikes with big suspension travel.... The solution is simple: we keep our hands on the handlebars at all times as we are anyway supposed to. I had seen numerous such discussions when I had my Varadero, and still cannot understand what is the point of letting the handlebars while driving.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The FJR blood bikes I ride are the same, big head shake around 50mph when hands off
But just light touching of the bars, and all smooth again
I guess geometry rather than tyres

·
Super Moderator
2,140 Posts
Yea mine are stock with this same issue

·
Super Moderator
3,589 Posts
Hello all. This is the first forum I have ever posted on. I ride a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports. Only has about 12,000kms on it, bought it new. I put normal upgrades like tires, Givi Panniers, seat etc. Absolutely love the bike BUT-

Somewhere along the line, I noticed at about between 50-70kms per hour, If I let go of the bars, I get a bad head shake.... not enough to throw me off the bike or anything, but it’s like an aggressive wobble (it’s oscillating). Of course I don’t plan on riding with no hands, but it was a big purchase for me, and it bugs me sooo much.

I recently had new tires put on, but it was done at a shop and they claim to have balanced them. Midas E09 on the front, and Hiedenau K60s rear.

I have also adjusted the rear sag knob into every position possible. Issue still occurs.

I weigh about 210lbs. Problem happens with panniers or no panniers (but the bike handles over all better with sag cranked all the way up fully loaded of course).

Bryson
Naive question: Any play in the head bearing stock?

·
Super Moderator
3,589 Posts
Hello all. This is the first forum I have ever posted on. I ride a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports. Only has about 12,000kms on it, bought it new. I put normal upgrades like tires, Givi Panniers, seat etc. Absolutely love the bike
Bryson
Welcome to the Forum Bryson.

Curious: What is the story behind your Avatar label, "Halfrican Twin"?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks for the post AT-Dragon. Tires always come up in these discussions. It could have something to do with the aggressive tire design itself. I would be curious to hear if anyone with stock tires still has this issue (I got my Shinko 808’s put on when the bike was new so never rode the stock tires).
However, I am almost over 12,000 Km’s and nothing has settled down yet. The problem still occurs...
Sometimes certain tires should not be used on certain bikes. I had a 1975 Honda CB-400F which looking back I never should have parted with. It came with a ribbed tread on the front and block tread on the rear. It was great that way at all speeds. When the original tires wore out I put a set of Avons on it which resulted in a block tread pattern front and rear. While riding solo the bike would feel a bit unsettled at 65 mph, at 70 it would squirm and at 75 it would star to wobble. When I warned someone of this when they took my bike for a ride, I rarely let anyone ride my bike, I was baffled when they said the bike performed flawlessly at all speeds. Finally I had a passenger with me who was about my weight. We were on an expressway with a speed limit of 70 mph. We hit 65 with no issues, then 70 and no squirming, 75 with no wobble and it stayed steady as a rock with a brief run up to 95 indicated. I then checked with Honda and explained the whole story. Honda Canada's response was the bike was designed for a rib tread front and block tread rear and I should return to a ribbed front tire. The problems went away as soon as the front tire was changed back to a ribbed tread. My particular weight and riding position seemed to aggravate the problem. Everyone else who road my bike was either lighter or heavier than me and a different height. I heard of something similar with Kawasaki's original 900cc Z1. It performed excellently with the original tires despite owners prematurely wearing them out. Those were the tires it was designed to use. Several owners found their pride and joy to be an entirely different beast when they installed tires from other manufacturers. So much for a bike is a bike and a tire is a tire.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lol, Good question double thumper! Here is the answer: I am actually half Canadian/half African American! Hence the name- Halfrican!!! :)
Good one. When I first saw it I thought you moved to the Africa Twin from a CB500X since its sometimes referred to a Halfrica Twin since its half the engine size :)

·
Administrator
1,916 Posts
Welcome to the forum Halfrican Twin! A friend of mine refers to herself as Halfrican for a similar reason. I thought of her when I saw the forum name :)

I was checking my bike today (2019 Adventure Sports.) after reading your post. I kept the OEM tires on it through the winter months and did not experience headshake/wobble when I took my hands off the bars in that speed range. That said, the tires have about 6K miles wear on them, so that may be a factor.

I don't have panniers or pannier racks mounted at this time.

Have you tried making any adjustments to tire pressure to see if increasing it or decreasing it has any impact?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Bill J... now my mind is again thinking tires! Appreciate the well written explanation, and I can almost see your story in my mind, lol.

Anyone else have this issue or any other suggestions? I may have to pull the front tire and swap to original for a test.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the forum Halfrican Twin! A friend of mine refers to herself as Halfrican for a similar reason. I thought of her when I saw the forum name :)

I was checking my bike today (2019 Adventure Sports.) after reading your post. I kept the OEM tires on it through the winter months and did not experience headshake/wobble when I took my hands off the bars in that speed range. That said, the tires have about 6K miles wear on them, so that may be a factor.

I don't have panniers or pannier racks mounted at this time.

Have you tried making any adjustments to tire pressure to see if increasing it or decreasing it has any impact?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Cuchulainn, I really, REALLY appreciate you doing the test to check it out on the stock tires!!! I have unfortunately played with the tire pressure quite a bit with no solution to the wobble. The E07 Midas tire often gets mixed reviews (which I am running on front), but the thing is- it happened when I ran my Shinkos as well.
Therefor, the more I hear tire responses, the more I think It may be Suspension related.
really wishing someone came on here with exact same issue and solution to that issue! Want to be fully content with my Atas.

Thanks again for the reply!

·
Administrator
1,916 Posts
Hey Cuchulainn, I really, REALLY appreciate you doing the test to check it out on the stock tires!!! I have unfortunately played with the tire pressure quite a bit with no solution to the wobble. The E07 Midas tire often gets mixed reviews (which I am running on front), but the thing is- it happened when I ran my Shinkos as well.
Therefor, the more I hear tire responses, the more I think It may be Suspension related.
really wishing someone came on here with exact same issue and solution to that issue! Want to be fully content with my Atas.

Thanks again for the reply!
No worries. I wish I could give a more direct answer with the tire combo that you have, but I have never run the Mitas E07 on either of my AT's.

I have a set of Dunlop Trailmax Missions to mount, but that won't help much either.

I can't recall seeing any posts about the wobble, but from responses from others, it sounds like you are not alone.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Bryson
If you put the Motoz Adventure tires on front and back it will do that without taking your hands off the bars, change the front over to a Shinko or Pirelli knobby and they are fine, I think it just depends on the tire dynamics (how much tread and how soft the compound) if you get it or not. As the tread depth goes down they stop doing it.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts