Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Oem top box. Some people like it....some don't. I think it will work for my purpose. I am nervous about the rear rack holding up. I doubt I will be doing any off pavement riding. I will always be aware of the weight I have back there. These stories I have heard about the rear rack cracking, must be because of no common sense. Like, overloaded, rough off roading with top box on, etc. For pavement riding, is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Probably not. Unless you're loading the rear rack to the hilt or using the bike for heavy offroad it is unlikely you'll experience any issues other than a slight change in the handling of the bike (barely noticeable).

If you're worried you can add support brackets from GIVI - steel that goes under the rack. I did add one since I use my bike on longer tours with significant amounts of gravel, forestry and trail riding and carry the 20-22 lbs max load with cases or cargo. GIVI SR1144 is the support bracket.

I agree, those reports look like lack of common sense. I have used my rear case or rack extensively and have had no issues at all.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a 50 liter shad top box, total weight including gear 50lbs. I used this top box & Honda side bags on a 14,000 mile trip with no issues. About 30% of that was rough dirt roads to the tip of Argentina. I don’t think you’ll have any problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably not. Unless you're loading the rear rack to the hilt or using the bike for heavy offroad it is unlikely you'll experience any issues other than a slight change in the handling of the bike (barely noticeable).

If you're worried you can add support brackets from GIVI - steel that goes under the rack. I did add one since I use my bike on longer tours with significant amounts of gravel, forestry and trail riding and carry the 20-22 lbs max load with cases or cargo. GIVI SR1144 is the support bracket.

I agree, those reports look like lack of common sense. I have used my rear case or rack extensively and have had no issues at all.
Much thanks for the tip on the GIVI SR1144!

·
Registered
979 Posts
No problem. I think the broken top mount stories are overblown. I think with a bit of common sense and extra support you should be fine.

Much thanks for the tip on the GIVI SR1144!

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's a good question. According to the installation instructions there are steel supports above the carrier. It looks like the GIVI brackets would work underneath, although I'm not sure if the bolts to connect through the top case mount to the GIVI brackets would be long enough. You could always buy longer 8mm metric bolts to put everything together.

Honda Top Case Mount Instructions - 08L70-MJP-G50

Does the Givi SR1144 also fit with Honda OEM topcase carrier?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts