Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
A question for those that used the OEM switch: How did you attach the fog light relay trigger wire to the back of the OEM switch? I see from the diagrams which wire the 12v will come in on, but I'm trying to figure out the physical format of the outbound side.

Maybe this will all make a ton of sense when I get the thing in my hands. For now, I'm trying to figure out all the pieces to order so that I can do all of the electrical stuff in one sitting: heated grips, power socket and fog light switch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
As far as I can see, the OEM switch has two wires, a blue and a red. I was expecting three, an input, an output, and a ground.
What am I not understanding about this. (by the way, I am thinking of re-using some lights off my previous bike, so not the Honda kit.

I bought the switch from Rugged Roads and it's on the way now. I'm thinking of adding the Denali D4 lights to mine. I'm glad to hear that the dash light works with a bit of tweaking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As far as I can see, the OEM switch has two wires, a blue and a red. I was expecting three, an input, an output, and a ground.
What am I not understanding about this.

Maxply - The OEM switch connects in-line to the live side of the light power supply line. The switch then either completes the circuit when on, or disrupts the circuit when off. So, connect one switch wire to the power supply line for your lights and the other to the wire that runs power out to your lights.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, thank you, that explains it perfectly.

Maxply - The OEM switch connects in-line to the live side of the light power supply line. The switch then either completes the circuit when on, or disrupts the circuit when off. So, connect one switch wire to the power supply line for your lights and the other to the wire that runs power out to your lights.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does anyone know if the OEM 12V socket on the ATAS is connected to the front accessories connector?

I have purchased the OEM Fog Lights switch and before I remove the panels to do the installation I would like to prepare the harness. I will use the connector to feed the FOG lights (through the OEM switch), a Tire Pressure monitor and a GPS. The harness is quite easy but need to know if the connector is already occupied by the 12V socket so I get prepared.

By the way, I have seen on earlier posts in this thread that some people wondered if the OEM switch comes also to illuminated version. Well, the one I received is not illuminated but it is very easy to convert it. The switch membrane is actually semitransparent and there is more that enough space to install a LED, so when the switch is pressed ON, it will be illuminated as well; you can even wire it so that it will be permanently illuminated.

Just wire the anode of the LED to the feed to the Switch and the cathode to (-) of the connector. Unless you use a 12V LED use the appropriate resistor in line, either to the cathode or the anode of the LED. With this wiring the switch will be illuminated at all times.

Wire the Anode to the wire exiting the switch and it will illuminate only with the switch pressed ON.

:smile2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone know if the OEM 12V socket on the ATAS is connected to the front accessories connector?

I have purchased the OEM Fog Lights switch and before I remove the panels to do the installation I would like to prepare the harness. I will use the connector to feed the FOG lights (through the OEM switch), a Tire Pressure monitor and a GPS. The harness is quite easy but need to know if the connector is already occupied by the 12V socket so I get prepared.

By the way, I have seen on earlier posts in this thread that some people wondered if the OEM switch comes also to illuminated version. Well, the one I received is not illuminated but it is very easy to convert it. The switch membrane is actually semitransparent and there is more that enough space to install a LED, so when the switch is pressed ON, it will be illuminated as well; you can even wire it so that it will be permanently illuminated.

Just wire the anode of the LED to the feed to the Switch and the cathode to (-) of the connector. Unless you use a 12V LED use the appropriate resistor in line, either to the cathode or the anode of the LED. With this wiring the switch will be illuminated at all times.

Wire the Anode to the wire exiting the switch and it will illuminate only with the switch pressed ON.

:smile2:
No - the 12v Accessory socket for the 2018 ATAS is connected to its own dedicated plug behind the left hand front panel - so this leaves your front 4 way option plug free for whatever you want :grin2:

The fog light switch for the CRF1000 is not illuminated as when switched it illuminates the symbol in your instrument panel.

·
Registered
326 Posts
No - the 12v Accessory socket for the 2018 ATAS is connected to its own dedicated plug behind the left hand front panel - so this leaves your front 4 way option plug free for whatever you want :grin2:

The fog light switch for the CRF1000 is not illuminated as when switched it illuminates the symbol in your instrument panel.
Thanks Jonathan! :smile2:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts