Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about 3 months in since the 2018 revamp (including the Sport) and I haven't seen a single post about problems yet. This is encouraging.
Just for the record - the 2016 bikes have had warranty issues with spokes, switchgear, fork seals, engine casings, heated grips and maybe some items I have missed. I think 2018 owners would probably have complained about some of those by now if they were fitting the same components (we know the spokes are different)
Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine 2018 ATAS DCT has been flawless thus far. I'll post up for sure if I run in to any problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
flawless

My 2018 had its first service at 470 miles about 3 weeks ago. The day after 3 of us set off on a european trip of 4,500 miles in 15 days taking in 17 countries. It never missed a beat

Look for my post on facebook with pics and a daily report by my riding buddy

https://www.facebook.com/ianSCOTSYscotson

ian

PS. i had a 16 for 2 years before it :smile2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
My dealer told me release date is July 9th for the next truck in our area of the midwest. So I'll get my AT AS DCT that week sometime hopefully. I've requested to be there for the unboxing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually there is a problem but fortunately it will be an easy fix. I picked up my new AS last week after a 2 plus week wait. HONDA has put a hold on all deliveries until they rectify a centre stand issue. Apparently a circlip that's holds the stand in place is sub-standard and is subject to failure. They will deliver some bikes if the owner is prepared to accept it without the center stand fitted. Not sure if this affects just the Adventure Sports or both models. Not a big issue, just annoying that it may delay deliveries. The issue has been confirmed by Australia Honda and I believe a recall is being considered.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've had no problems with my ATAS, had it 10 weeks now 5,500 miles, fitted a new set of tyres at 5,000 miles, all good,

Heated grips perfect, footpegs perfect, screen perfect, what more can I say, If I can keep waking up every morning that will be perfect too,:laugh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a Honda Center Stand from Rugged Road. I can confirm that the Circlip is a TOTAL JUNK. When I installed the Clip it broke into 3 pieces , had to call a friend that is a car mech and he found me a new clip.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Im having problems with a random missfire and stall issue 2018 ATAS since new, really starting to bug as never know when it will happen,But around 6 or 7 times In 2000 miles, Honda want to pull It apart to change the plugs but not really happy bout that as It doesnt feel like the problem...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Center Stand

Actually there is a problem but fortunately it will be an easy fix. I picked up my new AS last week after a 2 plus week wait. HONDA has put a hold on all deliveries until they rectify a centre stand issue. Apparently a circlip that's holds the stand in place is sub-standard and is subject to failure. They will deliver some bikes if the owner is prepared to accept it without the center stand fitted. Not sure if this affects just the Adventure Sports or both models. Not a big issue, just annoying that it may delay deliveries. The issue has been confirmed by Australia Honda and I believe a recall is being considered.
Hope this is sorted as I have asked for center stand installation on my AT being delivered next week.:surprise:

SteveR

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can confirm that the external temperature gauge on the 2018 bike is just as inaccurate as on the earlier machines. I rode alongside a brand new one yesterday and his and my temp gauges agreed exactly and were 2 to 3 degrees higher than a Tiger 800. (my own has been 'tested' against various other sources)
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my AT for just over a month and they didn't fit the centre stand due to the circlip problem. They said a new designed stand will be out in November.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 8500 miles on my ATAS.
I had the fuel starving problem at 6400 miles but a can of Seafoam fixed that. I have an oil weep from the clutch cover since new and I will change the oring when I change the oil. My dealer gave me a new oring quite a while ago but I just haven't gotten around to replacing it.
I had a leaky fork seal that I fixed by running a small piece of tear-off inside the seal to get the debris out of the seal. I mounted some Seal Savers and haven't had another leak since. It seems the dust seals fit too sloppy and let in dirt.
I've gone down on both sides. The light bar did a pretty good job of protecting the bike. I've rashed both the clutch cover and stator cover but neither have broken like I've seen on the internet. I went down hard in 3rd gear on the left side and expected some fairing damage but the light bar did a pretty good imitation of a crash bar. I've reshaped the skidplate with a few rocks but it too has held up pretty good. Both handguards broke from a fall over in the mud, or maybe a dog looked at them and they got scared. They look good but are crap. I've also broken the end off my front brake lever.
I've ridden this bike in places some folks wouldn't take a dual sport bike. It is more capable than I am. I am still learning how to use the TC and DCT properly. They are both tools that can make me look like a better rider than I am. I need more research; I'm going riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2018 sports bike adventure I encountered a problem when I reached 3000 kilometers The problem was in the left radiator fan and was solved by HONDA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a fuel pump and filter failure on my ATAS at around 2k miles. There apparently was debris left in the tank from the manufacturing process which then got into and clogged the fuel filter. The issue behaved similar to a vapor lock issue. You could open the gas tank to let the pressure out and drive down the road some more until too much pressure built up again. The dealer did some research and found that there were a couple others who had reported the same issue to Honda. Regardless, the issue was handled by Honda and I got both parts replaced. No issues since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 8500 miles on my ATAS.
I've ridden this bike in places some folks wouldn't take a dual sport bike. It is more capable than I am. I am still learning how to use the TC and DCT properly. They are both tools that can make me look like a better rider than I am. I need more research; I'm going riding.
I'm glad I am not the only one who takes this big heavy bike in places and situations most people would not. I keep trying to go up very steep rocky sandy hills. And as a result mine is pretty beat up too. Scratches and chips on my tank, the front faring on the right side has some plastic gouged out. The windscreen is very scratched up. The front fender had been beaten to ****, and of course both hand guards have been smashed. I have a good deal of aftermarket gear on mine, bars, etc. But I'll save my bike build for a more in depth article. I've been told my bike has character now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just 2 issues so far for me..

1. I'm 6'2" and the OEM screen makes the bike un-rideable above 40mph - a lot of taller riders are finding them same.
2. The matte black paint (euro model I think) looks great but is useless in practice. Had horrible shiny patches on the sides of the tank within 300miles.

Other than that... throttle is a little snatchy and jumpy at low speed - but loving it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the UK received this morning a safety recall. "Main Stand Circlip Breakage"

Only applies of course if you have the Honda Genuine accessory Main (centre) Stand fitted

1 - 20 of 35 Posts