Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

OEM heated grips and fog light switch

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  CRracer712 
#1 ·
At some point I'll probably add heated grips and fog lights to my 2019 Africa Twin. Got a couple questions.

OEM grips show the grip kit, and attachment kit, and on Honda accessory site it also shows another parts number, but the names says 'heated grips with attachment kit', but it's only 79.95, so I'm guessing the name is wrong.

Heated grips #08T71-MKK-D01, 207.95
Heated grips attachment kit #08T71-MJP-G51 19.95

Then there's heated grips with attachment kit #08T72-MKK-D00 79.95 (description says 'required for installation of heated grips)

I'm confused as to what I actually need.

As for fog lights. I'm curious why the OEM switch isn't listed in the US? If I buy the switch, what else do I need? Do I just pick out whatever fog light set I want? I see people mention the factory splitter cable, what's this for?

It's my understanding the fog light switch already has a receiving connector waiting on the bike behind the headlights. Does using an OEM switch activate the fog lamp indicator on the 2019 instrument panel, like it does on the 16/17? I see the fog light indicator on the right hand side of the panel below the high beam indicator, but I've never actually saw a picture of it lit up on this year of bike. The manual doesn't even acknowledge it.

Any info would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a spare Honda OEM light switch. I ordered a pair of them from Rugged Roads. One for my wife's 2017 and one for my 2016 AT. I ended up selling the 2016 and going to a 2019 ATAS and a different direction on the lights, so I never used it mine. I did take it out of the packaging, but it is otherwise uninstalled. If you want it, drop me a PM with your address and I will mail it out. The switch should be the same.

My wife went with Ridgid lights on hers. We did not do the wiring ourselves, instead, we had a local shop do it. I believe it was a bit of a pain getting the switch in and getting it wired, partly because of the disassembly they had to do to mount the switch and partly because the Honda wiring harness doesn't directly connect to the Ridgid lights.

I don't know about a fog light indicator on the dash. Nothing lights up on her '17 when the fog lights are on. Looking at the owner's manual for her 2017, I don't see any mention of a fog light indicator light below the high beam. Perhaps it is something that was never implemented? OR maybe the reason the switch isn't listed in the US is that the fog light indicator is also not implemented for US models? I am really not sure about that one.

The switch also does not light when on. It is a simple IN it is ON, OUT is OFF.

The kit thing gets really confusing and it seems to depend on HOW you search Honda's site. Following one link I found the 3 separate pieces you listed above at the prices you listed. Another link shows ITEM # 08T72-MKK-D00 as being the attachment kit for the 2019 Africa Twin as being the Heated Grip Attachment Kit for the 2019 Africa Twin and no mention of that $19.95 part. Come on Honda. Get your **** together :)

I have seen Honda list the kits on Amazon for $236.99 that appears to include the grips and the attachment kit. A quick search shows me the ones for the 2016 model, but I am not sure if they are actually any different.

#3 ·
PM sent.

As for fog lamp indicator, I've seen it displayed on the 17(which I'd assume is same as 16). Perhaps it's in the way they wired the switch. I've read there's a plug to the cluster perhaps. Idk.

Either way, I'll take the fog light switch. And from my searching on the grips, I kinda got the impression it's the two more expensive items. Also saw the Amazon kit shown for 16. I'd have to do some research, but I'm wondering if the attachment kit is what would be different (16/17 using the cheaper one, and I'm guessing that kit is just to locate the wiring)

I know there are wiring differences between 16/17 and 18/19 as the 18/19 takes a short pigtail accessory plug, versus the long pigtail and Y adapter for the 16/17.

I've got a OEM service manual coming that should detail the difference as it's for 16-19.

#4 ·
I am not sure. My wife's bike is a 2017. No dash light for Foglight indicator, nor any mention of one in the manual. Could this be a European version vs US version difference.

For some reason PM's are not opening in Tapatalk at the moment, but I will check them shortly :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I am not sure. My wife's bike is a 2017. No dash light for Foglight indicator, nor any mention of one in the manual. Could this be a European version vs US version difference
Apparently there's a blue/black wire at the instrument cluster that you need to supply 12v too, to light the fog light indicator. Near as I can tell, you have to provide this yourself when installing aftermarket lights. A lead from the 12v wire going to the fog lights, attached to the blue/black wire does it.

What fog lights has everyone been using? I was eyeing the kit at cyclops. Supposedly plug and play. But for me it wouldn't be as I'd be using the OEM switch(thanks @Cuchulainn ), and I'd want to power the dash light. So this is gonna require me to round up some OEM connectors(eastern beaver?)

If I gotta do that, I could just assemble my own set, but wondering if lights from cyclops are worth the premium over those offered on Amazon?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.