Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 ATAS DCT ES
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I’ve had a quick look but can find an answer on here yet.
So bike details first 2021 ATAS DCT ES with 500 miles on it

Problem
Noisy brakes when coming to a complete stop, the noise only happens in the last 3-4MPH to complete stop it doesn’t matter if I’m soft or hard and this is only on the front brake, using the rear to do the last 3-4mph stop no noise can be heard. Noise sounds like general brake squealing but not as high pitched

so far I have cleaned the brakes with normal bike wash stuff with good blast of water at brakes to remove any road crap - no difference
Next I removed callipers and pads and cleaned with brake cleaner and applied copper slip to rear of pads and sliders - no difference there looks to no damage or scoring to the pads when I removed them no glazing either.

so question is do they just need more bedding in time? or do I have a noisy set of pads? Anyone else had this issue and swapped out the pads to a different set?

The bike stops well and I have full confidence in the brakes it’s just the noise is so irritating and embarrassing coming to a set of lights etc.

Cheers all

·
Registered
613 Posts
Cooper slip was in use in 1970 . Quite all front brake of 1000 or 1100 are sometimes noisy.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
566 Posts
That is pretty strange, I haven't notice any noises from my brakes on my 2019 ATAS. The only other thing I could think of might be to try to take some material of of the pads by taking them off and sanding them or just ride with the brakes on for bit. I recently had really squeaky brakes on my wife's brand new truck. The dealer took them off and sanded them down, it will get them past the hard spot that sometimes can develop. Pretty embarrassing when you have a brand new vehicle and you are squeaking everywhere.

Let us know if you find a solution. Also if you are sanding the brakes please where a minimum N95 mask, but that pretty much goes for sanding anything.

Reactions: Sled

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
I am wondering if this is a thing newly introduced in the Honda implementation of rear wheel brakes? This is also a mysterious problem on late model (e.g. 2017 - ) Honda CB1100s that owners seem to be unable to resolve. They tried the approaches said in this thread, in addition to realignments, pad re-seating, etc. etc. Sometimes the symptom would go away for several hundred clicks, but only to return.

Maybe not related, slightly older CB1100 model years would sometimes behave the same - but only when there was a slight water vapor build-up on the rear disk (e.g. due to environment condensation and not necessarily rain).

·
Registered
AT DCT XADV CT125
234 Posts
For such a new bike its so important to bed them in gently. For the first 100 miles use only 30-50 % then gradually increase stopping power. Have a look at discs to ascertain any scoring or uneven scoring.
Also the softest pads which i believe are actually the genuine ones are best for running in as they are sacrificial. Rather wear pads than discs.
Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
2021 ATAS DCT ES
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the ideas and tips, when I say hard I’m not doing full on 50mph emergency stops just nice progressing braking just harder than I would coming up to a normal junction etc. No scoring or damage to the disks either. I’ll keep an eye on it and mention when it goes in for first service in a week or two before taking more action such as sanding the pads down.
Like I said more embarrassing than worried about the brakes cheers all again

·
Registered
613 Posts
sanding the pads will keep the issue away for few days. Better some hard brake actions to keep them clean.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Morning all,

I’ve had a quick look but can find an answer on here yet.
So bike details first 2021 ATAS DCT ES with 500 miles on it

Problem
Noisy brakes when coming to a complete stop, the noise only happens in the last 3-4MPH to complete stop it doesn’t matter if I’m soft or hard and this is only on the front brake, using the rear to do the last 3-4mph stop no noise can be heard. Noise sounds like general brake squealing but not as high pitched

so far I have cleaned the brakes with normal bike wash stuff with good blast of water at brakes to remove any road crap - no difference
Next I removed callipers and pads and cleaned with brake cleaner and applied copper slip to rear of pads and sliders - no difference there looks to no damage or scoring to the pads when I removed them no glazing either.

so question is do they just need more bedding in time? or do I have a noisy set of pads? Anyone else had this issue and swapped out the pads to a different set?

The bike stops well and I have full confidence in the brakes it’s just the noise is so irritating and embarrassing coming to a set of lights etc.

Cheers all
So do mine, and my 20 year old Harley does too…
AT isn’t bad enough to be annoying, just noticeable. Has done it since new. Now has 10k miles.

·
Registered
CRF 1100 ATAS DTC 2020
7 Posts
I have now +26000 km, third pair of front brakes pads (Nissin, EBC, same punishement). I am a little ashamed to stop at traffic lights with a "Skweaaaaak". I just look elsewhere and ignore.
Just too bad my ATAS acts like a very pretty girl...farting from times to times.

·
July 2022 ROTM Winner
592 Posts
My front brakes have made, what I can only describe as, a zipping noise under braking. I've never challenged it at the dealership as they have always stopped and show no signs of any issues either pads / callipers / discs. Bike has done 29k+ miles and so I just live with it.

Not quite what you are saying about yours but in my opinion, if they do their job (like mine) I wouldn't worry about it. Usually squeaking brake noise boils down to excessive brake dust and/or vibrating pads not aligned in parallel to disc/piston.....but you've cleaned, applied slip and made sure the pistons are working?

For the record, 500 miles of gradual general use is more than enough to bed pads in properly.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,422 Posts
My 2021 AT DCT made slight noises when pushing around, not really squeaks but more a scrape. When on the go and stopping there was no noise.
My 2022 ATAS DCT makes no noise at all.
I have seen youtube videos where there is a real squeal from AT's brakes, weird how some do it and others don't.

·
Registered
606 Posts
They may just make more noise, I haven't really noticed with mine but wear earplugs. Too much fluid in the system not allowing the caliper pistons to retract enough especially when warm, same with dirty calipers. Reusing the stock pad shims with aftermarket pads can also cause issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts