Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought an AT which has the OEM crash bars fitted along with the OEM fog lights.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the OEM bars aren't very good, is this actually the case?

I'm planning on trying some off-road riding, nothing too hardcore, and wanted to know if I need some better bars for the expected tumbles?

If the OEM bars are worth keeping, is it worth adding lower bars as well?

If I change the OEM bars, do the OEM fog lights fit well on other manufaturers bars?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have crashed my bike three times now and my OEM bars and guards did their job. I do not have a lower cage. The bike has no marred paint whatsoever. They are very good.

I don't know anything about the fog lamps.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like the OEM uppers just fine. I like the way they look. Yes, they are mounted with rubber grommets and the upper mounting beams aren’t terribly stout, so they have some give. They are not nearly as strong as a serious set of aftermarket upper crash bars—but then, many of the upper crash bars I've seen change the look of the bike... sort of "Mad Max" it out. Not my thing.

But it does depend on what sort of riding you plan.

***However, there is a recent post with a link to a video of some older bad-ass in Australia going full boogie on the dirt with his stock AT; and when I say stock, I mean not even the OEM uppers, nothing at all for protection but a bash plate and handguards. And the bike goes down left, right and center, but he just keeps riding.

For me, personally, I wouldn't want to go off-road without lower crash bars. I want the vitals protected.

And with my Hepco & Becker lowers in combo with the OEM uppers *with a decent set of bar bags on them for cushioning any slide or fall* and with my seriously robust Hepco & Becker handlebar protection, I'm in solid shape for most falls I might take. But then, I don't plan to go nuts on the dirt...

I love the idea that I can go just about anywhere on my ATAS. But don’t feel the need to do it hard or fast while off-road. (For the most part). And I’m 57 years old—I’m worried as much about my muscles and bones as the bike’s parts.

I once thought the OEM uppers might be a sort of one-and-done deal. But I took a couple dives my last time out on dirt and one was a hard, long slide. The OEM uppers appeared to have given some and the inside of the bar bag looks like it rubbed a bit against the fairing, but other than scratches on my lowers, handguard and bar bag, the bike was none the worse for the wear—not a scratch on the tank or anywhere else. (Although I did have the inevitable tear/ scuffing of the shifter knob). And more importantly, the uppers seem as sturdy after as they were before—i.e., there is still some give if you push hard on them, but they weren’t bent out of shape or loosened in any way.

In summary, I think the OEM uppers get more flak than they deserve. In combo with other critical protection, they can work just fine. And with a good set of bar bags to help cushion the fall, they work even better.

Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it looks like I should be ok with the OEM bars then.
I'll take a look at some lower bars as well, the Hepco & Becker ones are only £150 or so and will probably pay for themselves if I come off!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2017 came with aftermarket Happy Trails crash bars...I think called a Nerf Bar. I took that off and bought a HEED bunker system that is fantastic...and looks great on the bike. Very good price, made in Poland, and I got it two weeks after ordering...so far so good!

·
Registered
111 Posts
OEM bars probably good enough

I've just bought an AT which has the OEM crash bars fitted along with the OEM fog lights.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the OEM bars aren't very good, is this actually the case?
When I went on the Honda Adventure School two-day off-road course in the UK, the bikes all had OEM crash bars, and those bikes got dropped, and crashed, a lot. The bars do give a bit, but the instructors said they preferred it that way so that the bars took damage instead of the frame. I think you'll be fine unless you're headed for some really gnarly terrain. Not the best-looking items, mind you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the OEM uppers just fine. I like the way they look. Yes, they are mounted with rubber grommets and the upper mounting beams aren’t terribly stout, so they have some give. They are not nearly as strong as a serious set of aftermarket upper crash bars—but then, many of the upper crash bars I've seen change the look of the bike... sort of "Mad Max" it out. Not my thing.

But it does depend on what sort of riding you plan.

***However, there is a recent post with a link to a video of some older bad-ass in Australia going full boogie on the dirt with his stock AT; and when I say stock, I mean not even the OEM uppers, nothing at all for protection but a bash plate and handguards. And the bike goes down left, right and center, but he just keeps riding.

For me, personally, I wouldn't want to go off-road without lower crash bars. I want the vitals protected.

And with my Hepco & Becker lowers in combo with the OEM uppers *with a decent set of bar bags on them for cushioning any slide or fall* and with my seriously robust Hepco & Becker handlebar protection, I'm in solid shape for most falls I might take. But then, I don't plan to go nuts on the dirt...

I love the idea that I can go just about anywhere on my ATAS. But don’t feel the need to do it hard or fast while off-road. (For the most part). And I’m 57 years old—I’m worried as much about my muscles and bones as the bike’s parts.

I once thought the OEM uppers might be a sort of one-and-done deal. But I took a couple dives my last time out on dirt and one was a hard, long slide. The OEM uppers appeared to have given some and the inside of the bar bag looks like it rubbed a bit against the fairing, but other than scratches on my lowers, handguard and bar bag, the bike was none the worse for the wear—not a scratch on the tank or anywhere else. (Although I did have the inevitable tear/ scuffing of the shifter knob). And more importantly, the uppers seem as sturdy after as they were before—i.e., there is still some give if you push hard on them, but they weren’t bent out of shape or loosened in any way.

In summary, I think the OEM uppers get more flak than they deserve. In combo with other critical protection, they can work just fine. And with a good set of bar bags to help cushion the fall, they work even better.

Gary

Gary, did you have to modify anything to get your Hepco lowers to fit with the OEM uppers?
My lowers have just arrived and it doesn't look like they'll go on with the OEM uppers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 came with aftermarket Happy Trails crash bars...I think called a Nerf Bar. I took that off and bought a HEED bunker system that is fantastic...and looks great on the bike. Very good price, made in Poland, and I got it two weeks after ordering...so far so good!
Hi. Would you mind posting some pictures of how the bike looks with the HEED bars?

Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got the Hepco & Becker lower bars ordered so they should cover me for the inevitable slow speed spills!
My buddy is looking at those bars for his incoming AT. We'll finish the parts installation from napa and 4Wheelonline on his truck and he'll pick it up. He's looking for more options for crash bars.

·
Registered
415 Posts

I'm planning on trying some off-road riding, nothing too hardcore, and wanted to know if I need some better bars for the expected tumbles?

If the OEM bars are worth keeping, is it worth adding lower bars as well?

If I change the OEM bars, do the OEM fog lights fit well on other manufaturers bars?
The OEM bars work better than a lot of the aftermarket ones, mount spare tubes to the bars to give it an even softer landing. A bash plate provides better and lighter protection for the bike than lower bars in most crashes I have seen.

·
Super Moderator
6,741 Posts
That is one knarly-lookin' snap - mean and dark. Just completed an oil change? (mat placed below the oil filter)

·
Registered
415 Posts
That is one knarly-lookin' snap - mean and dark. Just completed an oil change? (mat placed below the oil filter)
Not sure what I was doing at that stage I normally use that tray to throw things into when disassembling bits. I have to give the bash plate a refresh with the oil change as it does a bit of work as well.
Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll take a look at some lower bars as well, the Hepco & Becker ones are only £150 or so and will probably pay for themselves if I come off!

I've got the Hepco-Becker engine guard and their handlebar guards and their bow brace. I have had the misfortune of verifying the products 3 times ! Once at 40 mph , (too fast into gravel curve)
The bike is undamaged.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure what the go was but i bought brand new oem bars off ebay for a $100 + $50 delivery. Ruffed up the silver and painted black. Hopefully there strong enough for a carpark tip over is all I want.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts

Did you get yours h&b lowers fitted with the oem? If you did, can you send me some pics, I just bought one, and I can't mount them.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts