Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin MT, 2013 KTM 350 six days, Yamaha Vmax (bar hopper)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon guys

anyone fitted Ohlin rear shock and front cartridge to their 2021 AT ?
Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light

I live in Thailand, I contacted Ohlin direct asking what they would recommend, they have suggested the below upgrade, I pretty heavy at 105kg without gear on.... They have said I have to buy the heavier springs separate as the don't sell kits with fat ass springs.

Price for the extra fat springs was just over 200 dollars...

Wondering how others got on with this sort of set up, I did want the fork replacements until I saw the price......

Cheers Jake

Rear shock
HO 649 sold separated the optional spring for rider 105Kg.+(Luggage/ riding gear not over 25 Kg.) part no. 20580-36 Spring 57/250/105.

Cartridge Kit
Öhlins FKA Cartridge Kit Adventure FKA 110 - Öhlins Onlineshop
FKA 110 Cartridge Kit (Sold separated the Spring and Fluid). I recommended spring part no. 08434-80 Spring kit, Front fork 41/445/ 8.0 tapered.

Font Cylinder Art Diagram Machine
Font Parallel Rectangle Number

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have rear shock and fork fitted . Let me just tell you something cause maybe you are not aware of : your bike it´s an asia model , that´s mean those are 25 to 30 mm lowered compare to the "normal" if you gonna fit this suspension with stiff springs the bike will be round about 40 to 45 mm higher ( so you will need "rest of the world version" of sidestand and mainstand)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have rear shock and fork fitted . Let me just tell you something cause maybe you are not aware of : your bike it´s an asia model , that´s mean those are 25 to 30 mm lowered compare to the "normal" if you gonna fit this suspension with stiff springs the bike will be round about 40 to 45 mm higher
Thanks Ghost rider, that would actually be good as I have the seat on the high position, I'm 6ft so no worries , that would stop using the seat in the high position which I find a nightmare to fit right, or is it just me lol...

·
Registered
672 Posts
I did a Stiff set on mine , due the little size wheels but i´m not doing off-road at all .

Reactions: JakeDix

·
Registered
676 Posts
On my 18 ATAS I have Ohlins FKA111 fork cartridges with 7.5N springs and HO648 shock with 105N spring. At the time weighed more around 110Kg and the spring rates were good and sag set. 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventures Sports ATAS - Ohlins...

The 105N shock spring is a good option at your weight and if you're going to be loaded or with passenger. Here they don't charge extra for the optional shock spring rate but may be different in your country. The cartridge kits don't include the springs so you're paying for the springs regardless. I do feel the 8.0N fork springs would be too stiff, may have trouble setting sag correctly and would feel a bit harsh in some conditions. On mine, with 7.5N springs the front transmits a lot of feedback on rippled and rough pavement and I ended up backing the preload out after adjusting compression and rebound to help but still noticeable at times. I bought a set of 6.5N springs and going to swap one of the 7.5N for a 6.5N to see if that helps. I would consider 7.5N on fork spring rate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my 18 ATAS I have Ohlins FKA111 fork cartridges with 7.5N springs and HO648 shock with 105N spring. At the time weighed more around 110Kg and the spring rates were good and sag set. 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventures Sports ATAS - Ohlins...

The 105N shock spring is a good option at your weight and if you're going to be loaded or with passenger. Here they don't charge extra for the optional shock spring rate but may be different in your country. The cartridge kits don't include the springs so you're paying for the springs regardless. I do feel the 8.0N fork springs would be too stiff, may have trouble setting sag correctly and would feel a bit harsh in some conditions. On mine, with 7.5N springs the front transmits a lot of feedback on rippled and rough pavement and I ended up backing the preload out after adjusting compression and rebound to help but still noticeable at times. I bought a set of 6.5N springs and going to swap one of the 7.5N for a 6.5N to see if that helps. I would consider 7.5N on fork spring rate.
Thanks for the information, that's very interesting, it was Ohlin Asia that recommended that 8.0N spring.

·
Registered
2017 DCT(sold), 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT Hack Rig
636 Posts
Ohlins front, rear and on the hack wheel: 2021 Adv Sport

Almost cried, pulling the electronic suspension off, but wanted the Leading Link (Earles type forks) for the sidecar to change trail to a more manageable amount.

Have about 3,200 miles on the unit. Rear shock is an upgrade over the stock Showa ES unit. Sad that I have to actually touch it to adjust it, but such is life.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Fuel tank Plant

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

Car Hood Light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Sidecar shop screwed me over on the hack side shock; was supposed to be identical to bike rear, but they cheaped out and put on something from a Royal Enfield with no remote resevoir and no compression adjust. Still works great, but not what I paid for.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
942 Posts
Went end-to-end with Öhlins 2 years ago. Here's the journey described for the Forum. Enjoy!

Love the ride today!

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
942 Posts
[...]
Have about 3,200 miles on the unit. Rear shock is an upgrade over the stock Showa ES unit. Sad that I have to actually touch it to adjust it, but such is life.
[...]
Whoa, dude! What an amazing transformation. I can't imagine what the cost must have been. At the risk of hi-jacking the thread, what are your plans for this beastie? Maybe in a separate thread?

Go safely out there.

Reactions: JakeDix and Beowulf

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
Whoa, dude! What an amazing transformation. I can't imagine what the cost must have been. At the risk of hi-jacking the thread, what are your plans for this beastie? Maybe in a separate thread?

Go safely out there.
@Beowulf has been running an associated journey topic thread for a year now?

·
Registered
2017 DCT(sold), 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT Hack Rig
636 Posts

Go safely out there.
Hey @WeeWilly, here is the thread that captures a lot of my thinking that led to the build:

2021 ATAS ES Hack Build Thread

My goal ended up being to build a highly off road capable side car rig, similar to a Ural, but with about twice the horsepower, better suspension, and Honda reliability. Want to be able to take it most places in the world, with a heavy emphasis on local riding in the Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada region.

I think I achieved the goal, but am still working out problems associated with a wonky builder. It is a real learning experience to build a rig like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went end-to-end with Öhlins 2 years ago. Here's the journey described for the Forum. Enjoy!

Love the ride today!
Cheers Willy, I have gone for the below, in USD its about $2500 fitted, will get it fitted in a few weeks when I get home from work, looking forward to getting them on and some new tyres and hitting the trails in the jungle...never taking the AT off road yet, I have KTM 350excf for jungle fun, will be fun trying out the AT....

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

1 - 14 of 14 Posts