Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any success in modifying the OEM exhaust to get a bit more grunt or noise out of it? (ATAS 2019). I saw some great USA you tubes on spark arrester mods, but this for was 2017 model, and you cant do this so easy on the 2018 + models as they are welded.

Thanks ! >:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes.
I opened up my exhaust a little bit with a pointed steel rod. It sounds a bit primitive and it is but it works.
I had a 13mm(1/2inch) bar. Slid it down the larger exhaust outlet until it hit metal.
Made sure it wasn't going through to the other side. Then I hit it with a big hammer.

It took a few blows but it went through the steel eventually.
The sound got a little deeper and if anything I would say it goes a bit better.

There is no external difference to the exhaust. In my opinion a worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good to hear thanks, ok feel a l little more confident giving it a go. Obviously don't want to knacker it but would like to open up the flows if i can a bit - wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,474 Posts
My 18 ATAS wasn’t welded (well here in the U.S.) unbolted them and ran with them completely off, sounds mean as **** and shuts up my Harley friends. But had to put them back on, seems on 50+ minutes rides at around 60-70mph doesn’t fair well on that plastic end cone. While I did melt it a bit at least the damage was confined to the inside. I did cut the internal pipes flush and re-weld them, they are not much louder than stock, I’m pretty sure it mostly because of the bends and also a little bit because of the size. Was thinking of getting some straight pipe and making new end pipes by cutting the (new re-welded) stock pipes off and putting straight pieces in their place. But not sure if it worth all that effort... might just end up getting me a Remus instead...

Reactions: Big Bear

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
When I just a lad, SOP was 2 5/8 holes. 'ReadyRod' sharpened to a point. Just don't hit the side! First mod to Tiger exhaust. Compliments from other riders. Not too raspy for an Retarded er... Retired
Rider. Been around noise far too long!.

AT-Dragon I'd like to bounce ideas around next time you head South :)

·
Super Moderator
2,474 Posts
AT-Dragon I'd like to bounce ideas around next time you head South :)
I’ll be sure to let you know... better to have idea’s bouncing around in my noggen then those loose marbles that are there now. :grin2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
l did this mod. l have a 2018 ATAS w/ the bolt on spark arresters. l unbolted them and cut the spark arresters off. lt sounds perfect! There was a guy who did this and claimed he lost torque and welded them back on. l never noticed a loss. l was at a rally in Oregon and had a guy park right next to me with the same bike, but stock. The deep throaty sound is noticeable when started side by side and l don't find it offensive at all! No one does when they hear it, actually. l just get, "That thing sounds good.".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cut my spark arrestors maybe at 1" inside the can. I ended up pulling the slip on off and with a 16" paddle bit you can severely open up the cat converter if you desire. Not saying I did it ? but I know a guy that knows a guy. If I had an extension for my hole saw I'd go in through the spark arrestor opening with something about 1" and open a path through some of the chambers.

·
Super Moderator
2,474 Posts
I cut my spark arrestors maybe at 1" inside the can. I ended up pulling the slip on off and with a 16" paddle bit you can severely open up the cat converter if you desire. Not saying I did it ? but I know a guy that knows a guy. If I had an extension for my hole saw I'd go in through the spark arrestor opening with something about 1" and open a path through some of the chambers.
Yea one could do ALL that, but at some point you gotta wonder if it’s really worth it and just get an aftermarket can. Get the sound you want and a bit more HP while shedding a tiny bit of weight...

·
Registered
CRF1000A2
8 Posts
2019 ATAS, I tried a few variations, both baffles out, one in one plugged, long one chopped, and finally settled on the shortened with spark arrestor reattached. Wide open sounded like loud garbage, and stock good, but a bit too tame. Shortened I think it is perfect, just a little more grumble, and only a small raw loudness increase, but the tone is righteous! Excuse my blob spot weld technique, its good enough for a part you will never see again :D Definitely recommend if you are in the market for an aftermarket sound, may as well try the free option first! Just wish the stock system wasn't so darn heavy.

20210222_080224[1].jpg 20210222_091043[1].jpg 20210222_102542[1].jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts