Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 ATAS and I put the OEM centerstand on. When I put the bike up the rear wheel won't come off the ground. I've tried level, uphill, and downhill grades and both wheels are thoroughly on the ground. I've gotta be doing something wrong- any ideas on why the rear wheel won't come up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is there a chance that the center stand you have is for the standard model AT and not the ATAS?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, they are different. Both fit but the AS is taller.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2018 standard AT OEM part number 08M70-MKK-D01

2018 ATAS OEM part number 08M70-MKK-D21

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a fifth trip for service is in order then. I purchased this new four weeks ago. It just gets better and better.

Thank you. I was stressing something wasn't right and was assured by the parts department that there was only one model. ****.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am wondering, has anyone has transferred a center stand from a standard AT to a ATAS ? I have seen some say it will fit and others say the ATAS is too tall. I removed the center stand from my standard AT for my new ATAS. Was thinking I could weld some extenders on the feet if necessary. Thanks.

Jon

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am wondering, has anyone has transferred a center stand from a standard AT to a ATAS ? I have seen some say it will fit and others say the ATAS is too tall. I removed the center stand from my standard AT for my new ATAS. Was thinking I could weld some extenders on the feet if necessary. Thanks.

Jon
Based on what I've read on several forums the standard AT center stand will fit just fine. But you will be unable to service the tires and chain without some sort of means to raise the bike. That kind of defeats the purpose of the center stand especially if you are off road. When I purchased my AS in June I was aware of the out of stock situation on the OEM stand and ordered the SW Motech product. It took a month to arrive and works very well. It is more expensive than the Honda product but at least I was able to get it much sooner.

P.S.

I admire your welding skills. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happened to me. Was supplied the wrong stand by Honda. I had a right game on fitting it only to find the rear wheel still on the ground when on the centre stand.
Went to Honda the next day and the only in stock was reserved for a customer. Luckily the lad in the parts department knew said customer and said he'd be alright waiting a bit longer for his.
They swapped the stands over for me while I waited.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thought about it a bit and maybe the easiest solution to use the AT center stand for the ATAS would be making a piece of plywood with strips of anti slip tape on the bottom to lift the ATAS high enough to service the chain and rear wheel.

Jon

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called them and they discovered that I had a model for a 2017 base model that didn't match either of the two listed part numbers for my bike and that they would swap it, but I would have to pay more for the ATAS version and they will remove and reinstall it for 200 dollars. I was not able to convince them to do it on their dime as it is the most recent in a series of mistakes that have led to many, many hours spent after purchase to get the bike to where it should have been off the showroom floor.

I wonder if a lowering link would actually make this shorter center stand a better fit. I remember my lowered Vstrom wouldnt work unless you shortened the center stand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I called them and they discovered that I had a model for a 2017 base model that didn't match either of the two listed part numbers for my bike and that they would swap it, but I would have to pay more for the ATAS version and they will remove and reinstall it for 200 dollars. I was not able to convince them to do it on their dime as it is the most recent in a series of mistakes that have led to many, many hours spent after purchase to get the bike to where it should have been off the showroom floor.

I wonder if a lowering link would actually make this shorter center stand a better fit. I remember my lowered Vstrom wouldnt work unless you shortened the center stand.
I don't know anything about a lowering link although what you said makes sense. If it could help you I would suggest the following: Get a refund on the short OEM stand buy the SW Motech stand bring your bike and the stand to my place and I'll install it for free in about 20 minutes.

Reactions: Mudslingr

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dan, I may actually consider that option.

Jim, does that mean I could skip the center stand mods since the center stand is already an inch and a half shorter?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jim, does that mean I could skip the center stand mods since the center stand is already an inch and a half shorter?
I would say so. If you fit a lowering link to a standard AT, you have to shorten the centre stand by cutting about an inch out of it and using the tubes to join and weld the feet back on.

If you don't shorten it, it makes it much harder to pull the bike up onto the centre stand. You may have noticed the ATAS was reasonably easy to hoist on the short stand (even if the wheels were still touching :) ).

So I would guess if you lower linked the ATAS, you could use a standard AT centre stand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’m sorry, but if you need lowering links why would you buy the higher suspension AS model? That’s the most significant feature that you are spending the extra money on (ground clearance and longer travel) over the standard one. Yeah you get a bigger tank, too, but the suspension is what you paid so much more for.

I’d have liked to get the AS suspension but opted for a 2017 leftover ABS for financial reasons.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I’m sorry, but if you need lowering links why would you buy the higher suspension AS model? That’s the most significant feature that you are spending the extra money on (ground clearance and longer travel) over the standard one. Yeah you get a bigger tank, too, but the suspension is what you paid so much more for.

I’d have liked to get the AS suspension but opted for a 2017 leftover ABS for financial reasons.
Because I like it more. Better sounding exhaust, better seat, better windscreen, better looking, LED everything, longer range, better rear rack, better dash, heated grips, accessory outlet and amazing risers that put the handlebars exactly where I want them... and even if I do not utilize all of the travel, it is still a better suspension with better tires and better looking wheels. All for 1600 more. It should have come with a center stand though. The lack of is remarkably stupid for this class.

The base model doesn't make any sense and I can cope with the height. I would just prefer it shorter for shitty conditions and city traffic and if I already have a shorter center stand, well, it starts to make a lot more sense to me.

The height has grown on me, though. I will probably strip the stand and swap it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree, if the difference in price were only $1600 I may have sprung for the AS as well. I was not aware of the other differences you cited.

What I found here in the northeast US was that the Adventures are going for full price around here, about $15k for the manual shift version that I’d want. I got my 2017 ABS leftover for $10,900, so it was $4100 difference.

Also, AFAIK, the base model (non-ABS) was never available in the US. It was either the ABS or the DCT.

As for centerstand, I’m still waiting on mine from the dealer. Should give em a call today and see what the heck is taking them so long. I’m pretty sure they are back in stock by now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Swung by the dealer and he had my centerstand, just hadn’t bothered to call me. (Really?).

Installed it this afternoon. It was a challenge getting the two non-concentric springs on, but I managed to do it eventually with just some big screwdrivers.

I was surprised at how high the rear wheel is when up on the stand, but that will make changing rear tires even easier. And make it more likely I can lube a chain when on soft ground. It’s a little tough to get up on the stand, but won’t be bad with riding boots on, like right after a ride.

Overall, I’m happy with the stock stand. Just wish it was cheaper or included with the stock bike. I mean: who wouldn’t want a centerstand on a 500 lb bike with a chain?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts