Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the OEM fog/aux light kit from Honda?

I am considering ordering them and installing them myself. I like things integrated into the bike's system other than adding another switch to control them. Otherwise I've always eyed the Denali lights and I have no problems doing the electrical.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Anyone have the OEM fog/aux light kit from Honda?

I am considering ordering them and installing them myself. I like things integrated into the bike's system other than adding another switch to control them. Otherwise I've always eyed the Denali lights and I have no problems doing the electrical.
I've just had the accessory plug connected in front for installing a USB plug in the vacant spot on my 2019.
They swapped the pin outs (from earlier model) but nothing you can't figure out with a multimeter.
The rear OP pinouts are different also but still has the switched 12v lead.
So installing the OEM fog lights and Denali's should be no more difficult than it has been.
I have no idea what they changed in the 2020 model but I read the 2018 ATAS has a few more headscratchers in store.
Oh, there is this- a new fastener!
They call it a "twist clip"

Auto part Engine Metal Automotive engine part

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,264 Posts
installed the OEM switch plus extra on my 18
lol and a light or two.
was going to get the OEM lights at first but opted for better aftermarket ones and OEM switch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good options.

There is no room on the 2020 dash area for a switch like the older models. The 2020 has no rear options plug and the front one is two wires that are switched using controls like how the heated grips work. It's a "virtual" switch controlled by the bike's systems. If I go aftermarket I'm sure I can find appropriate signal wires for ignition and hi/low beam for triggering relays if I want to get fancy. I know I will need a dealer to turn the functionality on for me if/when I install them using the front option plug.

Lots to think about, design and plan.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,264 Posts
Some good options.

There is no room on the 2020 dash area for a switch like the older models. The 2020 has no rear options plug and the front one is two wires that are switched using controls like how the heated grips work. It's a "virtual" switch controlled by the bike's systems. If I go aftermarket I'm sure I can find appropriate signal wires for ignition and hi/low beam for triggering relays if I want to get fancy. I know I will need a dealer to turn the functionality on for me if/when I install them using the front option plug.

Interesting, good to know.
I would think that, at least where the auxiliary lights are concerned, there is a relay just for them ? And then too a plug/port to add the OEM lights (at the factory).
It seems to me that it would already be “active” just not useable because the circuit is not complete. I would think that just adding lights at the factory or dealer (or by owner for that matter) would be just a plug-n-play thing . That when the ECU boots/starts up it doesn’t see power to those lights so doesn’t make that “switch” active .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Some good options.

I’m getting them tomorrow, as you have said, there is no physical switch to add. I believe you can buy a connector from honda that puts the system into service mode that then allows you to tell the bike the lights have been added, Rugged Roads sell it.

“OEM Honda Service Check Short Service Connector - CRF1100 (all models)

While many fuel injection diagnostic tools are expensive and complex, there are some that are simple and easy to use. The Honda Service Check Short Service connector is a simple jumper connector that is used to check and erase Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). This SCS service connector is needed on a wide range of Honda powersport engines- ATVs, motorcycles, and personal watercraft all require this basic tool.

The tool, part number 070MZ0010300, is an electrical connector with a built in jumper wire. The tool connects to the Data Link Connector (DLC), and jumps two wires of the DLC to create an input to the ECM. While the wires can be jumped manually without the tool, the tool insures the correct wires are jumped.

This tool is also required for the installation of the following accessories - to enable each accessory in the TFT screen menu:
  • OEM Honda Quickshifter
  • OEM Honda Heated Grips
  • OEM Honda Fog Lights
  • OEM Honda Electronic Suspension”

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,264 Posts
I’m getting them tomorrow, as you have said, there is no physical switch to add. I believe you can buy a connector from honda that puts the system into service mode that then allows you to tell the bike the lights have been added, Rugged Roads sell it.

“OEM Honda Service Check Short Service Connector - CRF1100 (all models)

While many fuel injection diagnostic tools are expensive and complex, there are some that are simple and easy to use. The Honda Service Check Short Service connector is a simple jumper connector that is used to check and erase Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). This SCS service connector is needed on a wide range of Honda powersport engines- ATVs, motorcycles, and personal watercraft all require this basic tool.

The tool, part number 070MZ0010300, is an electrical connector with a built in jumper wire. The tool connects to the Data Link Connector (DLC), and jumps two wires of the DLC to create an input to the ECM. While the wires can be jumped manually without the tool, the tool insures the correct wires are jumped.

This tool is also required for the installation of the following accessories - to enable each accessory in the TFT screen menu:
  • OEM Honda Quickshifter
  • OEM Honda Heated Grips
  • OEM Honda Fog Lights
  • OEM Honda Electronic Suspension”
Cool, then my OBD2 service tool would get me into that screen too, I noticed plugging that in to read the codes (on my 18ATAS) causes the codes to “flash out” on the dash too, just like if you use the jumper wires. It will also read a few data points and some telemetry too.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Interesting. But how would you control the lights?
Via the bloated menu system?
Talking about the TFT dash there is a DTC display under the service menu; so the SCS connector is not needed.

Or, in usual Honda style, you still need to connect the dongle to have the dash show the codes; yep; that's how they'd do it.
(n)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. But how would you control the lights?
Via the bloated menu system?
Talking about the TFT dash there is a DTC display under the service menu; so the SCS connector is not needed.

Or, in usual Honda style, you still need to connect the dongle to have the dash show the codes; yep; that's how they'd do it.
(n)
There are easy controls on the 2020 all over the place if you take the time to learn them. I have no problems using anything on my 2020 at all. I do not understand the complaints about "the bloated menu system". To me it makes perfect sense.
My understanding is the lights are controlled just like my heated grips. I touch the AUX button on my brake side to select which thing to control and use the option up and down on the clutch side to set it. I don't even have to look to adjust my heated grips anymore. I'm sure it would be the same for the aux lights. I am sure someone with the actual product could correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If I have offended someone, it certainly was not intentional.
I take it you mean to push the Function Sel button? (there is no button labeled AUX according to the manual)
But I hope you figure it out. I just thought the absence of any mention of fog light control on the dash menu a bit puzzling.
Maybe a new menu item "pops up" when you connect the lights?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I have offended someone, it certainly was not intentional.
I take it you mean to push the Function Sel button? (there is no button labeled AUX according to the manual)
But I hope you figure it out. I just thought the absence of any mention of fog light control on the dash menu a bit puzzling.
Maybe a new menu item "pops up" when you connect the lights?
No offence was taken by me. I think you are correct that it is the "Function Sel button". I am not on my bike and forget what the manual says. It's the one at your index finger on the front of the control cluster on the brake side. That is how you select the heated grips/bluetooth volume and I think that is how you select the aux lights too. Once selected (showing on the bottom of the screen) you can change their setting using the Fn up/down button on the clutch side (top right most).

There is nothing extra to see/show until you have them. It will show an indicator on the TFT screen once activated and turned on.

I found anything that is an option has no reference to it even in the service manual. Since the heated grips are stock it's in the owner's manual. I am sure the instructions that come with the aux lights outline everything I would need to know. The service manual shows what pins to short and I happen to have left over connectors and pins from my previous bike's electrical upgrades adding USB charging and GPS power switched via the rear options plug on the CB500X. I am kind of disappointed there isn't a read options plug on my AT.

Now part of me is wondering if I could have the best of all worlds and get a plug for the front option plug, wire it to power my own choice of aux lights attached to the OEM brakets. Then I could short those pins and turn that plug on... Should work.

Like I said... lots of options to think about.

The lazy part of me would just buy the aux light kit and service plug and just put that on so it's completely integrated OEM... Now I'm rambling... It's time for bed. :sleep:

·
Registered
6 Posts
No offence was taken by me. I think you are correct that it is the "Function Sel button". I am not on my bike and forget what the manual says. It's the one at your index finger on the front of the control cluster on the brake side. That is how you select the heated grips/bluetooth volume and I think that is how you select the aux lights too. Once selected (showing on the bottom of the screen) you can change their setting using the Fn up/down button on the clutch side (top right most).

There is nothing extra to see/show until you have them. It will show an indicator on the TFT screen once activated and turned on.

I found anything that is an option has no reference to it even in the service manual. Since the heated grips are stock it's in the owner's manual. I am sure the instructions that come with the aux lights outline everything I would need to know. The service manual shows what pins to short and I happen to have left over connectors and pins from my previous bike's electrical upgrades adding USB charging and GPS power switched via the rear options plug on the CB500X. I am kind of disappointed there isn't a read options plug on my AT.

Now part of me is wondering if I could have the best of all worlds and get a plug for the front option plug, wire it to power my own choice of aux lights attached to the OEM brakets. Then I could short those pins and turn that plug on... Should work.

Like I said... lots of options to think about.

The lazy part of me would just buy the aux light kit and service plug and just put that on so it's completely integrated OEM... Now I'm rambling... It's time for bed. :sleep:

Hello. There are some news about that topic?
I have a set of puig fog lights that I used to have on my previous bike, and I'm wondering to instal them on my CRF 1100 ADV Sports and I don't know where can I get the 12v power to the switch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know where can I get the 12v power to the switch.
I am in Canada so have the North American version of this bike. (The one without any wiring for the aux lights.). I have a PDM60 under my seat powering my GPS and heated vest. Main power is from the battery and the 12 volt switched power to trigger it on and off is from the tail light. Any accessory you run on your bike should be wired through fuses either direct to the battery or the main fuse block. (That is what the PDM60 is for. It has overcurrent protection and programable on/off delay.)

On my previous bike I wired in a relay to switch the power on and off. Power comes from the battery. The switch signal comes from any 12 volt source that turns on with the key.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So North American bikes don't get the button blanks in the fairing of the old bikes nor the ready harness and software switch of the new bikes? Thanks Honda! 🖕

1 - 20 of 32 Posts