Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If like me, you think it’s essential to fit a centre/main stand, get someone else to do it for you.
just fitted an OEM stand to mine. Take the springs out the equation, piece of p*55. Springs are a bugger. I’m 6’2, 16 stone, not small, strong(ish). Nightmare. Think I’ve snapped my back in half. ?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,007 Posts
If like me, you think it’s essential to fit a centre/main stand, get someone else to do it for you.
just fitted an OEM stand to mine. Take the springs out the equation, piece of p*55. Springs are a bugger. I’m 6’2, 16 stone, not small, strong(ish). Nightmare. Think I’ve snapped my back in half. ?

Springs are EASY..
one long stick, a wire coat hanger, pliers and about 30sec to do it.

Cut the hanger straighten it out, put a really sharp hook on one end.
Put a broom handle or sturdy wood stick through your rear rear tire leave the stick at an angle towards the front of the bike. measure out enough hanger to be able to push or pull the stick back enough to hook the spring. Wrap the straight end around the stick a 6 or so inches off where the stick will contact the rim do not wrap it tightly around just secure it so it won’t pull off. Pull the stick out and Grab the spring with the hook end of the hanger put the short end of the stick back through your rim and pry back. The longer the stick the more leverage and easier it will be, you can move the hanger in or out to better align the spring with where it hooks. Also once you have the spring pried back far enough to hook it you can use you leg or hip to hold the stick in that position and use both hands to move the spring over to hook it.

Sorry Davey kinda after the fact for you..

BTW that stick and a few zip ties can make putting your rear tire on super easy...

Tie the zip ties in loops off your back rack on each side low enough to be close top of the inside top of the rim, but make the backside (brake side) shorter. put the tire in place and run the stick through the zip tie loop, then rim, then zip tie loop. Pry up on the sprocket side till the wheel is alighted with the height of the hole and if the back side is already short enough all you will have ro do is pull the zip ties tighter on the side you are prying on. Much easier to put the axle/bolt back in and align things with the wheel hanging in place..
Works best If you leave the wheel hanging a bit low, you can use your shoulder to pry it up a nudge to put the axle in... Also this will work with a branch as your stick, on the side of the trail

Reactions: daveywww

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
It does seem that way for most blokes.

However, it does come down to finessing some mechanical advantage, as AT-D (above) so eloquently summarizes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Springs are EASY..

Put a broom handle or sturdy wood stick through your rear rear tire leave the stick at an angle towards the front of the bike. measure out enough hanger to be able to push or pull the stick back enough to hook the spring. Wrap the straight end around the stick a 6 or so inches off where the stick will contact the rim do not wrap it tightly around just secure it so it won’t pull off. Pull the stick out and Grab the spring with the hook end of the hanger put the short end of the stick back through your rim and pry back. The longer the stick the more leverage and easier it will be, you can move the hanger in or out to better align the spring with where it hooks. Also once you have the spring pried back far enough to hook it you can use you leg or hip to hold the stick in that position and use both hands to move the spring over to hook it.

I’ll know for next time. Cheers ?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Yea works pretty good for taking it off too.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
601 Posts
Springs are EASY..

Got a picture or two Dragon? Worth a thousand words as some wit once pointed out. I'll admit I got a brain cramp trying to imagine my way through your post. But I'm only on my first cup of coffee so my powers are under a cloud.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Another easy way to pull the springs on is to use a ratchet strap and a spring hook. Wrap the strap around the rear wheel and attach the ratchet strap to the spring hook. Hook onto the spring and simply ratchet the springs right onto the spring post. Easy as pie!

·
Administrator
3,331 Posts
Springs are EASY..

BTW that stick and a few zip ties can make putting your rear tire on super easy...

Tie the zip ties in loops off your back rack on each side low enough to be close top of the inside top of the rim, but make the backside (brake side) shorter. put the tire in place and run the stick through the zip tie loop, then rim, then zip tie loop. Pry up on the sprocket side till the wheel is alighted with the height of the hole and if the back side is already short enough all you will have ro do is pull the zip ties tighter on the side you are prying on. Much easier to put the axle/bolt back in and align things with the wheel hanging in place..
Works best If you leave the wheel hanging a bit low, you can use your shoulder to pry it up a nudge to put the axle in... Also this will work with a branch as your stick, on the side of the trail
Will the hook end of a hanger pull the OEM spring? No way it would pull the Outback Motortek one. That was a bear. I was using pretty heavy duty spring pulled to pull mine and still have to create a fulcrum to lever it over and still thought I might bend the puller.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
A spring puller works great for exhaust pipes, center and kick stands....here's a less expensive version Exhaust Spring Puller 6" 2 Stroke Motorcycle Dirt Bike T Handle Hook Tool | eBay

I have one like this.....https://www.amazon.com/P1-TOOLS-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Installer/dp/B07MM5PLXZ

[/URL]

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Got a picture or two Dragon? Worth a thousand words as some wit once pointed out. I'll admit I got a brain cramp trying to imagine my way through your post. But I'm only on my first cup of coffee so my powers are under a cloud.
yea I could whip up something again to show.

Will the hook end of a hanger pull the OEM spring? No way it would pull the Outback Motortek one. That was a bear. I was using pretty heavy duty spring pulled to pull mine and still have to create a fulcrum to lever it over and still thought I might bend the puller.

Yep just have to put a really sharp bend in it > now getting the little bugger unhooked and from under the spring is fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
There's 2 center stands listed on Honda accessory page, what's the difference, other than 9 bucks?

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
There's 2 center stands listed on Honda accessory page, what's the difference, other than 9 bucks?
I don't have the answer, however, I instead went with the SW-MOTECH center stand. It operates beautifully and I use it all the time without fuss.

·
Administrator
3,331 Posts
I didn't see a page with 2. Which model/year were you looking at? My guess is the more expensive one has the "deluxe spring upgrade." It is the same as the standard spring except it costs $9 more.

Or maybe they are charging $9 more for the model that has the new and improved circlip post recall?

I went with the Outback Motorteck center stand on mine :)

·
Registered
2017 DCT
337 Posts
I didn't see a page with 2. Which model/year were you looking at? My guess is the more expensive one has the "deluxe spring upgrade." It is the same as the standard spring except it costs $9 more.

Or maybe they are charging $9 more for the model that has the new and improved circlip post recall?

I went with the Outback Motorteck center stand on mine :)
Possibly different lengths for ATAS vs. Regular?

·
Administrator
3,331 Posts
Possibly different lengths for ATAS vs. Regular?
Could be. I was looking at the ATAS specifically, and it only shows one. Which would make sense. The regular AT has its own page. That's why I was curious which model page he was looking at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts