Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my AT a few weeks ago and like most people here, I'm ordering a few bolt ons for my new ride. One of my must haves is the center stand so after some research I decided to get the OEM stand since it appeared to be the best based on the reviews I've read. I contacted my dealer and placed my order, when he tried to enter it into the computer, it came up as discontinued. When he called Honda to find out why, they told him production was discontinued on the AT center stand at this time because of issues with the design, and a new version will be coming out but they didn't say when. Has anyone else heard this? Appears my only option is SW Motech. I did find a couple on Amazon.ca by the name of Alpha Rider and MotoParty. Anyone heard of these?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered my SWM center stand today! Too bad about the OEM one though. Seems like everyone that has it is very happy. Not sure why they discontinued it, but I'm sure it won't take long to get the new and improved center stand out to the dealers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I ordered my SWM center stand today! Too bad about the OEM one though. Seems like everyone that has it is very happy. Not sure why they discontinued it, but I'm sure it won't take long to get the new and improved center stand out to the dealers.
I have the OEM and love it. I also wonder what the problem was because as of now my mine is fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only "problem" I can think of with the center stand is that, despite the rubber stopper it has, it makes some noise bouncing when the ride gets rough. But otherwise it is excellent. The SW Motech is very good too, a friend has it on his bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The oem stand in unavailable until Honda have sorted the issue with a dodgy circlip. The problem only occurs when the centre stand is being fitted, not during use.
Mine is okay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The OEM centre stand was supplied as standard equipment with my 2018 AT. I assume it was fitted at the factory....

·
Registered
155 Posts
The oem stand in unavailable until Honda have sorted the issue with a dodgy circlip. The problem only occurs when the centre stand is being fitted, not during use.
Mine is okay.
So mine has been on for 2 years and 13500 miles so I assume Im ok?
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have not noticed functional issues, but my genuine main stand got rusted quite bit. Bike is less than 1 year and 3k miles old.

Honestly, now I think that legendary Honda build quality is a pure myth. My wheels (spokes) corroded, main stand rusted, fasteners here and there also rusted. There are some spot of rusts on the bottom of the frame. One of my mirror got layers split. And it's not like I have got **** of riding of the thing (as I am limited on the free time) and bike is kept in a garage. All is cosmetic issues granted, but these highlight to me Honda is skimming on quality to bring profits up as many other manufactures do. Choosing Honda because of "the general brand products quality" is not going to be the case for me next time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Picked up my AT a few weeks ago and like most people here, I'm ordering a few bolt ons for my new ride. One of my must haves is the center stand so after some research I decided to get the OEM stand since it appeared to be the best based on the reviews I've read. I contacted my dealer and placed my order, when he tried to enter it into the computer, it came up as discontinued. When he called Honda to find out why, they told him production was discontinued on the AT center stand at this time because of issues with the design, and a new version will be coming out but they didn't say when. Has anyone else heard this? Appears my only option is SW Motech. I did find a couple on Amazon.ca by the name of Alpha Rider and MotoParty. Anyone heard of these?
Just asked about that here in AU and you can still order and have them supplied, in fact they have stock on hand but bikes in AU other than the base model all come with the Honda center stand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered an OEM centre stand about 2 weeks ago for my 2017 AT.....was told it would be @ the store in about 5 days....wrong...Was told it was back-ordered until sep 30!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was told they were discontinued when I bought my new 17 model 3 weeks ago,there are plenty of new original equipment one's on ebay in honda dealers,bought mine arrived 2 days later 30 mins after courier gave me it,it was fitted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
With the OEM centerstand to many people were putting the clip on backwards. I watched the Woodzman video on the installation and he points out the correct orientation. It was also in the instructions. I don't think some people paid attention to the detail drawing in the instructions ... or maybe were too focused on the spring installation? Anyway, I have used SW Motech centerstands (on a KLR) and I think they are a good alternative but I got the OEM stand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the OEM centerstand to many people were putting the clip on backwards. I watched the Woodzman video on the installation and he points out the correct orientation. It was also in the instructions. I don't think some people paid attention to the detail drawing in the instructions ... or maybe were too focused on the spring installation? Anyway, I have used SW Motech centerstands (on a KLR) and I think they are a good alternative but I got the OEM stand.
Honda Canada has issued an official recall for the ATAS centre stand : google after "honda recall" 2018412

One can check against the motorcycle VIN on Honda Canada website : google after "honda motorcycle canada" recall

(sorry I cannot post links since my post counter is = 0)
(I live in France, where there is no official recall for the time being...)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have one on order for my ATAS, and was told that Honda are withholding the centre-stands worldwide due to a circlip breaking!! My dealer has no idea when they will be available.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I checked my VIN with the Honda site and my bike is subject to recall. The dealer is ordering the repair kit and says it will take about 1/2 hr to fix.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts