1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone experienced their heated grip control on the handlebars

falling apart?
Part way through a ride i noticed the front cover of the control unit had dissapeared
leaving the circuit board exposed.
do i try to claim this under warrenty?the bike is a 2017 model,try to just get another front piece,
or suck it up and pay for a complete new unit?
Any idea's?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi,
Has anyone experienced their heated grip control on the handlebars

falling apart?
Part way through a ride i noticed the front cover of the control unit had dissapeared
leaving the circuit board exposed.
do i try to claim this under warrenty?the bike is a 2017 model,try to just get another front piece,
or suck it up and pay for a complete new unit?
Any idea's?
I haven't experienced it myself. I had a 2016 AT and now a 2019 ATAS. Neither have had that issue. My wife has a 2017 that has not had that issue.

That said, I can't speak for how common or uncommon a problem it is overall.

Either way, I would definitely file a warranty claim, before you pay out of pocket. Worst case is you still end up paying out of pocket, but hopefully they will cover it or at least meet you halfway like covering the part and you cover labor. They did that for me on a rear brake sticking issue on my 2016.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I haven't had that problem in 11k miles on my 2018 bike, but interestingly the 2020 demo bike I rode has different heated grip, there is no button on the grip and it's all controlled from the main instrument cluster and the function switches. Maybe they had other reports of failures (too much heat near the switch?)
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having just talked to my
local dealership,
apparently honda are now calling the heated grips
"warm grips"!!,cos they certainly ain,t hot,
they say i,m out of warrenty,
so i,m going to put oxford grips on instead,
Thanks for your answers guys.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wonder if the OEM heated grips are improved for newer models or if it is just hit/miss. They weren't all that hot on my 2016, but unless it is cold enough they start to burn on my hands on my 2019 ATAS. I sometimes turn them on at higher altitudes, but as I come down I find I need to incrementally lower the temp as I go. I have also accidentally hit them and realize when my hands start burning that I had done so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts