Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just done 1200 mile round the Emerald Isle and the numb hand mentioned in another thread was a nuisance.
We need to experiment with some potential solutions and list on here what works for people.

Firstly though - are we all getting the same problem - numb right hand or fingers that comes on after a few minutes riding?

In my case it only happens at highway speeds - indicated 75 (true 67mph) is the worst. It is often accompanied by a pain within the shoulder (eventually). I am almost certain that it's a resonant vibration at 75 in 6th gear. If I put my left hand on top of the brake fluid reservoir it feels like a dremel tool is cutting through it with a carborundum wheel. There is no noticeable vibration on the left bar.

Grip Puppies haven't worked for me. I have the OEM handguards fitted. no engine bars. Panniers were on for the trip, but I'm sure it happens without them.

Fortunately for me, it seems to pass off after about 25 to 30 minutes riding, but I'm worried that I will go on a long trip and it won't pass.
Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
I felt it right away as compared to my last bike (Yamaha R1), which was smooth as ice in every gear at every speed. I'm chalking the AT vibration up to being a twin and just not needing to be so refined. On my near 500-mile weekend, I used a Throttle Rocker to fight it and it definitely helped.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have 2 pairs of gloves. One is a pair of AlpineStars SMX2 Air Carbons. The other is a cheap pair of waterproof gloves that are thin. The AlpineStars make my hands go numb, but the cheap ones don't. Go figure. I think it is too much leather folded up at the base of my fingers when I am riding, even though the AlpineStars are built with curved fingers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Mike, I have the Oxford heated grips installed, and it definitely helos... It doesn't eradicate the issue completely but helps a lot..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've just done 1200 mile round the Emerald Isle and the numb hand mentioned in another thread was a nuisance.
We need to experiment with some potential solutions and list on here what works for people.

Firstly though - are we all getting the same problem - numb right hand or fingers that comes on after a few minutes riding?

In my case it only happens at highway speeds - indicated 75 (true 67mph) is the worst. It is often accompanied by a pain within the shoulder (eventually). I am almost certain that it's a resonant vibration at 75 in 6th gear. If I put my left hand on top of the brake fluid reservoir it feels like a dremel tool is cutting through it with a carborundum wheel. There is no noticeable vibration on the left bar.

Grip Puppies haven't worked for me. I have the OEM handguards fitted. no engine bars. Panniers were on for the trip, but I'm sure it happens without them.

Fortunately for me, it seems to pass off after about 25 to 30 minutes riding, but I'm worried that I will go on a long trip and it won't pass.
Mike
it's you or something you have done to the bike. This bikes handlebars don't vibrate normally. If it was a major issue you would hear about it on these threads.

Reactions: Mudslingr

·
Registered
154 Posts
I still think the solution IS a throttle lock of some sort. I know you say it only happens at 75 indicated, but that could be a due to pressure needed to hold throttle open that much?
I use the NEP MCC20-P version throttle lock. It is only 20$ or a bit more and solves the numb hands thing for me 100%.
In my case, it has nothing to do with vibration or speed, but the twisting needed to hold throttle open. I had the problem on Gold Wings, if I did not use cruise control, same thing on Tenere if cruise not used, and now on AT.
The NEP goes right on in 5 minutes if you get the right version, easy as pie to set and release, and I am betting it is a great solution for numb hands. It is for me!
When I drive out on open highway, I use cruise control on our cages also. Why use muscle tension to resist spring mechanical tension when it is not necessary????

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 pairs of gloves. One is a pair of AlpineStars SMX2 Air Carbons. The other is a cheap pair of waterproof gloves that are thin. The AlpineStars make my hands go numb, but the cheap ones don't. Go figure. I think it is too much leather folded up at the base of my fingers when I am riding, even though the AlpineStars are built with curved fingers.
Worth considering - but I have used my gloves on 3 NC750 bikes and my Rocket and I don't have a problem. I might try riding with no glove on the right hand for 20 minutes.
Mike

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still think the solution IS a throttle lock of some sort. I know you say it only happens at 75 indicated, but that could be a due to pressure needed to hold throttle open that much?
I use the NEP MCC20-P version throttle lock. It is only 20$ or a bit more and solves the numb hands thing for me 100%.
In my case, it has nothing to do with vibration or speed, but the twisting needed to hold throttle open. I had the problem on Gold Wings, if I did not use cruise control, same thing on Tenere if cruise not used, and now on AT.
The NEP goes right on in 5 minutes if you get the right version, easy as pie to set and release, and I am betting it is a great solution for numb hands. It is for me!
When I drive out on open highway, I use cruise control on our cages also. Why use muscle tension to resist spring mechanical tension when it is not necessary????
I have the Gocruise fitted - and obviously if I set that and don't hold the right grip at all, then it doesn't happen, but even if I rest my hands gently on the bars the right goes numb.
Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have a tire out of balance or some other mechanical anomaly. Take it to your dealership to get checked.
Mine has never vibrated as you have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have a tire out of balance or some other mechanical anomaly. Take it to your dealership to get checked.
Mine has never vibrated as you have mentioned.
Well when I borrowed the shop's demonstrator for half a day, I had the same problem so I think it's in the nature of the engine rather than some fault (the bike does not feel vibey). Just some people's arms and spines react to it and others don't. No big deal but it would be nice to get lots of ideas to try. I'm keener on damping the right bar than using different kinds of insulation.
Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am having the same problem, and have tried several remedies, none of which have worked: Crampbuster throttle paddle, different gloves, luggage on luggage off, stock screen, Vario screen, nothing seems to help. Don't have the problem on my H-D Fat Bob, which revs much lower and has bigger grips. Gloves do make a difference, but like a previous poster, it seems the cheaper the better. I purposely bought some gel palm River Road gloves, and they made BOTH my hands go numb. Just finished an 800 mile ride, and it's a big problem. Not a deal breaker, but disappointing, because otherwise, it's the most comfortable bike I've ever been on...including big HD tourers.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey wow - I think I've found my problem and it's not the bike. Seems likely it's the Pectoralis Minor muscle in the front of my shoulder. This lady in the video describes my problem EXACTLy - even down to the pains I get along the top of my back when driving my car - which I hadn't connected with the hand numbness on the bike. I also occasionally find myself waking up in the night with numb hands and it may well be that I went to sleep with my hands above my head.
Definitely worth talking to my physio about this afternoon (he's trying to fix a knee problem for me )
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
What rufty, tufty old bikers we are. Choice of bike and topics of conversation drift to our ailments more and more the older we get. It seems I fix one ache for a new surprise to take over.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should have added into this thread that I couldn't really blame the AT as during the last week of my NC750 ownership it was happening with that bike. However I knew that needed a new chain so thought it was the bike
I will keep you posted as to whether the lady above is correct (for me)
Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but the position of the bars is what fixed it for me. I havent had the issue on my AT, but I installed a bar riser almost immediately. But on my nc700x my right hand would go numb when riding. I tried different grips, foam grip covers, but the only temporary relief i could get was to raise my elbow while riding. Didnt change my grip on the bars, i just stuck my right elbow up and out farther and the numbness would go away. So then I installed bar risers and messed with the angle of the bars and that did it for me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not sure about riders' experience levels but it could be riding position or grip.

Loose grip just lightly on the handlebars
Elbows out
Experiment with distance to the bars/seat
Thinner/thicker gloves

I have had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands and haven't noticed any vibration at all on this bike and definitely not numbness or pain. In fact, I was quite surprised to see how vibe-free the bike was in general.

Good luck to you all isolating this issue. :)

Reactions: John Bell

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey wow - I think I've found my problem and it's not the bike. Seems likely it's the Pectoralis Minor muscle in the front of my shoulder. This lady in the video describes my problem EXACTLy - even down to the pains I get along the top of my back when driving my car - which I hadn't connected with the hand numbness on the bike. I also occasionally find myself waking up in the night with numb hands and it may well be that I went to sleep with my hands above my head.
Definitely worth talking to my physio about this afternoon (he's trying to fix a knee problem for me )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtiwdRp6vQ
Mike
Saw my physio today about my knee and told him about this video. Turns out he'd already diagnosed it as the pectoralis minor from the couple of symptoms I had described and had previously given me some exercises to lengthen this muscle. He's given me about 4 more to do at home so I now have high hopes that the painful shoulder and right hand numbness might be curable given a few weeks.
Mike

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What are the knee exercises?
10 week programme to see if building up mobility and strength in the knee can get me back to Walking Football which I had to stop last August. I think there is a chance but it's arthritis so it could worsen
Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts