Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon all, I have a 2017 AT DCT with very low miles as I've had it about 8 months but it's my 2nd bike after my Kawasaki Concours 14 in the garage at the moment (once all farkled up I'd planned to get it out on some dirt)... So, it sits in the garage (on a battery tender) for weeks at a time. I last rode it about three weeks ago and all was good.. Today I went out there and fired it up to warm while I was putting my helmet on, etc.. when I looked at it, I noticed that apart from blue high beam indicator, the display was completely black / blank.. I tried turning it on and off a few times.. The headlights are on, but the turn signals, hazards and brake lights are all dead just like the display....The DCT control is also dead so it won't even go into gear to ride it to the shop.. SMH IS this a known issue / easy fix, or?

I originally posted this in the wrong area, and don't seem to be able to delete it...

Cheers, John.

Bueller? ANYONE??

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd start with easy checks - battery holding a charge? Battery terminals fastened tightly?
Pull all the main fuses and see if any have popped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alas it would seem my hopes of getting help were misplaced. Appreciate the efforts of the two of you. Even worse Ride Now where I purchased the bike have stopped supporting Honda at the location where it was purchased; so I'm now stuck with a piece of junk and no easy means of getting it fixed. Sure, I can rent a trailer and get a friend or two to drive over and assist and then take it somewhere... Not exactly the free ranging dream I had in mind when I bought it. Worse, they no longer do consignment either, so I can't even tell them to keep it and sell it. Thanks Ride Now....

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've had pretty good luck on various motorcycle forums when things go wrong.
Maybe post again with a new thread and ask for help from local riders - AZ specific.
There are other MC forums as well on africatwin.org (small forum) and advrider they have a thread AT Problem thread (lots of users and support).
Maybe call Honda support if it's still under warranty or find a recommended dealer.
I went to a dealer in Flagstaff, AZ when I had an issue (complete electrical meltdown on my VFR) when on a long tour down there - Northland Motorsports - really good service and techs that knew what they were doing.
Keep us posted on your developments.

Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
There have been reports of bad batteries and also excess draw from aftermarket usb power inverters

Never assume the battery is fine(or bad), start with the basics and proceed with facts.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would check all battery connections to make sure they are tight - especially the ground.
Yes, that may be the source of the strangest electrical problems, like the one described.
Also, I've read of a few problems with faulty wiring (main harnesses): unfortunately these may be pretty hard to find. I feel like you really need some Honda dealer...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions guys.. I'm going to spend some more time running things down / checking and I'll report back once I've discovered the root cause. Cheers, John.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Electrical Schematic

I have the manual and will look at it in the morning, I am in Delaware, watching Seahawks and Cowboys.

I am sure its a fuse blown, do not despair.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You blew the 30 amp main, the manual shows it as part of the starter relay. 2 fuses inside, 30 amp main and F1 a 15 amp. F1 feeds the starting circuit but the 30 feeds almost everything else. These are not located under the seat in full view. If you have access to the manual look at pages 6-7.

Buying the shop manual is well worth the $70

Look at drawing attached, lower center, 30 amp main, F1 is good I am guessing.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Main fuses are not with the others: they are placed on the right side below the seat, opposite side of the battery. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts