Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get really bad numb throttle hand on this bike. Is not from over gripping as I'm very careful to use a light grip. I'm thinking it's the basic grips combined with fairly plain leather gloves. I might order these Grip Puppy slip over things I saw earlier today. Anyone else had/have this issue?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I get really bad numb throttle hand on this bike. Is not from over gripping as I'm very careful to use a light grip. I'm thinking it's the basic grips combined with fairly plain leather gloves. I might order these Grip Puppy slip over things I saw earlier today. Anyone else had/have this issue?

I had this issue occasionally early on. I think for me, the grip diameter is important. I have really long fingers so a larger grip is more comfortable. I've used grip puppies in the past with success, and I purchased them for this bike but did not need them after installing heated grips (they had a larger diameter anyway). I just did about 1000 miles this weekend with the koso apollo grips and not a tingle in my hand anymore.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dont have this problem on the AT, but on my NCX i ran into this. I found that adjusting the angle of the bars by loosening the holder and rotating up or down did the most to solve it for me. I did also pretty much immediately install bar risers on the AT, so maybe that solved it right off the bat, but I didnt have it long enough before to notice.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I dont have this problem on the AT, but on my NCX i ran into this. I found that adjusting the angle of the bars by loosening the holder and rotating up or down did the most to solve it for me. I did also pretty much immediately install bar risers on the AT, so maybe that solved it right off the bat, but I didnt have it long enough before to notice.
Fortunately for my AT, I developed tingling numb throttle hand about a week before I picked her up. And that was on my NC750X. I had assumed that it was due to a nearly worn out chain so was very surprised to find that the new AT caused the same problem. I'm putting it down now to an age thing. The numbness comes on after about 5 minutes but then goes away after about 30 minutes of riding.
Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
The solution is about 20 bux and very simple install. Nep cruise control, cc2 version.
Very efficient, easy to set, easy to unset.
Gives your wrist a huge relief.
I would not ride any bike without something like this to give relief to carpal tunnel symptons.
Nothing like a little rest to undo the numbness!

·
Registered
230 Posts
+1 on the adjusting ergos of the bars. Sometimes the nerves through your shoulders just don't like to sit a certain way, and rotating the bars back or forward, or adding risers can solve that kind of problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up my AT yesterday and had an hour and a half ride home. Had numb throttle hand about ten minutes into ride and it never went away so going to see about getting me some of those Grip Puppies!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Picked up my AT yesterday and had an hour and a half ride home. Had numb throttle hand about ten minutes into ride and it never went away so going to see about getting me some of those Grip Puppies!
BTW if you start with heated grips that work !! then they still work with grip puppies on. Just takes abit longer for the heat to come through.
Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im not a doctor, and I don't play one on the innerweb, but your numbness is probably carpal tunnel. Ive got it and I added a Kaoko throttle lock. Works wonders. Putting a little tension on the throttle reduces the effort required to hold it open. Ive got other issues with my right wrist and the throttle lock greatly reduces the pain.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Im not a doctor, and I don't play one on the innerweb, but your numbness is probably carpal tunnel. Ive got it and I added a Kaoko throttle lock. Works wonders. Putting a little tension on the throttle reduces the effort required to hold it open. Ive got other issues with my right wrist and the throttle lock greatly reduces the pain.
Solman, You are 100% correct. Changing the grips might provide a tiny improvement, but using some sort of throttle lock provides a HUGE improvement. It appears mostly that fact is overlooked in this thread. I am not a doctor either, but I know what works!!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Solman, You are 100% correct. Changing the grips might provide a tiny improvement, but using some sort of throttle lock provides a HUGE improvement. It appears mostly that fact is overlooked in this thread. I am not a doctor either, but I know what works!!!
I think this is right. The gocruise allows me to take my hand off and wave it about for surprisingly long periods compared with my nc750 but I don't think that's what gives the relief. It's the fact that with the gocruise in position you don't need to grip the throttle so tightly but you have to train your brain to do this.
Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I tried the grip puppies and they didn't help at all. They actually made the grip too thick and I wear 2XL gloves. I will probably try some sort of throttle lock next.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, I have Oxford heated grips..They are thick ....Defo improve things ...Less vibration ...But I think that even with them..in the end you need to have a very light touch of the controls.. Kaoko might be a good option too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
K here's my cheapo solution. Added a layer of black hockeystick tape, followed by a layer of blue, tacky, rubberized tape. Gives a little more thickness but not too much like the grip puppies. The blue stuff is very foamy, soft, and sticky so we'll see if it helps.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I found a change of gloves helped me a lot. My hands used to get tired and sore after only 30 minutes riding. It turned out my gloves were too tight, new gloves, after trying on about 30 pairs in the shop solved 80% of my problem. Still have a certain level of numbness but thats just my age! I think it it worthwhile trying gloves on at a shop rather than mail order, there is only so many times you can send a mail order item back because of fit. Every pair I tried differed in fit to me and it was worth investing 30 minutes of my time to get something I really felt comfortable with. It ended up being a low cost pair of Modeka Fuego's (Summer glove) over much more expensive brands. (The velcro fastening is not the best I will say though). Squeeze you hand into a fist with your glove on, if there is any discomfort at all they are too small.

Reactions: nixter
1 - 19 of 19 Posts