Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the recommended off road settings for the Twin DCT?
Usually I switch ABS off, put the G button ON & switch OFF traction control.
is this the best way to go?
also what exactly does the G mode do for the bike?

·
Registered
223 Posts
On gravel fire roads: ABS off, Gravel mode, traction lowest setting, sport mode 3, this lets me hang the back end out & power slide around corners, loose hills, sand & mud always have traction control off, If Im riding in harder more technical terrain I switch traction control off & go to full manual mode.

G-Mode” (Gravel Mode) is designed to change gears with less slippage and give you a more connected feeling to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Do Not use the gravel mode [I was told by a honda dealer ] this only limit your rev and if you need throtled ! I also put mine in Sport mode 2 more response and more engine break. Of course traction control off. Cheers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Do Not use the gravel mode [I was told by a honda dealer ] this only limit your rev and if you need throtled ! I also put mine in Sport mode 2 more response and more engine break. Of course traction control off. Cheers.
I wouldn't be going back to that dealer, Gravel mode does not limit your revs, you can still redline when you want to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It all depends on how fast you want to ride on gravel and what sort of tires you have. The bike is so good that you can stay in D mode ABS and TC on and its usually fine if you tootle around. The limitations occur when you want to go faster. I agree the consensus gravel settings are S1-3, G on, ABS back wheel only off, TC off or on lowest on setting. Truth is it's your bike on your road and you can choose settings that suit you - eg TC on lowest setting is helpful to stop skidding climbing up a rutted hill, but for climbing up a bank out of a stream or going sideways around a gravel corner you will need to have it off totally. ABS off may mean you can skid the rear brake to cut your speed down on gravel breaking in a straight line - but leaving ABS on may also save your bacon on gravel if you get into an uncontrolled skid while braking heavily eg transition from gravel to mud or wet clay.
The big thing is this bike is a wonderfully forgiving friend that has been so well designed and built it is a pleasure to ride every single time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, allow me to ask you if someone drives the 2018 AfricaTwin DCT, in the winter and what would be your adjustment (safety above all) and the tire pressure on the Winter Grip Plus - ANLAS Tire. Thank you very much

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here is an extended discussion of the G-mode
https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...-what-does-g-button-really-do.html#post297273

As far as settings for offroad riding- that is for you to try and decide- 80 combinations to choose from.
2018 models will have many more choices due to expanded levels of TC and power modes.
Everyone has a different riding style and rides on different turf although they all call it "offroad".

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts