Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally decided to buy new tires. I just purchased the Michelin Anakee adventure GPS tires. Figured after 15,000 miles on my 2018 AT it’s time to replace the OEM rubber. Just wanna give a shout out to the stock battle-ax tires. Outstanding performance and longevity. I went through every train you can think of except for jungle. Very good tire, long lasting semi-decent traction in mud, and decent traction in dirt. Not saying it’s a good mountain tire but for the average kind of adventure rider I think they are outstanding.

·
Registered
2020 CRF1100 basic, manual
38 Posts
Wow I never would have dreamed I'd be able to get 15,000 miles on my stock tires? If I get that, or close to it, I think I'll replace them with the same. Did you replace tubes as well?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow I never would have dreamed I'd be able to get 15,000 miles on my stock tires? If I get that, or close to it, I think I'll replace them with the same. Did you replace tubes as well?
Yeah, I would’ve never thought I’d get 15,000 miles out of the stock tires either. I’m going today to replace the tires with the Michelin atakee adventure tires. I have to replace the tubes because cycle gear, the shop that’s going to switch out the tires, requires customers to get new tubes. I guess it’s just another way to get more money, or maybe it’s a liability issue. If I was going to change the tires myself, I would keep the same tubes

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah, I would’ve never thought I’d get 15,000 miles out of the stock tires either. I’m going today to replace the tires with the Michelin atakee adventure tires. I have to replace the tubes because cycle gear, the shop that’s going to switch out the tires, requires customers to get new tubes. I guess it’s just another way to get more money, or maybe it’s a liability issue. If I was going to change the tires myself, I would keep the same tubes
It is good to know the tires and tubes lasted that long with no problems. It might be better to retire the tubes rather than use them in a new set of tires. They have done their job and done it well. If you can get an identical new set to place in the new tires, that would be the best path. Otherwise pick tubes that are equivalent or better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i have 3000 on mine and they are already well down. I reckon they are more that half wore, although mine are Bridgstone battleaxe avernture tourer so maybe less ware

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
That is crazy that you got 15,000 miles out of your OEM tires. Mine looked like that after about 6K :oops:
Yeah, this result excites me as I have 11000 kms on my A41s and there is lots of life left. However, I use 'em as road tires.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
349 Posts
Well, I finally decided to buy new tires. I just purchased the Michelin Anakee adventure GPS tires. Figured after 15,000 miles on my 2018 AT it’s time to replace the OEM rubber. Just wanna give a shout out to the stock battle-ax tires. Outstanding performance and longevity. I went through every train you can think of except for jungle. Very good tire, long lasting semi-decent traction in mud, and decent traction in dirt. Not saying it’s a good mountain tire but for the average kind of adventure rider I think they are outstanding. View attachment 64156
15,000 miles = 24000 KILOMETERS how is it possible🤔 mine went 8000 km 5000 miles and was almost worn out ❓

·
Premium Member
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
132 Posts
Guys mine got 2,500 miles and still looked new. They were dangerous and almost did a donut at 35 mph in the middle of a sharp turn. I retired them for Shinko"s which really grips the road. It's simple!!!
Hard rubber gets better mileage if that's what you want. Softer rubber gets less mileage but better traction. You only have 2 tires and I want good traction .

Enjoy the Ride
Ruff Rider

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
221 Posts
5000 miles on mine and look really good, Did change the front for something a little more dirrt/gravel worthy. Not all that happy with the mission front I bought, really hates the tar snakes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm flat out getting 15,000 km out of a rear with OEM, non-knobbly tread. The front has been there for 22,000 km, so it will make 15,000 miles (24,000 km) easily. 2-3 rear tyres per front in my experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts