Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... When I bought my AT four months ago, I had the dealer replace the original tires after reading really bad stuff about them in several forums. I had Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 fitted instead. They were just great but I had to put new tires on for the long trip I'm doing these weeks (Spain and France- in the Pyréennees right now). Since I still had the OEM Dunlop's and hadn't managed to sell them, I decided to give them a try... Bad mistake!! These things suck big time! The bike is loaded the same way as it normally was with the Pirelli's (about 35-40 kilograms luggage) plus my sorry 84 kilos ass. The front would wobble like ****, especially at roundabouts or making sharp turns going down mountain passes. Also, if I let my hands off the handlebar, the front wheel starts to begin to tankslap, and this has never happened! Today I started fiddling with preload settings on both front and rear suspension and found an "acceptable" setting where things are a bit better. But it's no way near the great feeling I had with the Pirelli's (I've never touched the suspension settings before today).
How can Honda fit those things OEM? Has anyone else had these issues?
Bummer!

·
Registered
212 Posts
No problems, here. I have since replaced my OEM's with different tires but I wore the originals out both on and off road without a problem with handling. The only problem I had was sticker shock when I priced OEM replacements.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello....
No problems with my OEM's got 12k miles on them and right now I am on my second set.
No shakes whatsoever from the front
Did you balance them correctly? And that is alot of extra weight ... I thought it was 30lbs total for the 3 racks....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dunlop "ditchfinders" were ok in the dry but show them a bit of water and the rear would slide at the faintest whiff of the throttle, also the front felt very skittish. So not filling me with confidence. I did up the preloads a tad.

The front wore out at just over 5K miles and I estimated the rear had about 1K left.

Hats off to you guys who get 10K out of a pair.

I replaced them with a pair of Scorpion trail 2's. I now have a different bike in both dry and wet.

Only done 600 miles on the new rubber so far so no idea yet on how long they will last.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have just changed mine for TA2's and wet weather is better although I didn't mind the OEM's too much, especially in the dry, wet I knew they had a limit. Your loading is not excessive and you should get perfectly acceptable handling at the correct pressures and SAG settings. Maybe that is your problem "fiddling with preload settings ", don't fiddle, understand preload and SAG and set your preload front/back accordingly, it takes 20-30 mins tops.

Reactions: cehanska

·
Registered
114 Posts
Late to comment but so far my '17 AT has exhibited no handling issues at all even at 100mph+ with the stock tires. But my Kaw KLR650 is sensitive to wheel alignment and exhibits what the OP described if the wheels aren't perfectly in line.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have just changed mine for TA2's and wet weather is better although I didn't mind the OEM's too much, especially in the dry, wet I knew they had a limit. Your loading is not excessive and you should get perfectly acceptable handling at the correct pressures and SAG settings. Maybe that is your problem "fiddling with preload settings ", don't fiddle, understand preload and SAG and set your preload front/back accordingly, it takes 20-30 mins tops.
Back's going to be easy with that load and 84kilo rider - simply wind the preload to maximum. Actually that's a bit of an exageration as I wasn't far off that weight on my recent trip around Norway and mine was fine with 6 clicks back off max.
Must admit I didn't re-measure the sag, as it's not easy with panniers fitted (and you are on your own)

I too have changed the OEM's for TA2's. Did it at 8k miles as it was convenient to have them changed while wheels were being swapped for new ones at the service. Don't think I would have got another 2k miles out of them. My feelings (entirely subjective of course). The front slipped away slightly on 2 maybe 3 occasions in those 8k miles, but recovered itself easily. Can't remember the back stepping out ever (but see my post about torque control today). I often checked for handlebar steadiness and there was never a waggle. The bike does give a disconcerting waggle when crossing white lines but since it does exactly the same on the TA2's I think it must be something to do with the bike geometry. TA2's were dreadful in the first 150 miles and I thought I'd made a big mistake (ride seemed very hard and the bike was slip sliding and seemed very slow to turn in). They seem fine now but maybe I have just got used to the different characteristics. I've ridden both sets in very wet conditions but only on big roads with no particular sever demands placed on the tyres.
Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK... When I bought my AT four months ago, I had the dealer replace the original tires after reading really bad stuff about them in several forums. I had Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 fitted instead. They were just great but I had to put new tires on for the long trip I'm doing these weeks (Spain and France- in the Pyréennees right now). Since I still had the OEM Dunlop's and hadn't managed to sell them, I decided to give them a try... Bad mistake!! These things suck big time! The bike is loaded the same way as it normally was with the Pirelli's (about 35-40 kilograms luggage) plus my sorry 84 kilos ass. The front would wobble like ****, especially at roundabouts or making sharp turns going down mountain passes. Also, if I let my hands off the handlebar, the front wheel starts to begin to tankslap, and this has never happened! Today I started fiddling with preload settings on both front and rear suspension and found an "acceptable" setting where things are a bit better. But it's no way near the great feeling I had with the Pirelli's (I've never touched the suspension settings before today).
Bummer!

I’ve experienced the bar oscillation / wobbly handling issue that you describe - exactly the same. I assumed it was caused by suspension settings but had to put up with it through a 3000 mile trip around Europe as I don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to suspension adjustment (I did jack the rear preload up to max - no improvement). I never considered the OEM tyres to be the cause.

That said, I really dislike the OEM Dunlop’s. The front has slipped out a couple of times on wet roundabouts and the rear has lost traction during overtakes twice too (in the wet).

Bizarrely, luggage really kills the handling (bar oscillation and vague front end) but having a pillion makes no difference. Very strange.

Think I’m going to change to Conti TKC70,s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only wobbling I have experienced was when I had the top box, and my tyre pressure in front was low... I noticed that it is really sensitive when the tyre pressure is low... As far as the top box goes ....I don't use it any more ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Other possible option is that your front wheel might be a bit out of alignment, I mean axially, easy to check. Just lift the front wheel of the ground and rotate it.
I had similar problem on my previous bike. Around 80 km/h it would develop pretty bad shake on the handlebars, wheel alignment seemed to be OK. What fixed it was turning the tire about 90 deg on the wheel. That silly and easy...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bummer!
You cannot necessarily blame the tires when you were riding the bike dead soft on the road. Pirellis may be a lot stiffer than the OEMs. Standard settings are suitable for serious off road riding with no luggage. They make the bike feel like a bucking bronco when you push it on road. Turn every suspension setting to 70% of full hard and you should be just about right but if you want my honest opinion, I also think your front and/or rear tire is unbalanced. You might also consider the possibility of a bad tire.
You should also run every adjuster to the max and then click it back down. My bike was delivered with a substantial difference in preload settings on the fork. Don't ever assume the dealer did the setup right! Presumably you had a shop mount and balance the tires? If not, you need to, or learn to do it yourself! Either way, the tire balance needs to be checked. These are not the symptoms of suspension too soft!
FYI, I weigh 114 kg so pretty close to your total load.

Here's a link to me riding fast on OEM tires with all suspension settings to about 70% of maximum:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I heard all the bad vibes too so done a deal with honda.they took the oem,s and gave me the Trail attach 2,s for half price.great tyres in the wet.touch wood.how many miles or kilometres did you get out of your trail art 2,s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts