Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Can you roll start the DCT model in teh case where you have a flat battery?
No
And you must be very cautious when jump starting them too, these batteries do not handle jolts of amperage and voltage very well at all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well,
I can tell you this. I sometimes go for REAL early morning rides. I don't want to wake the CEO up so, my house has down hill streets running from it. So, I hop on the bike, and coast it for about 2 blocks. As I'm approaching a stop sign, while I'm coasting silently, I reach over and turn on the key. I then start the bike. BUT, if I try and put that DCT into the D mode, IT WILL NOT GO INTO THAT MODE, WHILE THE BIKE IS MOVING! I have tried it multiple times and, each and every time, it will not go into either the D or S mode if that bike is not COMPLETELY stopped.

Sooooo, that means that you cannot put it into the D mode, with the engine off, then try and coast it to start it, because the engine ECM or IMU or, whatever's controlling all that communications, will not let it do anything, until all the correct parameters are met. And that means a DEAD STOP. Hope this answers your question.
Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder if the manual model can be roll started if the battery is absolutely dead flat...with efi sometimes they cant...but with lithium is should never get to dead flat so maybe that is never an issue. Not a big deal, but handy thing to know in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
No modern motorcycle can be bump started. Nor can any modern car. They all need enough residual power for their computers, without that they can’t start (think no Fuel Injection).
Not true. The 2014 Honda CB1100 is about as modern as any of the large Honda line-up, sans the DCT.

Battery died a few times (I was pushing my luck). I was lucky to be able push/bump start it successfully several times. Lucky me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The DCT cannot be push started or bump started. Honda recommends not boosting, especially if your bike has a Lithium battery. A lithium portable battery booster may work if you must but be very careful if you go that route and definitely do not boost from another running vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not true. The 2014 Honda CB1100 is about as modern as any of the large Honda line-up, sans the DCT.

Battery died a few times (I was pushing my luck). I was lucky to be able push/bump start it successfully several times. Lucky me.
Then I'd suggest that the battery wasn't totally dead. Not enough power to turn over the starter but enough to power the electronics. The real test would be to disconnect the battery and try to bump start the bike. With old bikes you could do that, new ones, again, you can't. At least that's been my experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Then I'd suggest that the battery wasn't totally dead. Not enough power to turn over the starter but enough to power the electronics. The real test would be to disconnect the battery and try to bump start the bike. With old bikes you could do that, new ones, again, you can't. At least that's been my experience.
Sure, it would be unlikely the battery would be completely dead while on tour. In my case it was about 10V no load.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts