Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remember “Dime Stores” ? Or five & dimes as they use to be called..
(For those of you not in the knowing, they were the dollar store’s back in the day..)
The one we had closest to us had a diner in their basement that had the best food.

·
Super Moderator
1,073 Posts
I definitely remember the five and dimes. Ours didn't have a diner, but there were plenty of good diners around where you could score a really good meal for not a lot of money. Hard to find a good diner these days. They often aren't cheap anymore and lack the charm of the ones like you pictured above.

We sometimes ride out to one called Rosies Diner in Monument, CO. It is fashioned, much like the Rosies in Ceder Springs, MI. Which is to say after the Silver Dollar Diner of Little Ferry, New Jersey that was used in Bounty Paper Towel ads. They do have some pretty good malts though, still served with a tin :)

·
Super Moderator
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say drive-in theaters, but actually there still is one about 12 miles from me, tho me and the other half haven’t been to it for about a year and a half./

·
Super Moderator
1,073 Posts
I would say drive-in theaters, but actually there still is one about 12 miles from me, tho me and the other half haven’t been to it for about a year and a half./
They may be making a come back in the next few years. The ultimate social distancing way to watch movies. May have to alter it to delivery of concessions though, rather than the old fashioned way of standing in line for them.

How about Soda Fountains? There used to be one in Glenwood Springs, but it is now closed. There is still one in Lyons, CO., The Lyons Soda Fountain and Bakery...

It isn't nearly as cool as this old antique from Silver Scoop Ice Cream in Fairplay, but of course, this one is only for show these days...

·
Super Moderator
1,073 Posts
Ooo, wow ... is that made of marble?
It is. Italian marble and silver. I am guessing from one of the old South Park City buildings they reclaimed, but I am not certain. The fountain and the ice cream scoops which are silver with wooden handles (Thus the Silver Scoop Ice Cream name) are all apparently circa 1800's.

·
Super Moderator
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They may be making a come back in the next few years. The ultimate social distancing way to watch movies. May have to alter it to delivery of concessions though, rather than the old fashioned way of standing in line for them.

How about Soda Fountains? There used to be one in Glenwood Springs, but it is now closed. There is still one in Lyons, CO., The Lyons Soda Fountain and Bakery...

View attachment 53936

It isn't nearly as cool as this old antique from Silver Scoop Ice Cream in Fairplay, but of course, this one is only for show these days...

View attachment 53937
you know it been a long time since I actually had a soda made by hand, there use to be a place that did it not far from my house... Man! I can’t remember the name, but they mixed each soda by hand when you ordered it. At least we have a lot of places around here that still make shakes the old school way - rich creamy nice cream & milk (and your flavor).
that is one impressive looking dispenser..
BTW that “one for show” - OMG! That drop ceiling - words just can’t describe what it does to the whole atmosphere they are trying to create - other than it killed it. At the very least some ornate FAKE ceiling tiles would of been acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't think I have ever had a "proper" soda. Lot's of traditional milkshakes, yum, but no soda fountain drink.
If it’s made right Yuuuuuummmmmm!
Especially if it’s a bit on the syrupy side...

·
Super Moderator
1,073 Posts
you know it been a long time since I actually had a soda made by hand, there use to be a place that did it not far from my house... Man! I can’t remember the name, but they mixed each soda by hand when you ordered it. At least we have a lot of places around here that still make shakes the old school way - rich creamy nice cream & milk (and your flavor).
that is one impressive looking dispenser..
BTW that “one for show” - OMG! That drop ceiling - words just can’t describe what it does to the whole atmosphere they are trying to create - other than it killed it. At the very least some ornate FAKE ceiling tiles would of been acceptable.
I agree with you about the ceiling. Silver Scoop Ice Cream (the one with the marble soda fountain), did a much better job with the interior.

The outside of the building looks modern and unassuming, while the inside you feel a little like you are walking back in time. From the stamped ceiling tiles to the to aniques like the stamped register in the 3rd photo.

That Rosie's Dinner I posted in that 1st has good shakes and malts. It's an occasional "guilty pleasure" stop for a caramel mocha malt :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with you about the ceiling. Silver Scoop Ice Cream (the one with the marble soda fountain), did a much better job with the interior.

The outside of the building looks modern and unassuming, while the inside you feel a little like you are walking back in time. From the stamped ceiling tiles to the to aniques like the stamped register in the 3rd photo.

That Rosie's Dinner I posted in that 1st has good shakes and malts. It's an occasional "guilty pleasure" stop for a caramel mocha malt :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Much, much better (y)(y)(y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts